ruins in the four corners area

kansas

I'll be driving from Wisconsin to go hiking in the San Rafael Swell in October. We'll be driving east on I-70.

We'd like to see some ruins. Can anyone suggest something that we could reach in a passenger car with a hike of 4 miles or less? The closer it is to I-70 the better, as some of us have time constraints.

Hanging Lake outside of Glenwood Springs CO is a fantastic hike. No ruins, but definitely pretty waterfalls.

Check out the Sego Pictographs, near the town of Thompson Springs. Actually, there are tons of petroglyphs/pictographs out there in that area. Mr Swell @Udink knows the area as well as anyone, and better then most.

Your original question is pretty vague, and covers a lot of ground. How close are you actually getting to the 4-corners, or are you instead closer to the San Rafael Swell & I-70?

We're for sure hiking in the Reef around Temple Mount. We're traveling on I-70 cause its fast and its a long way from Cheeseland the Swell. I'm trying to find ruins - structures - that we could get to that wouldn't add any more driving than necessary.

So it sounds like you're looking more along I-70 in The Swell, right? There are tons of ruins actually down in the four corners area, but that's a long drive from 70/Swell.

That's what I was hoping for.

We can always go to Grand Gulch, but I've been there a couple of times.

There's plenty of rock art but I'm not aware of any significant ruins around there. Not to say they don't exist, I'm just not aware of any. I guess there's Range Creek but I think you need to reserve a permit.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
BeardoMcGrath Fiftymile Mountain rim and ruins tour: 13 May 2023 Hiking & Camping 12
Reef&Ruins Nevada Mining Ruins/Ghost Towns Trip Planning 6
Stephanie B Searchin' for Ruins and Rock Art in San Juan County, UT Hiking & Camping 6
powderglut Camping By the Henry Mts, Slots, and Cedar Mesa Ruins Hiking & Camping 9
piper01 Moon House Ruins, Cedar Mesa Hiking & Camping 0
Devin Ashby Cedar Mesa - Road Canyon - Fallen Roof Ruins Backpacking 6
kansas ruins at Comb Ridge Trip Planning 3
Bob West Clear Creek Ruins Backpacking 7
Eugene Anasazi Ruins Exploration Trip Planning 5
jonmessina Lewis Lodge Ruins Trip Planning 2
Alison RUINS....which ones? Trip Planning 9
IntrepidXJ Cedar Mesa Ruins & Rock Art Hiking & Camping 1
IntrepidXJ Easter Weekend Ruins & Rock Art Hiking & Camping 2
IntrepidXJ Moon House Ruins & Upper Johns Canyon Hiking & Camping 8
IntrepidXJ Album Rock Art and Ruins Photography 631
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Four / Day Four Backpacking 15
RyanP Four Days in the IPW (8/9 - 8/12) Backpacking 17
D Four Days in the Maze, April 17-20 2023 Backpacking 7
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
2eez4life Four lakes or Naturalist Trip Planning 5
Mountain Wanderer Four Lakes Basin in the Southern Cabinet Mountains - Montana Backpacking 12
Laura V. Four Days in Salt Creek Canyon, April 2021 Backpacking 31
napatony13 Four Day, Four State Petroglyph Tour Hiking & Camping 10
WasatchWill The High Uintas 4-4-4: Four Basins, Four Passes, Four Days Backpacking 20
NorthwestWanderer Big Four Ice Caves Hiking & Camping 1
Mikjik86 Backpacking Four Pass Loop Backpacking 2
Boognish Four days in the High Sierra Backpacking 10
Nick Four Wheel Campers General Discussion 81
regehr Three of the Four American Fork Twin Peaks Hiking & Camping 10
Joey Backpacking Colorado's Maroon Bells, Snowmass Wilderness, Four Pass Loop in mid October Backpacking 21
danger02ward Grandaddy Basin, Four Lakes Basin, Cyclone Pass Backpacking 0
Shannon Three-four day loop trail ideas? Trip Planning 2
natylka 23 miles of GrandDaddy Basin and Four Lakes Backpacking in July Backpacking 2
ram Part four- Bargain Basement Canyoneering 1
Unimog Four Pass Loop this August Trip Planning 8
Nick Four Lakes Basin - Uintas Backpacking 12
katuah Jeep repair near 4 corners? General Discussion 0