Ruby Horsethief

Nick

-
Something happened to me in early July this year that made me really want to spend more time on rivers. Reading The Emerald Mile definitely helped. Also a lot to do with the fact that my knee is still jacked and significant backpacking feels forever out of reach. So shortly after my paddle trip into Green River Lakes, I set out with some friends to float the Colorado River through Horsethief and Ruby Canyons.

We planned this with little notice, but that was okay. Out of the four of us we had tremendously flexible scheduling. A nurse, a school teacher on summer leave, an architect/photographer and I don't even know what to call myself lately. A Mon-Wed trip worked out great and permits were wide open. After a 4 hour drive from Salt Lake, @slc_dan, Jodi and I arrived in Fruita, Colorado where we met up with @gnwatts at Rimrock Adventures. The normal launch for Ruby Horsethief is about 5-6 miles downstream at Loma, CO, but we had hired Rimrock to move our vehicles and with that we had the option for a longer first day float. The weather was nice so it seemed like a no brainer.

The water flows had just dropped down to around 4,000 CFS, perfect for a leisurely float. We were on the river Aug 3-5.
colorado-river-gauge.jpg

Departing pic from the launch in Fruita.
ruby-horsethief-1.jpg

The next 6 miles to Loma weren't the most scenic if you're expecting big canyon walls, but it was still very nice and worthwhile since we had some extra time. Here's Dan and Jodi and their pup Mya.
ruby-horsethief-2.jpg

And Greg and his canoe (with a lot of our stuff in it). Luxuries! :)
ruby-horsethief-3.jpg

After a couple hours we finally passed by the usual Loma launch site and entered Ruby Horsethief.
ruby-horsethief-4.jpg

Oh, hi Sage. It seems like all I post are pictures of her ass in my boat, so I figured I'd post one of her actually looking at the camera.
ruby-horsethief-5.jpg

Dan returns to the mothership for a beer resupply.
ruby-horsethief-6.jpg

Jodi drifts along a cottonwood-lined river bank.
ruby-horsethief-7.jpg

Bliss.
ruby-horsethief-8.jpg

We had Cottonwood #3 booked the first night, but it turned out it was a stones throw from Cottonwood #2 which had a better beach, so we camped there. If it had been a weekend, that wouldn't have been an option. While our site was fine, I'll probably avoid the Cottonwood sites in the future. They are very close together.

We had a nice sunset that night followed by a couple hours of watching lightning on the horizon. At one point Dan started whistling and we got a little chorus going with the local coyotes. That was cool. Eventually the lightning made its way to us and everyone ran to bed. I hadn't pitched a tent yet so I had the pleasure of doing that in high winds. Good times.
ruby-horsethief-9.jpg

The next morning we took our time before loading up the boats and heading back out on the river. Either an otter or a beaver swam past making a bit of a ruckus out on the river. My vote is on otter.
ruby-horsethief-10.jpg ruby-horsethief-11.jpg

I was the first through the biggest 'rapids' of the trip (so far). After getting through, I eddied out and got onto the shore to take pics of the others.
ruby-horsethief-12.jpg

Jodi was next, bobbing up and down between the waves in Llewellyn.
ruby-horsethief-13.jpg

Then Dan and Mya in Great Bend, the only boat really built for whitewater on the trip.
ruby-horsethief-15.jpg

And then Greg came along in his canoe. He took on a lot of water. We were all pretty scared what might happen if the canoe capsized.
ruby-horsethief-17.jpg ruby-horsethief-19.jpg

After the rapids, you can still see the water dumping into the canoe. It took a lot of pumping to get that thing mostly dried out.
ruby-horsethief-20.jpg

Continuing on down the river, Sage decided the dry bags on the bow would not stop her from her favorite place on the boat.
ruby-horsethief-21.jpg ruby-horsethief-22.jpg

She's a great boat dog.
ruby-horsethief-23.jpg

Jodi and Dan.
ruby-horsethief-24.jpg ruby-horsethief-26.jpg

As we passed Mee Canyon, the scenery became a little more typical of the Colorado Plateau.
ruby-horsethief-27.jpg

Approaching Doggone Island, Black Rocks and the monocline.
ruby-horsethief-29.jpg

Dan snoozing in Great Bend.
ruby-horsethief-30.jpg

At Doggone Island, the river split and a nice 'rapid' formed on the right. I put rapid in quotes because I know it was only class 2 and not really a rapid, but for a canoe, that is a big ass rapid! I hit it first and rolled through big 3-4 foot waves. Jodi was right behind me. I spun around in time to watch Greg hit it, hoping that he could keep the bow straight into the waves and make it through. To my dismay, he hit it at a hard angle, maybe 45 degrees. Again, not big waves for a whitewater raft but for a canoe, these were BIG BIG waves!! The water was still too turbulent for me to take photos, I just sat and watched thinking that our dinner was about to go for a swim. But amazingly, Greg pulled it off and made it through the long, deep wave train at Doggone.

ruby-horsethief-31.jpg ruby-horsethief-32.jpg
Soon we entered Black Rocks. There was a bit of swift water at the top, but then we were able to look around and take in the amazing scenery. The rock here is the same (or at least very similar) as the Vishnu schist in the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Geologists call this a great unconformity because the Vishnu schist is something like 1.9 billion years old but it is right up against sandstone that is only 400 million years old. In other places there are many other layers between the two, but not here. Wild! (Disclaimer: my stats are just from stuff I read in maps and online. I may not be 100% accurate with age of rocks).
ruby-horsethief-33.jpg

Dan heading downstream while I hide out in a little eddy in upper Black Rocks.
ruby-horsethief-34.jpg

Approaching our campsite in lower Black Rocks, #9. All of the sites in this area look spectacular, but I really did appreciate the one we had (also the last one).
ruby-horsethief-35.jpg

Life on the river. Beach boats, unload boats. Swim. Sit in shade. Drink. Swim. Snack. Repeat.
ruby-horsethief-36.jpg

Did I say swim? This campsite had an awesome eddy with a gradual beach to hang out in without getting swept away by the river.
ruby-horsethief-37.jpg

And lets not forget those incredible spires behind camp.
ruby-horsethief-38.jpg

Later in the evening I put my camera into my new Outex waterproof case and Dan and I took a walk upstream.
ruby-horsethief-39.jpg

The plan was to float down the river taking photos of the amazing Vishnu schist from river level. Here we go!
ruby-horsethief-40.jpg

But there was one problem. Sage followed us up canyon but didn't understand when I told her to stay on shore and follow us back to camp. After getting out into the current, she jumped in (sans PFD) and came out to us. She swims fine but it isn't really her favorite thing. Letting me get out of her sight on the other hand is just not okay.
ruby-horsethief-41.jpg

My hands were full with my big camera so Dan took on the responsibility of hanging on to Sage while we floated downstream.
ruby-horsethief-42.jpg ruby-horsethief-43.jpg

This was one of the shots I wanted. I saw it from the kayak with the point and shoot, but getting out the SLR wasn't convenient at the time. It's so cool to see the Vishnu schist with the sandstone shooting up into classic form in the background.
ruby-horsethief-44.jpg

I got caught in a good current and eventually had to just drop my camera into the water and swim my ass off for the shore. The Outex case performed well in this scenario. Once I got to shore, I was able to get some unusual angles.
ruby-horsethief-45.jpg
ruby-horsethief-46.jpg ruby-horsethief-47.jpg ruby-horsethief-48.jpg

Back on the shore I put the camera on a tripod and put on a 10 stop ND filter to get a glassed out look of the river.
ruby-horsethief-49.jpg

I didn't have to cook or bring dinner either night on this trip! Night 1 was halibut, rice and veggies from Dan and Jodi and night 2 was carne asada from Greg. Score!
ruby-horsethief-50.jpg

These must have a name, right?
ruby-horsethief-51.jpg

I didn't bother setting up a tent that night. The bugs weren't bad (way better than the first night), and no storms seemed to be threatening. Some trains rolled through earlier in the night which were pretty crazy. Lots of light and noise, but nothing after bed time. It was nice to sleep on nothing but a pad in that deep, soft sand. When the sun smacked me in the face in the morning, all I had to do was move my pad to a shadier spot and go back to sleep.

Slowly everyone else crawled out of bed. We ate breakfast and watched several other groups float down the river past camp. Sage loved the shade of Greg's tarp.
ruby-horsethief-52.jpg

We had about 8 miles of river left to the float the next day. Most of it was very calm, especially compared to the few 'rapids' we'd seen the previous day.
ruby-horsethief-53.jpg

Sage testing out life on the canoe.
ruby-horsethief-54.jpg

Crazy array of lines along the railroad tracks. I think these must be old telegraph lines. Anyone know?
ruby-horsethief-56.jpg

After exiting the canyon, but before arriving at Westwater, the scenery is wide open. A long line of Cottonwoods line the banks.
ruby-horsethief-57.jpg ruby-horsethief-58.jpg

Soon we found ourselves at the Westwater ranger station, the site of our takeout. Just as planned, our vehicles were there waiting for us, thanks to Rimrock. We deflated and unloaded and were on the road in no time. It's hard to imagine a much better float. Maybe someday soon I'll have the gear and experience to keep floating down into Westwater.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Last edited:
Love those water-level shots. Sounds like y'all had a nice, relaxing trip. What kinda bird lives in those mud nests below that overhang?

Nice! And awesome, river Chuck Taylors for Greg I see :)

They dry quick and are still quite stylish.
Great shots Nick.

I must say I have never been so frightened and stoked at the same time on a river. My idea of a difficult canoe trip is the effort involved in opening another beer on nice, calm flat water. My canoe is a lake canoe, but held it's line quite nicely, even after taking in 8" of water. What a great stretch of water this is, and the black rocks area is spectacular.
The put in at Rimrock:

I0000j04rTzgQpHs.jpg

Nicks tent at our first campspot:

I0000yrJyLA8.XHI.jpg

Dan and Jodi's tent further back in the cottonwoods:

I00002HCnSjY__a4.jpg

The next day:

I0000HPCqmpONnb4.jpg

I0000YdoGMwXPyDg.jpg

I0000VD2NsTex0wY.jpg

I0000TgtAg0zrkEs.jpg

Mya at our Black Rocks camp:

I0000yFvp6uFxNb0.jpg

Nick (with camera), Dan and Sage:

I0000ScfkgCoZt24.jpg

I0000NHG3oHpe15s.jpg

Nick:

I0000i2F.pCc0v6w.jpg

Nick caught in the current, which is pretty fast here. It was touch and go, but he made it back:

I00005aGRJWpeh2k.jpg

From our campspot at Black Rocks:

I0000jF_H0XLlQTU.jpg

I0000oquK2tzT6w0.jpg

I0000XCb4grvHxrU.jpg

It was a beautiful night with the moon about to rise, when a train decided to pass us by, the first of several that evening. I got it as focused as conditions would allow:

I0000XCTO3PtDIxQ.jpg

Next morning:

I00004tdlDrJ7pOQ.jpg

I0000xTbHAaOxuDU.jpg

I00004ED9Un7ph4Y.jpg

I0000DSItq9xG5Zg.jpg

It was a great trip.
Thanks Nick for organizing and getting us together.

Last edited:
Are you sure they aren't swallows?

Ah yes, you're right. They sound too much alike.

Excellent photos, Greg. Thanks for posting those.

I must say I have never been so frightened and stoked at the same time on a river. My idea of a difficult canoe trip is the effort involved in opening another beer on nice, calm flat water. My canoe is a lake canoe, but held it's line quite nicely, even after taking in 8" of water.

I was reading up on floating the Green below Flaming Gorge today. For that stretch canoes are required to have a boat flotation device that fills up 1/3 of the space inside the canoe. Made me realize how bad it could have gotten if you'd dumped or just taken on too much water in that big one right before Black Rocks. Next time I'll carry the coolers in my raft! :)

thats a fun trip, great TR and pics. Westwater is a step up for sure but still only class 3...big water class 3. Rig to flip!
Last place you will see the Precambrian schist until the Grand Canyon.

I was thinking there were a few class IV rapids in there. Regardless, I'm already dreaming of continuing on into Westwater once I get some whitewater experience under my belt. I'm in the process of building up a 14' raft that should be able to handle it nicely. :)

At really big water it will start to feel like class IV, but lower flows its very manageable. Skull is a huge hole but avoidable. Big long pools to collect gear and people if you flip. And dogs. Geological wonderland.

At really big water it will start to feel like class IV, but lower flows its very manageable. Skull is a huge hole but avoidable. Big long pools to collect gear and people if you flip. And dogs. Geological wonderland.
Just avoid the hole and if you happen to smack right into the Rock of Shock make SURE you aren't knocked to the right and forced into the Room of DOOM! People disappear in there :) (well, or have to disassemble their raft and pack the constituent parts up out of there).

Westwater was my first ever row as captain. Special memories. I whacked the Rock but fell off to the left....

Last edited:
Skull looks pretty wild in the videos I've seen. I didn't know you rowed that kind of stuff, Art. Still into rowing rivers at all?
Well, I've run a number of desert rivers in my day - some a number of times. Westwater was only one of two where I actually captained a ship - the other being a time I was forced off my boat off the San Juan, put on the ground by a machine gun-pointing UHP officer and unceremoniously hauled away from my ship - but that is a different story :)

I kind of paused my white water activities because the sport is a bit sedentary for me - if you can believe it. I moved more into rock climbing and now backpacking. I passed on two invites for the Big Ditch on privates with friends even. I DO plan to get back into it when I am retired with more free time and I WILL be going down the Grand even if I have to buy a ride. This is greatly reinforced with the first three chapters, thus far, of the Emerald Mile that you and @Austin turned me on to. What a book..

Last edited:
Wow. I'd love to hear that UHP story sometime. I see what you mean about it being too sedentary. Great if your knee doesn't work well though. That book = river fever.

Sad news from Ruby Horsethief over this past weekend. I read this on Mountain Buzz (http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f14/dog-island-burned-down-59094.html)

Dog Island burned down
Last night on Ruby-Horsethief. Went to bed around 1030 to a lightning show, woke up at midnight to smoke and ash in the air and a crazy orange glow on the wall and sky above Black Rock camps. We assumed it was a lightning strike and sat up timidly watching it approach the ridge behind camp. Railroad came through in service vehicles and told campers to evacuate, but shortly after the rangers motored down and told everyone to stay put. Turns out the group at Dog Island decided the fire ban didn't pertain to them and that it was appropriate to set off fireworks. They lit up the island like the 4th of July and the flames jumped the river and climbed up the ridge on the south bank..... I would imagine some kind of legal consequences will be forth coming...

@gnwatts and @slc_dan, that's the island that made the biggest 'rapids' of the trip where Greg came in sideways. aka Doggone Island.

Great trip report and very timely for me! I am floating Ruby Horsethief with my sister, (from Ohio to see what all my ravings are about!), and my daughter in 3 weeks. We each will be in our own Sea Eagle 330. This will be my first time off of the lake with the kayak. My sister has more experience on rivers as she lives close to the Little Miami River and paddles there. Anyway I have the following questions:
1). What are you storing your camera equipment in? I'm considering a Pelican Case, but that's just one more expense on what was supposed to be "cheap trip".
2.) According to the BLM permit, we are required to have bear proof food storage units. I considered the dried stuff, but decided on purchasing a bear resistant cooler instead. $235.00 (included buying Sam's Club membership) later I see your photos and wonder if that is necessary? Here in Boulder, bears are being relocated every day from town.
3.) Do you advise that we each carry an extra paddle in our kayaks?

I had not thought of bringing a tarp for shade, but I see it was used a lot! So, considering that too. We are camping at Banjo and Black Rocks #5.

Enjoyed all of the photos, especially from river level and the night photos.

Thanks for sharing and any advice!

1). What are you storing your camera equipment in? I'm considering a Pelican Case, but that's just one more expense on what was supposed to be "cheap trip".

For this trip I used a Canon S95 point and shoot in a small pelican case that I kept clipped to a D ring on my Sea Eagle. I also used my DSLR. On the river it was usually in a dry bag but I also have an Outex case for it which made swimming with my camera possible. So far I have mixed feelings on that case.

The water is usually calm and flat enough that taking your camera in and out of a dry bag isn't that big of a deal. I don't think it's worth investing in a pelican box for a DSLR unless you plan to need it a lot.

2.) According to the BLM permit, we are required to have bear proof food storage units. I considered the dried stuff, but decided on purchasing a bear resistant cooler instead. $235.00 (included buying Sam's Club membership) later I see your photos and wonder if that is necessary? Here in Boulder, bears are being relocated every day from town.

That's news to me. We didn't take bear precautions and I don't remember being told that we needed to. There were signs in camp to be bear aware, but that was it. They did tell us we had to have a fire pan regardless of the fact that a fire ban is in place. They suggested a disposable roasting pan for that.

3.) Do you advise that we each carry an extra paddle in our kayaks?

I think the rule is that you must carry one extra paddle per three kayaks.