Roof Top Tents

trasmuson3

My wife and I went to the Sportman's Expo this weekend and have been talking a lot lately about getting a roof top tent for our xterra. We saw them at the expo, and they looked pretty sweet. Does anyone have one and what are your thought's on them. Are they as convenient and good as they look? If you do have one of these, what brand do you have or recommend?

1426435331.jpeg

http://cascadiatents.com/Mt-Shasta-Roof-Top-Tent.htm?m=87&s=615&&id=116

I have been thinking about one for my Xterra as well. I like the ones that do not sit on the ground but I am unsure about losing my roof rack.

From what it looks like to me, I'd have to pull my aftermarket off and I don't think I'd have enough space for all my stuff.

upload_2016-3-21_23-1-32.png

I heard they are kinda wobbly but have not used one...plus as nick said always have to fold it up to drive anywhere

I briefly considered them a while ago, but having 2 dogs is pretty much a no go. I do like looks of Autohome RTTs, pricey though.

As addle-brained as I become at times, I would be that guy driving down the road with a broken roof-top tent flapping in the wind behind me.

Reactions: Bob
I owned an ARB model for a year. I used it probably 20-30 times. All my friends had one, which was nice since it really only permits a certain type of camping. Ultimately, almost all of my friends ended up selling theirs within a year. Some loved them, some didn't. Selling my RTT was one of the greatest days of my life, as I went out and bought the best backpacking gear I could find, and have been super happy ever since. I don't miss it for a second. I can still car-camp with my backpacking gear, but I couldn't backpack with my RTT.

That doesn't mean it's not for you though, i have a few friends who have them and like them. Ultimately, RTTs are a marketing phenomenon. We can all justify the reasons we "need" one (it's safer, It's cleaner, I'm off the ground so bears won't get me, etc), but don't be fooled into thinking "if only I had ______ piece of gear, I would camp more." I've found that there's no one piece of gear that will get people out more.

If all the friends you camp with don't RTTs too, you may disagree on the best places to camp, as they're not limited to places you can park.

Here's a good article a buddy of mine wrote;
https://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?70805-Is-a-rooftop-tent-(RTT)-for-me

Here are my opinions:

Pros:
- they look cool and get you "Kool kids" points
- it's always with you
- it's up off the ground (some people really have issues with "bugs" on the ground)
- they're fairly easy to set up (though I'm quicker with a typical REI ground tent)
- the "treehouse" factor is awesome. It's pretty fun to be up there looking over your camp.
- they get pretty dark, allowing you to sleep well past sunrise
- you can leave your bedding inside. no need to roll up sleeping bags or pads

Cons
- they're very expensive for what they are. Let me rephrase that: they're extremely expensive for what they are. Most of them are pretty crappy tents. Think $100 big 5 tent quality. A springbar is 10x better quality than any RTT under $2k.
- interior design/pockets/layout/features were stupid. In my mind, they're designed for looks first, then functionality. Every single tent at REI has better pockets, zippers, layout, and features for 1/5 the price.
- you can only camp where your vehicle is parked. If there's a gorgeous vista or meadow 100' away, you're stuck camping on the dirt road on top of your vehicle.
- to get a level camping experience, you have to level your vehicle before setting up your tent
- it's always with you. You're carrying a 150-200lb brick on the top of your car
- lots of weight up high
- it's up off the ground. Have to pee in the middle of the night? you're now going to have to climb down a freezing cold ladder. Not a huge issue, but it turned out to be more of a pain than we imagined.
- the mattress was EXTREMELY uncomfortable. Seriously, I'd rather sleep on the dirt with no mattress. It was that bad.
- Extremely cold in snow/winter. We took it out a few times, but it had major condensation and with all the air swirling around underneath you, it never really got warm
- you're not going to want to base-camp out of it, unless it's mounted on a trailer.
- In my experience, it's not faster to set up than a ground tent
- if it rains on you with the tent deployed, you have to fold it all up away wet before you can drive. With a traditional tent, you can leave the rain fly out of its stuff sack to dry while you're driving
- when you get home, you can't easily dry your tent out without rendering your vehicle useless. Mind wouldn't fit in my garage deployed, so I'd have to wait for a non-rainy day, set it up outside, then not use my truck during the drying time. This was a HUGE reason I got rid of it.
- it's really best used for multi-day trips where you're traveling by vehicle and staying at a different spot every night.

As you can tell, for me, it's a no-go. Sure, they look cool, but for $1500-2500, I could buy the world's best backpacking sleeping pad, bag, tent, and pack, and still sleep more comfortably. And it'll all fit in a small 12"x12"x12" box, allowing me to get better mpg, more mobility, and more versatility.

Ironically, I'm now gearing up to get a pop-top installed on my van (which is pretty much a rooftop tent.) Go figure. Some people (like me) have to buy one to try it to see if it's for me.

I wonder how they would stand up in some of that Plateau wind that seems to come up so hard so often in spring and fall. They are high profile and don't look to have a wind shedding profile at all like a good dome...

Mine did quite well in winds. It was built strong, with heavy materials,

I think i may have talked myself put of a pop top for my van. All the cons of a rtt apply to a pop top too.

Mine did quite well in winds. It was built strong, with heavy materials,

Steve I trust your judgment on that but with the strong materials that most tents are made of today I was not sweating that part. Does it sway and flap like that Mexican train I rode into the topics years ago while you are holding on for dear life all night long? We have seen 65mph winds most every time we have been up there during two-week periods so it is good to be prepared for that. Some of our tents have preformed way better than other tents we have used. Those above look like wind catchers even if they were not sticking up like that. But maybe they are just fine?

With the window flaps open they can be a bit of a windcatcher, but in high winds you can remove the metal rods and just tie them down so they're closed.

If your RTT sways, it's an issue with your vehicle. I had zero sway in mine.

To be honest, I've never been comfortable sleeping in 65mph winds no matter what tent I'm in. A RTT isn't going to blow away, and it's not going to break in 65mph winds. Are there better tents for super high wind? Sure, hilleberg comes to mind. A RTT won't shed wind like a hilleberg, but it's going to be similar to a springbar in the wind. I felt super sturdy in my RTT in the high wind camping I did (though it was closer to 40 mph winds).

If 90% of your camping is in high winds, I'd recommend getting a tent specifically built for high-winds. Every tent will be a compromise of some sort. The RTTs are PLENTY sturdy though (assuming your mount and rack is sturdy).

Last edited:
A few pics from past trips.

IMG_3592.JPG

IMG_2893.JPG

A buddy of mine had a flippack for a while, and it was a MUCH better solution (at 4x the cost). He sold it and has regretted it ever since. He'll be getting another one soon.

IMG_4742.JPG

The coolest part of a flippac is that you can stand up inside the bed of your truck. It turned the truck bed into a completely usable space.

THe one downside to his flippac: it destroyed the bed of his 2nd gen tacoma. Ever since toyota went to plastic inner beds, they've been less sturdy. He'll need to build a new metal support to handle his new flippac.

I think I just talked myself back into a pop top. It has all the pros of the flippac, and then some.

Steve I trust your judgment on that but with the strong materials that most tents are made of today I was not sweating that part. Does it sway and flap like that Mexican train I rode into the topics years ago while you are holding on for dear life all night long? We have seen 65mph winds most every time we have been up there during two-week periods so it is good to be prepared for that. Some of our tents have preformed way better than other tents we have used. Those above look like wind catchers even if they were not sticking up like that. But maybe they are just fine?

Put something on your roof and give up your mobility? In my opinion for the same price, more space and durability and the ability to carry more gear these are way superior

http://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Boz...it-Recreation-Freespirit-Recreation-114545544

Put something on your roof and give up your mobility? In my opinion for the same price, more space and durability and the ability to carry more gear these are way superior

http://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Bozeman-Ford-&-RV-2817972/listing/2015-Freespirit-Recreation-Freespirit-Recreation-114545544

No for me either but I'd not pull a 7000 dollar trailer either when I know much less expensive, super strong and wind resistant and much, much simpler answers to the question. I do know a couple who have a roof top sleeping system and it is interesting to see how folks camp.

RTTs are around $1300-4000, with most around the $1600 range. I dig the moby 1 trailers, but you still have to factor in the price of a RTT on top of the price of the trailer. at $18k, I can think of ways I'd rather spend my money.

moby1-trailers-xl.jpg

Personally, I don't consider RVing "camping", but these types of trailers could be perfect for some people. I'd love to tour the US with one of these in tow, but I wouldn't really call it "camping."

In my experience, simplicity rules. The simpler my camping setup, the easier it is for me to get out. A $20 goretex military bivvy is all the shelter I need most of the time. It takes about 10 seconds to deploy and set up, and I get to sleep under the stars.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't consider RVing "camping"...

In my experience, simplicity rules. The simpler my camping setup, the easier it is for me to get out. A $20 goretex military bivvy is all the shelter I need most of the time. It takes about 10 seconds to deploy and set up, and I get to sleep under the stars.

We camped in KOFA recently and saw several RVs doing their thing. I'd say it is far different than standard camping too, very luxurious. KOFA is not that far from Quartsite which is a major RV heaven in the winter months. I saw your entertaining video when you two bought your RV in Mesa and marveled over the So AZ winter weather. Very nice RV by the way! Anyway there are about a billion RVers who go to the Quartsite area in winter. A few go down to KOFA too, a very wild and cut off place of its own. The pull their little dune buggies or 4wd vehicles and go for morning rides before lunch and cocktails in the afternoons. They know how to live.

But I agree with your last statement about simplicity. It does have its place...