Rock Canyon Snowshoe

Jackson

I ❤️ GYE
26 January, 2017

I haven't been writing as many reports for the trips I've done recently, so this is an attempt to get going on those.

This was originally supposed to be a solo trip up to the top of Y Mountain. I chose Y Mountain because I figured the trailhead would be accessible and didn't require chains like the BCC and LCC roads did (I didn't want to risk getting checked, even though I doubt it happens that often). So I drove all the way down there, but my car couldn't make it up the icy road to the Y trailhead, so I ended up driving over to Rock Canyon. My friend responded to my offer for him to join me last minute, so I picked him up and drove back to the Canyon. We didn't really know how far in we were planning on going, but we just went for it. The weather was very spotty, as we'd have sunshine and some blue sky for a while, and then we'd get snowed on heavily. It made things fun! There were feet of snow piled up on everything, and tree branches frequently dropped full loads on our heads.

We got to a point where no one had broken trail, so we plowed through, and we eventually reached Rock Canyon Campground on the Squaw Peak Road. It didn't look like anyone had walked in there the entire season. We were impressed by the amount of snow on the roof of the restroom. Probably around 5'. Tried to dig out a picnic table to sit down at, but it was not doable without a shovel. We snacked really quick, and we headed out. Awesome walk.

You can't see them well, but there were some huge cornices on the ridges of the distance mountain. It looked really cool shrouded in those clouds with the sun and blue skies around it too.

Last edited:
Nice! Soon as these storms settle down and avy danger fades away, I'm hoping to snowshoe the loop with Slate and Slide canyon above my home in the next month with a side spur up to Y mtn summit. You're welcome to come along when I do it, but my days off in February will be Tuesday and Wednesday so it'll likely be one of those days and I don't know if you could fit that in your schedule.

You have made me feel guilty enough that when the weather clears I will snowshoe. Looks like April now.

Thanks for sharing.

You have made me feel guilty enough that when the weather clears I will snowshoe. Looks like April now.

Thanks for sharing.
Happy to have given a little inspiration! Be sure to share some pictures. I'm envious of your proximity to the Absarokas.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
fossana Yellow Rock, Pollock Arch, Hackberry Canyon loop (GSENM) Hiking & Camping 10
J Red Rock(s) Canyon Natl.Conservation Area Hikes and Scrambles Nov. 15 and 16, 2017 Hiking & Camping 0
J Sloan Canyon & Lake Mead summits and rock art Nov 26-28, 2016 Hiking & Camping 0
Blake Merrell Kayaking Lone Rock Canyon: Another beUTAHful adventure! On The Water 8
Udink Rock Canyon to Squaw Peak Hiking & Camping 3
Howells Outdoors Rock Canyon Canyoneering 6
WasatchWill BACKPACKING: Little Rock - Rock Canyon Backpacking 7
fiber Hanksville Shuttle Needed: April 18 from Burr Point to West Rock Canyon Trip Planning 0
steve Maze help needed: Route into Water Canyon from Chimney Rock? Trip Planning 9
IntrepidXJ Red Rock to Black Canyon Backpacking 3
kerkphil Sego Canyon Rock Art Everything Else 3
Scott Chandler Chimney Rock-Lower Spring Canyon, Cap Reef NP Hiking & Camping 6
kerkphil Escalante Canyon Rock Art Hiking & Camping 0
IntrepidXJ A Morning in Red Rock Canyon Everything Else 1
IntrepidXJ Searching for Rock Art in Mill Creek Canyon Hiking & Camping 1
Nick Hole-in-the-Rock and Bighorn Canyon, Escalante Hiking & Camping 14
TrailScot Hole-in-the-Rock Road - Escalante General Discussion 11
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - 5 Day Backpacking Adventure from Chimney Rock to Burro Wash - October 2023 Backpacking 10
Jackson Little Rock Creek Backpacking 5
2eez4life Suggestions: Uintas Backpacking with some rock climbing routes Trip Planning 0
kwc Another Southern Adirondacks hike - Clockmill Pond and Rock Lake Hiking & Camping 0
R Pony Express Trail, Black Rock to Simpson Springs Hiking & Camping 3
XID_AZ Willow Gulch from Hole in the Rock Trip Planning 4
F Who has been here? Ruin off Hole-in-the-Rock road General Discussion 4
napatony13 UNUSUAL ROCK ART STYLES Off Road 4
scatman Beartooth Wilderness - Flat Rock Lake Lollipop Loop - July 26, 2021 Backpacking 56
C Coyote Gulch via Chimney rock trail Trip Planning 0
napatony13 BISHOP BACKROADS ROCK ART Off Road 2
napatony13 SUCCESSFUL SLEUTHING-Nevada Rock Art Off Road 6
Henk Moab rock art vandalized General Discussion 1
J Bunch O' N. San Rafael Swell summit scrambles April 10-12, 2021 (now w/rock art) Hiking & Camping 3
J Dayhiking Moab's awesome geography, couple hikes to summits and rock art April 8-9, 2021 Hiking & Camping 0
scatman Castle Rock - April 3, 2021 Hiking & Camping 13
norwegianxplorer Preikestolen, Pulpit Rock, Hiking Norways most Iconic and spectacular Landmark & views, Lysefjord, Norway Hiking & Camping 1
Stephanie B Fishing (for Trout) and Hunting (for Rock Art) In and Near Capitol Reef National Park Hiking & Camping 7
T Status of Traffic - Hole in the rock road - Escalante - September? Trip Planning 2
fossana Wire Pass fire (impacting House Rock Rd/Buckskin Gulch) Trip Planning 3
Stephanie B Searchin' for Ruins and Rock Art in San Juan County, UT Hiking & Camping 6
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Pasayten Wilderness : Harts Pass, PCT, Windy Pass, Buffalo Pass, Foggy Pass, Jim Pass, Hulman Pass & Rock Pass Meadows Backpacking 3
NorthwestWanderer Waterfall Hikes & the death of my legendary Chevy Cobalt...in a rock slide. Hiking & Camping 8
Stephanie B Eagle Rock Shelter (Delta County, CO) Hiking & Camping 2
Rockskipper Hiker seriously injured by rock at Fisher Towers General Discussion 12
Stephanie B Sand Island and Sand Dune Rock Art Hiking & Camping 1
b.stark Crack In Rock - Fall 2016 Backpacking 6
L Red Castle Lakes / Wilson Peak OR Rock Creek Basin Trip Planning 4
LoneWolfOutdoors Eagle Rock Loop Trail in Arkansas Backpacking 6
BJett Shining Rock Wilderness Backpacking 10
Strawsome What is your favorite hike in the Escalante/Hole in the rock road area? General Discussion 6
Jimmy Hole in the Rock Car Camping Trip Planning 0
powderglut Toadstools and Hoodoos in the White Rock Valley Hiking & Camping 8