Road from Boulder airstrip, UT

wesleyS

Greetings friends,
Does anyone out there have any Beta on the road from the Boulder airstrip, and BMT Trailhead, that goes South from the airstrip to somewhere between Sand Creek and Calf Creek? Any info on conditions, possible closure, etc. would be appreciated.

This is usually called the McGath Bench Road. I've driven it to the end, but not recently. At that time it was mostly fine but there was a steep, sandy hill that probably would not have been passable without a real HC/4WD.

This is usually called the McGath Bench Road. I've driven it to the end, but not recently. At that time it was mostly fine but there was a steep, sandy hill that probably would not have been passable without a real HC/4WD.
Thanks very much for the Beta. Happy camping!

I've driven it. It's not too bad for about half of the drive but then it gets into some very narrow windy sections with deep, soft sand. You need a capable HC 4WD vehicle that's not super wide and you also need to be pretty aggressive behind the wheel to get through the sandy sections.

I've driven it. It's not too bad for about half of the drive but then it gets into some very narrow windy sections with deep, soft sand. You need a capable HC 4WD vehicle that's not super wide and you also need to be pretty aggressive behind the wheel to get through the sandy sections.

Thanks! Our trip plans have recently changed. We were going to have a second vehicle for a shuttle, but that is not possible now. So, we are going to hike from the pullout/TH down into Upper Calf Creek, then over onto the point of land where the McGath Bench Rd. ends. We are planning to camp up there a night before descending into Sand Creek. What do you know about camping along or at the end of the road?

So you're backpacking to the end of the McGath Bench Road? There are definitely good campsites out there, but no water.

Back