RMNP - food assistance

I am way to lazy and have been enjoying Mountain House on almost every trip. It is just much easier for me to carry my JetBoil and a spoon. Here in Colorado we can usually have a fire so I can just burn off the garbage. My buddies who make their own stuff spend more time then I have available creating their meals.

The only downside is a week of mountain house Chili Mac, Oatmeal, and beef jerky for breakfast leads to a much heavier and nastier waste bag.

I would remind you that Solid fuel and Alcohol stoves are banned in RMNP, not sure if this is a standard in NP's now or not. My Jetboil works great but I have had friends who had issues with their stove at altitude when it got cold. I think that might be tied to Propane though and the new mix should be fine.

Thanks all for he suggestions.
I think I am going to buy some freeze dried vegetables (carrots, mushrooms, etc) from harmony house, REI has a kit.
Then find a decently priced container of freeze dried chicken.

From there all I will need is powdered coconut milk, curry paste, and a few bases (rice, beans) and I should be all set.

Sound right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get the Harmony House "kit" which is what I did in the beginning, but I found that I was basically recreating the veg soup mix so I buy that instead. I also like their tomato powder and red/green peppers.

This setup intrigues me. Could you provide details of your homemade cozy?
Sorry, been offline a bit.
I made it simply with some duct tape and the reflective insulation you can buy at any hardware store. It is a pouch the right size to hold a gallon bag, and I put it into one of those cheap dry bags from walmart to use as an on the go keep-it-cold insulator. A single frozen 8oz bottle of water will often stay partially frozen for a few days. If you put what you need to keep cold with it, like good roast beef or provolone, then they stay plenty cold so that I can taste something fresh a couple or few days in.
It's just my quirk, I started it as a surprise. I would pull out something fresh a few days into a trip that was buried in the food bag or backpack, and share it. Once it was strawberries and a bit of heavy cream.

If I remember, when I get back home I will take a pic.

Thai Curry - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BEVRL28/?tag=backcountrypo-20 The box has 6 individual packets, I use 1/2 a packet for one meal and then use the remainder the next night
Coconut Milk powder - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QIVB19Y/?tag=backcountrypo-20
Harmony House veg soup - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039QXWPM/?tag=backcountrypo-20

For one meal, at home mix together in a zip lock freezer bag
~2oz of coconut milk powder
~2oz of veggies
you could break up and add the ramen at home, but I never bother

In camp, add 1/2 pack of curry paste to freezer bag and boil 1-1.5 cups of water and add to the freezer bag, let sit for about 5 mins and eat. Don't add the ramen seasoning since the curry has salt in it.

Along with the curry paste, I sometimes add oil packed tuna, chicken would work but that is usually packed in water so not a lot of calories for the weight. You can get freeze dried chicken if you like, but I've never tried it. You could also add some peanut butter instead of tuna if you wanted vegetarian or just don't like tuna.
For chicken try these chicken packets. They are single serving no drain and delicious!!! A bit pricey but so worth it for the flavor it adds to a meal.
d57c54e421ec9d42fe62af9d33b5d5f6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Two of my favorite meals I found on Andrew sakura site.
b6c25c55ab9cb9cd1ccc6fa34b4919e9.jpg

I add one packet of the single serving chicken to my modified version and it is perfect. The more water the more like soup it is. Just remember to add the corn chips as you eat not all at once.
His recipe in modified I swear serves an army!!! I can't eat that much at one time. But if Spencer goes with me I make it the way Andrew wrote it and add a normal size pack of chicken from suebee

1963eeb7ceae0f81b719fbe7572ac902.jpg

This potato one makes a delicious breakfast. Just make sure you have an old army can opener for the green chiles. I just add the entire can. Because what are you going to do with the left overs???

I found two more recipes I really like. They involve fresh fixings. I am generally only out over night maybe two so I have been looking for a few recipes that involve fresh stuff because I get sick of freeze dried. One is a thai pad dish that is amazing!!! I just tried both these dishes out this past week. The other is a curry dish with powdered coconut and yams. Mmmmmm

http://www.bikepacking.com/plan/bikepacking-recipe-pad-thai/

http://www.bikepacking.com/plan/bikepacking-recipe-thai-salmon-curry/

Both make enough for 2. When I made the Thai salmon curry I split it in two bowls and put salmon in one and chicken in the other. Spencer and I decided the chicken won hands down.

These are a pain in the ass if you want fast and easy because of cutting up fresh. But so yummy. They would be good first night meals. And in my humble opinion they both need fresh cilantro.

I forgot to add for the peanut butter I use fresh ground. If you have winco near you, they have the option of grinding your own peanuts. Which in my opinion (seem to be giving this a lot lately) is the only way peanutbutter should ever be eaten.

Last edited:
One more favorite is Green Belly meals.

https://www.greenbelly.co/

This is for when I don't want to cook. I have to find a variety of crap like these bars and switch them up because I get really sick of them. I can't eat cliff bars anymore. Kind bars are starting to disgust me same with lara bars. But if I switch them up and don't use them often I can eat them when I am lazy.