Right Fork-Zion NP

cmgz

I have hiked the day hike in Right Fork off the Kolob Terrace Road from the bottom up to Barrier Falls several times. It's a long way to the payoff, but once you're there it's an amazing place. It comes complete with poison ivy, beavers and biting deer flies in the summer but it also lacks the crowds of it's sister, the Subway. This time I was able to go the full route. Technical but no huge rappels. The route finding is the key point and the rugged terrain makes it a one or two night overnight. We did two. I will in no way profess to have been able to do this route finding myself but have been blessed with a son who seems to lack my gene for directional difficulty.
So we start out hiking from Lava Point down the Wildcat trail, dropping in on Little Blue Creek with two rappels. There were no rappels longer then 60 feet the entire trip and a fun variety.
P1100191.JPG
Down into Wildcat Canyon
P1100196.JPG

Heading our way down into Right Fork but coming right back out to avoid the upper section
P1100207.JPG

Our first campsite. A little spring by it's side.
P1100210.JPG

The next day heading through wild and often brushy terrain. I just loved the fact that some of the places I've looked down to from the West Rim trail were now where we were walking through.
P1100215.JPG

P1100221.JPG

P1100228.JPG

Look it's campsite 6 way above us.
P1100233.JPG

Then we come to a dryfall that looks like the end of the world.
P1100235.JPG

But an chute provides the way down. I thought it'd be easy but it gave me some jitters with my pack on.
P1100237.JPG

At the top of one of the rappels, two owls overhead, one carrying a ground squirrel.
P1100250.JPG

And at the bottom, a surprise. The picture is fuzzy because we were careful not to disturb him.
P1100259.JPG

Now the Black Pool, a cold deep corridor. I love water canyons!
P1100276.JPG

Another fun rappel.
P1100285.JPG

And then the Grand Alcove.
P1100297.JPG

P1100313.JPG

P1100326.JPG

After one last night of camping in this magical place, it was time to head down.
P1100348.JPG

P1100349.JPG

The last rappel, Barrier Falls.
P1100371.JPG

A tropical jungle!
P1100373.JPG

P1100374.JPG

Now to familiar territory and yes the poison ivy and the deer flies!
P1100379.JPG

P1100383.JPG

Very cool. Dumb question, how do you get your anchors down after rapping? I assume you aren't leaving ropes everywhere and using them to climb out (or are you)?

Very cool. Dumb question, how do you get your anchors down after rapping? I assume you aren't leaving ropes everywhere and using them to climb out (or are you)?
No we don't leave the ropes. We do leave the webbing in a bolted canyon, which this is. You pull the ropes after the rappel and continue downcanyon. Old webbing which is no longer usable is removed and packed out.

Ahh, thought you were building anchors as you went. Great pics, makes me want to check the place out.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
George_Washington_Hayduke Zero G & Right Fork Of Leprechaun Canyon Canyoneering 2
Yvonne Invite Right Fork North Creek this Sunday Meet Up (Members Only) 0
balzaccom The Beatles were right: Help! Trip Planning 0
forest dweller Retail dehydrated or freeze dried foods are gear right? :) Gear 20
RyanP InReach Mini on sale for $249 right now Gear 8
A ATkayaker in Oklahoma right now. Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
hatchcanyon Right Hand Tusher Canyon Off Road 0
M Doable, right? What do you think...Canyoneering the Roost Trip Planning 4
Krissi Cook What are the fall colors in southern Utah like right now? General Discussion 33
regehr (Uintas) Lake Fork Fun Backpacking 8
RockyMntCol Trip Planning Younts Peak / South Fork Yellowstone Trip Planning 12
J Pacific Creek or North Buffalo Fork? Teton Wilderness, Thorofare ,etc. Trip Planning 10
travel2walk Gros Ventre Wilderness: Granite Creek, West Fork Crystal Creek, Crystal Creek, & Swift Creek - June 2021 Backpacking 8
wsp_scott Big South Fork Bikepacking Backpacking 1
RyanP The Plug exit of Pictograph Fork (Maze) Trip Planning 15
BJett Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area Packraft/Backpack Loop (TN) Backpacking 6
wsp_scott Honey Creek (Big South Fork) Backpacking 9
regehr Wilson Fork, Millcreek, Wasatch Hiking & Camping 1
Perry Henry's Fork Basin - Camp Site Suggestions Trip Planning 3
A Wind Rivers: Clear Lake, Faler Lake and Roaring Fork General Discussion 7
scatman Grandeur and Church Fork Peaks Loop - May 29, 2021 Hiking & Camping 19
RyanP North Fork Bull Lake Creek Trip Planning 35
wsp_scott Big South Fork Views Backpacking 14
scatman Church Fork Peak - November 28, 2020 Hiking & Camping 2
scatman Broads Fork Twin Peaks - July 14, 2020 Hiking & Camping 20
U Favorite sites in Glacier in North Fork, Lake McDonald or Cole/Nyack? Looking at mid july Trip Planning 2
scatman Mount Raymond via Bowman Fork - June 27, 2020 Hiking & Camping 6
K Floating down South Fork of the Snake (ID) Trip Planning 1
Dhuff3243 North Fork Robbers Roost and Blarney canyon Trip Planning 0
P West fork of Salt Creek? Trip Planning 4
F Coyote Gulch via Dry Fork? Trip Planning 2
Ross Anyone want to do East Fork Fat Man's Misery-Barracks-Labyrinth Falls Oct 15 (tues) Trip Planning 0
J How is the dirt road to the East Fork of Blacks Fork TH? Trip Planning 1
DrNed Cell service in American Fork Canyon will be a reality by 2020 General Discussion 13
Perry Middle Fork Blacks Fork Ridge Way Trail - Does It Exist? Hiking & Camping 5
Ross Invite Boundary/Kolob/Narrows & East Fork Fat Man’s/Labyrinth Falls (Oct) Meet Up (Members Only) 4
fossana Grand Gulch Pt 1 - Slickhorn 3rd to Trail Fork loop Hiking & Camping 6
Windy Middle Fork Salmon 2018 On The Water 9
DrNed Red Castle Kings Peak Henry's Fork Take Two Backpacking 8
Born to Hike Windriver 36 mile loop: Skull Lake, Washakie Pass, South Fork Lakes, Lizard Head Trail, The Cirque, Big Sandy Lake Backpacking 6
McKee80 Glacier NP, part 2. North Fork, Sept 2018 Backpacking 11
regehr Mill B North Fork Hiking & Camping 6
scatman Broads Fork Twin Peaks, Robinson's Variation - September 29, 2018 Hiking & Camping 14
Miya Stuart Fork TH Again Backpacking 6
DrNed Upper Henry's Fork Lakes Trip Planning 1
blueeyes Few Questions for Diamond Fork area. Trip Planning 4
George_Washington_Hayduke White Roost Canyons (east and west forks) & North Fork of Robbers Roost Canyon Canyoneering 3
Tystevens Henry's Fork -- Red Castle loop from China Meadows Backpacking 2
Jackson Southern Absarokas - Cub Creek and South Buffalo Fork Backpacking 9
wsp_scott Packrafting the Big South Fork (KY) On The Water 7