Rescue & Emergency Knives

Nick

-
I've been looking around for the perfect knife to keep on my harness in the event of an emergency. What are the criteria for a perfect rescue knife?

Blunt tip or pointed?
Mini knife or regular?
Does it need to lock closed?

I noticed Tom sells a slightly modified Gerber EZ out knife that does not lock closed but he has a piece of cord that can kind of sit over the closed blade to keep it in. It seems kinda scary to think that there's nothing but that little piece of cord holding the blade in.

Or is there a multi-tool that could be mounted and weigh little enough to not be a problem, something like a Gerber Crucial perhaps.

Thoughts?

it doesn't "lock" per se, but it is very difficult to open unless you are trying to. so no, not an issue.

all I gotta add to this is do not get the Petzl Spatha .. terrible waste of money. I've seen a gerber knife like the spatha that's really nice. huge hole can fit onto any biner and just a way better design

How do you attach that to your harness, Keith?

We met a guy in Fat Man's Misery that had a cool trick. He drilled a couple holes in the back of his helmet and made it so he could use the clip on his knife and slide it into the holes. That way it's on the back of his head when he needs it. The knife did lock shut so it couldn't slip open and slice the back of his neck.

Well, I just bought it a few weeks ago, so I haven't carried it into a canyon, yet. But it has a lashing hole in the end of the grip, so I was planning on just running a fairly long cord through that and tying that to my harness. It also has a belt clip, so you could use that helmet trick.

Okay, so the idea of a non-locking knife on my harness kinda freaks me out. Even if it's not easy to get open. I think I've found one that has what I think I need; the Buck 750 Redpoint Safe Spin. Totally locks shut but opens with one hand, nice big solid loop to clip onto a carabiner, serrated blade for cutting webbing or rope and a nice bright blue rubberized handle so less likely to be dropped and more likely to be found. And it's cheap at $21! :)

should be noted - some people carry knifes on their harnesses. i prefer to carry it inside my pack on the gear loop on Imlay packs. the only time i'm using a knife is for webbing. i like to keep my harness fairly clean. i keep rapides and my knife inside my pack. tiblocs, couple biners, and my safety anchor on my harness. and slings to connect to my tiblocs are in my pack and accessible in case i have to lock off or ascend while on rappel.

that said, i think that knife you linked looks pretty good nick.

Well lucky me... I was given the Buck 750 Redpoint Safe Spin knife as a gift last night and I really think it's the perfect knife for what I was looking for. easily clipped onto something or I may try the helmet mount that I saw in Misery Canyon in September. Great knife.