Reliable Water sources in Horeshoe Canyon?

steve

I've hiked from blue john to horseshoe canyon before, and I remember one or two watering spots, but I don't know how reliable they are. Anyone have a lead on some reliable water sources in Horseshoe Canyon this time of year?

I understand you can't camp in the NP boundaries, but I'm thinking of camping outside the NP boundaries, between the bottom of the bluejohn big rap and horseshoe canyon. Last time I was there, there was a pool at the bottom of the big rap (where ralston drank and drank before collapsing).

I've thought about doing the same so I'm looking forward to hearing what others have to say. That would be a fun way to do the 'Ralstone Route'.

If I were more experienced setting up rappels, I'd rap down and camp down there below bluejohn.

Here's the water source I was thinking about (0:40).

Unfortunately it was dry when we went in April 2012 (10:36)

Judging by my research, there are zero reliable water sources this time of year. That means I'll just have to carry extra water, no big deal.

I wouldn't want to say "reliable", because I don't think they really are. But, there is a spring about a mile up canyon from where the Deadman trail enters (up canyon from all the big rock art panels).

And, based on how much water I have been seeing in the area in general this spring, I would not be surprised to see some pretty decent pools in Horseshoe next weekend.

Better safe than sorry, carry what you'll need for sure. But take a filter or pen and be prepared to not have to carry it all as far as worst case. I'm thinking you will see water down there next weekend. Especially if you are really looking for it.

- DAA

I went down BlueJohn through Horseshoe three weekends ago and I can say:

The puddle at the base of BJ's slot was small and gross.

There was a petit seep downstream from BJ that could be filtered so long as your filter uses a straw/small hose.

Between the NPS boundary and that seep was nothing in the streambed. One small stretch of moist sand.

Water existed between a 1/2 mile after reaching Horseshoe's bottom and maybe a mile past the Grand Gallery in the streambed. It was generally shallow.

I wished I had a way to sterilize water. The entire hike between the end of the water by the Gallery and the slot of BJ was soft sand. Three weekends ago it was much cooler and we were... happily miserable. We did not hate life but it could have been much better. I'm not sure how much the canyoneering before the trudge contributed but we were pretty tired when we got to the cars and were conserving water more than liked.

I hope this does not dissuade adventure but instead encourages bringing lots of water or stocking up before the stream dries up past the Gallery.

I will be hiking Horseshoe Canyon on the 26th of April. I will only be going as far as the gallery. I can let you know what I see. When are you planning on heading down? I have been down half a dozen times or so. Sometimes water sometimes not. The last time I was there there were pools of water every where. The coolest thing about it was they were all full of toad poles. Not the best water but water
nonetheless...

248.JPG 250.JPG

Sorry, I just read your invite. So I guess the answer to my question (When are you heading down?) Is this weekend. I wish I could have been some help.

I hope this does not dissuade adventure but instead encourages bringing lots of water or stocking up before the stream dries up past the Gallery.

Not at all, we're going no matter what. I don't mind carrying 6 litres of water to make my overnight trip possible.