Recommend me a sleeping bag

wsp_scott

I had an airline incident and a bunch of gear got trashed (see photo). The most pressing is a sleeping bag so I can still get out this winter.

So, any recommendations for a 20 - 30 degree down bag that is ideally not too heavy and not too expensive (I know these requests don't really go together)?
I also need a replacement for Patagonia Cap 4 base layers/long underwear for my winter sleep outfit. Any suggestions?

2021-09-21 19.17.10.jpg

Enough friction to ruin my bear can, but I have a small one and won't need another large until next summer.
2021-09-22 10.40.12.jpg

That has to be a be a huge bummer! I'd think they owe you a replacement, but with all the waivers in place, can only wish you luck with that!

I have a 20 yr old Western Mountaineering Versalite, rated 15F, ~2lb 4oz. I swear by it, even though it's probably closer to a 20F bag at this point and lighter materials are available now. If I had to do it all over, I'd still go WM. Paid $375 20 yrs for a bag now selling at ~$600. But it lasts forever (unless a bear or luggage handler gets ahold of it). I don't regret paying up for quality in a critical piece of gear. You might check into the Ultralight (20) or Caribou (35) especially if you are using warmer sleeping outfits.

@wsp_scott what a mess!
Sucks,

I vouch for WM bags, had an old one in college that was excellent. It was pre-owned and I made it holey.

Funny enough I also have a MHW Phanton 15, got it on clearance for about half off a few years ago because it was a Long and LH zipper. I am over 6', so long works great for me. I have had plenty of nights below the teens in it, and in the 30s I sleep with a leg hanging out or partially zipped.
For summer I have a different bag when a 40d bag will work.

What about quilts? I have borrowed a Jacks R Better, EE Revelation quilt and a Zpacks quilt from friends when I was contemplating a different not-winter bag. I did not find the right combo for sleeping on my side and moving around without getting a draft, but otherwise all 3 seemed pretty good bang for the buck.
On REI outlet they have a Big Agnes North Fork 20d it is a little heavier, but not bad price.

+1 on the WM bags for warmth to weight ratio + longevity. I just bought a Summerlite to complement my Versalite, which I've had for ~8 years.

@wsp_scott what a mess!
Sucks,

I vouch for WM bags, had an old one in college that was excellent. It was pre-owned and I made it holey.

Funny enough I also have a MHW Phanton 15, got it on clearance for about half off a few years ago because it was a Long and LH zipper. I am over 6', so long works great for me. I have had plenty of nights below the teens in it, and in the 30s I sleep with a leg hanging out or partially zipped.
For summer I have a different bag when a 40d bag will work.

What about quilts? I have borrowed a Jacks R Better, EE Revelation quilt and a Zpacks quilt from friends when I was contemplating a different not-winter bag. I did not find the right combo for sleeping on my side and moving around without getting a draft, but otherwise all 3 seemed pretty good bang for the buck.
On REI outlet they have a Big Agnes North Fork 20d it is a little heavier, but not bad price.

It was actually a 30 degree quilt that got destroyed. I had already decided after drafts in the High Sierra and then Yellowstone this summer that I wanted a bag for temps around freezing. I was planning on keeping the quilt for hammock camping and temps in the upper 30s/40s. Now I'm getting a nice cold weather bag and will plan on venting if needed at warmer temps.

I hope you'll be getting some $ from the airline to cover the damages.

I have an EE quilt in the long/wide configuration. I toss and turn a lot and it gives me the room I need to thrash around mostly unimpeded. You do need to adjust for the occasional draft, but I wake up often anyways so that doesn't bother me much.

My Big Agnes Spike Lake was a decent compromise between price and weight. It's not the lightest 15 pound bag, but it's held up well, packs down nicely, and cost me less than $200 when I bought it.

I have a western Mountainering alpinlite 20 degree. And it is accurate, I cook at 30 to 40 degrees and use it as a quilt then. Comes in at 2 lbs. Pricey but will last. Before that was a MHW ULtralamina and a Kelty Cosmic. Both fair bags....

15 pound bag?!? Wow...................................
Hahaha shows what happens when I'm multitasking while trying to comment! Yeah my bag is actually insulated with rocks.

If it wasn't obvious, I meant 15 degree bag. I think it weighs a little under 2 pounds but can't remember. I'm gonna leave that typo up though because it's funny.

Edit: just kidding, it's slightly over 2 pounds.

Last edited:
another +1 for the western mountaineering bags. but cheap they are not.

i used to get by just fine with a marmot 20 degree down bag. they go on sale often. they wont last nearly as long as WM but they are a lot cheaper. mine eventually lost warmth after about 7 years i think before i upgraded, but it did the job.

I've got a Klymit ksb 20 degree bag that I think is a pretty decent budget option for weight and warmth. I think the temperature rating is pretty accurate. I don't think I've ever slept cold in it but I also don't go out and camp in the mountains in the winter. I've spent a lot of nights out in the desert in winter and have never slept cold in it. The downside is that is really isn't that light. I think it's right about 3 pounds. I used to use this backpacking but have since switched to a UGQ bandit quilt which I really like. They also make an ultra wide version of their quilt. Mine is a 55 inch but they go up to a 65 inch wide on the Bandit XL. I have liked the Klymit bag and really the only reason I got the quilt was for the weight and space savings.

I love my Feathered Friends bag, beautifully made.
WM comes in a close second.
haha I was waiting for some FF love here, i've been super happy in one of their 20 degree bags for quite a few years now, though at this point a 20 degree night in it would not be comfortable. thinking about getting a 15 next time, and then sort of calling the old 20 a 30 or 35

I settled on a 20 Degree Enlightened Equipment Convert in Wide/Long https://enlightenedequipment.com/convert-stock/
It has a full length zipper for the colder trips, but works as a quilt for warmer trips or when I have my hammock. I looked at all your recommendations (which I really appreciate) and this seemed to be the best for what was in stock/ship now.

Fully open like a blanket, I put my camera on it for scale and to show the loft. This thing is big.
2021-09-27 15.00.37.jpg

Like a quilt
2021-09-27 15.02.34.jpg

All zipped up like a bag
2021-09-27 15.03.05.jpg

I'll try to remember to update once I've used it in cold temps. Thanks again for everyone's advice.