Album Raven

I'd like to say I've had ravens join me in watching the sunset before. Their actual purpose? Who knows. But they sure do look like they're watching the view.

NeckSpr-MurphyPt-41.jpg

I assume you have read this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0061136050/?tag=backcountrypo-20
If not, I recommend it highly.
Thanks Ruins!
Berndt is one of my heroes and one of the world's premier raven researchers - especially with regards to behaviour. He is a zoology professor emeritus and a very precise researcher. He assumes nothing rigorously tests theories or other's conclusions with rigorous scientific methods. Hypothesis, experimentation and testing and extensive observation.

If you liked that book I really highly recommend Ravens in Winter as well. And his life story, The Snoring BIrd is also extraordinary and I highly recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/006074216X/?tag=backcountrypo-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0679732365/?tag=backcountrypo-20

- He was recruited by Doug Smith, the scientist responsible for reintroducing the wolf to Yellowstone to co-investigate the commonly held belief that ravens guide wolves to carrion and prey.
- He at one time held the long distance running record for 24 hours - 156 miles around a track, at his college. This was in 1983 before the sport of ultra-running was even conceptualized.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernd_Heinrich

A fascinating man and animal behaviourist specializing in ravens.

Last edited:
This was in February 2013 near Head of Sinbad in the San Rafael Swell. There were dozens of 'em filling the sky, and it was pretty wondrous watching them.

IMG_3064.JPG

I totally saw something like this just the other day outside of Grand Junction!!! Creepy.

No photo, just a short story.

Back in the early 90's I worked at a bare root tree nursery. We planted about a 100 foot bed of walnuts and during lunch watched the crows dig them up and fly off with them, making a sizeable dent in our efforts.

Later that week we went and purchased some white fabric to cover the crop and suspended it with a wire frame down the length. The crows chewed us out from the trees the entire time, watching our every move.

A few days later, during lunch, we watched as the crows flew into the adjoining woods, bringing back rocks. They then proceeded to drop them on one concentrated section of fabric, sagging it down to the ground. Once grounded they pecked their way through and enjoyed a 100 foot buffet.

We ended up just pulling the fabric up, planting 2 or 3 times the number of walnuts we would normally and hoping for the best.

Crows: 1 - Humans: 0

In case anyone had forgotten about or not read it, I'll just leave this one here. The ravens didn't need to use much of their intellect to outwit us. We practically handed them our food.

In case anyone had forgotten about or not read it, I'll just leave this one here. The ravens didn't need to use much of their intellect to outwit us. We practically handed them our food.
Great story. Don't you love the moment of realization that it's YOUR stuff that's been pilfered?

No photo, just a short story.

Back in the early 90's I worked at a bare root tree nursery. We planted about a 100 foot bed of walnuts and during lunch watched the crows dig them up and fly off with them, making a sizeable dent in our efforts.

Later that week we went and purchased some white fabric to cover the crop and suspended it with a wire frame down the length. The crows chewed us out from the trees the entire time, watching our every move.

A few days later, during lunch, we watched as the crows flew into the adjoining woods, bringing back rocks. They then proceeded to drop them on one concentrated section of fabric, sagging it down to the ground. Once grounded they pecked their way through and enjoyed a 100 foot buffet.

We ended up just pulling the fabric up, planting 2 or 3 times the number of walnuts we would normally and hoping for the best.

Crows: 1 - Humans: 0
Did you yield any walnuts? ;)

Jackson's story reminds me of hiking a loop from camp at Devil's Kitchen up Elephant Canyon to Druid Arch, and around through Chessler and the Joint trail and back via Devils Lane, upon approaching camp I remember seeing our site looking a little bit trashy. After a thorough clean up, that was the last time my brother left an accessible garbage bag in the bed of his pick up unattended.

Hole In The Rock trail lookout
y4mv2l1r3l3Rv7JxKb_Tp0yXANWYf8t5TkLc-4j5AafE7wCjZ7MwVSRG8c44DBFnaZFAA2Pb3keofDJgAS7Coz_tKS8TTu9pznjjuiTmP_NoD1Lugd_bQK_CHNg6BMv23gbow6VgTIUZ8VOKjRaWCC1Ev17rkebhuKJEuJy6T1PFe9bzqoEFSsqAKEdr_t94iWhxkbqUO0BbAN-0zFqndihUA

These two had a lively conversation at one of the Natural Bridges overlooks.
y4mS-SkOpI_NXfeSn6QnwYmOU1M1xjtl8wi3fEv0oeXTm69xiqUIdX9lQLIJaX6vZRcaDtlpv2djScjxEZRqtroEpExREafys3gJfx4-7ZQLpfWyvFKMcfD1f5XCT4uMm9--l8EwrjDgRfusdIQI9DPkV_KEQy9AcQdJ3R7tjDukzZSeV_iQyNAYho-fe-uIHp_LLEZ2zzCDiS8dor1ff1shQ

An aerobatics team near Dead Horse Point
y4mL3u8zZBpynPRCfEFzm2bqPszPrslLqVDScJLvV-VWz38SQ76558E14CV0TOR2q25QghX_oo8GBJ20xOTxMm0UpYSX9Wc3SCFE9dGYtUNCxoXJ1Bnf5ANumrBwQmYDe73SyVO0QqGF5XmZmZoPOMxMAL64cVsNFXp-zw0HjedkyazybkbrjRIx_wB4vLwm9zJKmSky-Uy4JV6yk3OHnxm1A

Hang out at Phantom Ranch
y4mUFQp71kn76Z7nVNEg8oxqnD-qYStgXMJ41CUze6G1aelb3VIEn4yl0TMa6mmXEnsrT8liAQQriI0xlkqRQza6XKeSj6ktvvmTdkOr7n49jY_eFlyBSikL-FrU43IxAq7DwSDWQa4DhaIwYLUNIFTPRMFeIgroa0ur43_u1NVUR4TIzfjdAufIIieBtEqW9yP51wfdZIQjTeu9MyO26jgTw

Bright Angel trail over watch
y4mUQnHkhpQCiRO0-NGekWxD_-S7QEzt7-oy4Lz6sCRPvz40BODIhJNGYh9RwniJLhyaFqw6zpu3eCw_KYgsvFG91J-I2Lyee6xaAVG5Hbz8c7_gi3jgICPzbae2Pm-c8Q_UVi9wgdzlPHnNSPKYSGNsfwScMRC6z0iS7naFJ6EziD5KUm-KLLWEFk5XMh0xNeeZKwrIdN7_S5XHv3dYjCAJA