Rainbow Rim Trail, Kaibab NF?

powderglut

In search of Fresh
This place looks very cool to visit. Essentially the north rim with none of the NP rules. It appears to be pretty close to HRV rd, the place we will be visiting for about 5-7 days. Access is just south of Jacob lake where the North Rim access is usually closed until May 15. Are these forest service roads available to use prior to the official opening of the North Rim? Snow permitting?? 5 different points to camp on look amazing. Might just do a night and a day to see what is here. Anybody visited this area? Any opinions? http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/maps/RainbowRim-PrintMap.jpg
This place looks like it was created for riding a mt bike although we weren't planning on mt bikes this trip. It's now on my radar, to maybe do this on another trip with bikes, along with Gooseberry Mesa and the southwest corner of Utah. Dang!!! So many places to visit. Might have to add Parunweap and Canaan mt for the next trip too.

Road is closed a Jacobs Lake. You can access up to Big Springs (Ryan Road) from BLM road 95 way back towards Kanab. Access to Snake Gulch, Sowatts Point area. Or you have to stay lower, more out west. It gets higher elevation and you hit snow on the roads... no locked gates that I can remember. Don't know if you can access back to the Park from there. They do get snow and it lingers into late May...

Thanks Bob. My Arizona Strip map says the route out of Fredonia is Forest Service rd 22 to Big Springs. Must be BLM rd 95. I may wait on this trip for warmer times. We leave Steamboat in the spring, to get away from snowy environment. I thought this might be fairly easy to get to from HRV rd and the over to Jacobs lake. Closed road at AZ67 has me thinking too much extra driving. I think we'll head to Spencer Flats (Escalante) which is original plan and save Rainbow Rim for another day.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
blueeyes Rainbow Rim June 2012 Hiking & Camping 5
gnwatts Rainbow Photography 0
wabenho Rainbow Lake, Uintas - September 2018 Backpacking 6
tomcat32 Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness: Little Rainbow Mountain Hiking & Camping 3
kimbur96 Tarptent Double Rainbow or Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2? Gear 2
D Current Water-Rainbow Bridge North Trail Trip Planning 0
D Rainbow Bridge North Trail Backpacking 4
Keith Lamar River, Mist Creek, Pelican Valley, Hot Springs Basin, Rainbow Springs and Joseph Coat Springs Backpacking 15
Eugene Rainbow Bridge North Trail (this time the full trail) Backpacking 1
Eugene North Rainbow Bridge Trail Backpacking 7
Eugene Rainbow Bridge - North Trail Trip Planning 6
Jammer Rainbow Ridge Redux Hiking & Camping 11
E Kayaking and Hiking in the Rainbow Area, Lake Powell. 4/7-4/13/13. On The Water 2
Jammer Rainbow Ridge Backpacking 7
BeardoMcGrath Fiftymile Mountain rim and ruins tour: 13 May 2023 Hiking & Camping 12
TrailScot Dayhiking the Under-the-Rim Trail - Bryce Canyon NP - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
Ugly Thanksgiving Rim Walkin 2022 Backpacking 8
Ellen Zion West Rim Trail, December 2022 Trip Planning 3
chandlerwest Bryce Canyon - Under The Rim Trail Hiking & Camping 0
Yvonne Sky Rim Trail, Yellowstone, August 6, 2020 Hiking & Camping 15
D White Rim Road Off Road 2
Parma White Rim Road FKT General Discussion 4
IntrepidXJ Diane’s Birthday Ride on the White Rim Trail Everything Else 3
Bob Grand Canyon North Rim wildfire Trip Planning 4
priz1234 Virgin River Rim Trail 6/6-6/7 Backpacking 4
Kullaberg63 Pack Creek to Castle Valley - below the rim. Backpacking 0
Yvonne Hiking the Hurricane Canal and Hurricane Rim Loop, February 15 Hiking & Camping 4
Yvonne Snow Hike up the West Rim, December 15, 2019 Hiking & Camping 7
fossana 24 Aug rockfall and E Rim trail closure in Zion (again) General Discussion 3
chandlerwest Zion - West Rim Loop...........in July???? Hiking & Camping 7
fossana Snow Canyon rim loop Hiking & Camping 1
M Zion West Rim Trail, Early April 2019 Trip Planning 40
fossana solo white rim day trip on the dual sport Off Road 11
MVS White Rim Side Roads Trip Planning 4
RyanP White Rim Road vehicle/difficulty questions Trip Planning 8
J Dayhikes GSENM, Cap Reef, Behind the Rocks: Deer Cr, Tanks, Sheets Gulch, Moab Rim Apr. 4 to 8, 2018 Hiking & Camping 0
SKLund Anyone Done Under the Rim? Trip Planning 12
MVS White Rim General Discussion 10
Nanda White rim in March Trip Planning 3
Outdoors24 Zion West Rim Trail in winter Trip Planning 6
chandlerwest Zion Nat'l Park - Rim of the East Canyons Hiking & Camping 5
scatman Red Butte Canyon Rim-Walk - May 20, 2017 Hiking & Camping 10
K TR: Under the Rim First segment - Bryce Canyon Backpacking 3
DrNed White Rim On A White Bike Everything Else 9
dug White Rim Trail - self supported. April 2016 Everything Else 1
DrNed White Rim Trail - Fort Ruin Question Trip Planning 4
steve Biking the White Rim Trail Everything Else 7
Ross Canaan Mountain & Little Colorado rim exploration Backpacking 16