Ptarmigan Traverse- Day 5- July 26th 2013

ram

Day 1 | Day 2 | Day 3 | Day 4 | Day 5

Ziff and I had planned for 6 days on the traverse, as with a washed out road, on the way out. We awoke 25 miles from the spotted car. It was hard to prepare to leave the world of the alpine, but I had a flight home the following day. In fact doing it in 2 days meant hiking out the day of the flight. I always like a little more spice in things.

This was no ordinary, trailed hike either. Much of it was trailless, first through blown down trees. Later meadows, several miles long that were near impregnably thick and so pungent as to be hard to breath. Add in a log straddle over a rushing stream, more blown down trees on unmaintained trails, bugs buzzing about, a hot sun...you get it. Glad we had rounded into shape mentally as well as physically.. Mix and match and add an 8.4 mile road walk at the end.

We were to camp before the road walk, but it was only 5 PM, the bugs were out and I felt that if I stopped, I might never be able to start again. And if...maybe....could we....get out early enough, we could rush to a restaurant and have dinner and a.....beer!
In the final few hours, every step was an agony, so much so as to be laughable. Its key to have someone to be able to complain back and forth with. But we made it, had that meal and that.....beer. I had two. I wasn't driving. The traverse took 100 hours and 50 minutes. Hope you have enjoyed the story and pictures.

heather at the campsite
P7261023.JPG

packing up in the morning
P7261024.JPG

With Glacier Peak keeping us company
P7261025.JPG

Ziff feeling the love
P7261026.JPG

Streams and moss alps
P7261030.JPG

reflections in Cub Lake
P7261032.JPG

Cub lake
P7261033.JPG

600 foot vertical uphill over a pass
P7261034.JPG

What, me worry?
P7261035.JPG

Into the meadows
P7261036.JPG

What is this?
P7261037.JPG

Log over the stream
P7261038.JPG

All....Fall....Down.
P7261039.JPG

Who's idea was this?
P7261042.JPG

The Mud, the Blood...headed for the beer
P7261040.JPG

A dream of green
P7261044.JPG

wearing down
P7261041.JPG

forest glow..headin home
P7261045.JPG

Day 1 | Day 2 | Day 3 | Day 4 | Day 5

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Wow! 25 miles in one day through that junk?! I think I would have passed out before the beer got to the table! Thanks for sharing these with us, it's been fun to follow along. Beautiful country up there!

Wow! 25 miles in one day through that junk?! I think I would have passed out before the beer got to the table! Thanks for sharing these with us, it's been fun to follow along. Beautiful country up there!

Once at the car, furiously stripping out of that gross clothing! Ugh! Kept the legs straight in the car (45 minute drive), drinking sparkling waters and one Monster, scared of cramps. Occupied three chairs in the restaurant. One for each straight leg, out at 45 degree angle. Took forever to walk to the bathroom. Ziff said I was listing to starboard, like Fred Beckey did in his late 70's. (he partnered with him once). had chicken teryaki drenched in salty sauce. Oh oh oh how tender the bottom of my feet were. It was a great 3+ week trip

Glad you enjoyed the series of TR's. It was fun to recall them

Hard! Impressive. Love the imagery (as usual, don't know how you do that).

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
ram Ptarmigan Traverse- Day 4- July 25th 2013 Backpacking 1
ram Ptarmigan Traverse- Day 3- July 24th 2013 Backpacking 1
ram Ptarmigan Traverse- Day 2- July 23nd 2013 Backpacking 1
ram Ptarmigan Traverse- Day 1- July 22nd 2013 Backpacking 4
NorthwestWanderer Uncle visits Washington (Ptarmigan Ridge, Slate Peak & Wing Lake) Backpacking 4
piper01 Glacier National Park, Part 4: Ptarmigan Tunnel and Iceberg Lake (Sept 2017) Hiking & Camping 3
NorthwestWanderer Ptarmigan Ridge, Mt. Baker Wilderness WA Backpacking 8
Joey Glacier National Park: Piegan Pass, Many Glacier, Ptarmigan Tunnel, Belly River, Fifty Mountain Loop Backpacking 15
Kullaberg63 Gore high traverse Backpacking 11
radioradio Sad Cowboy Traverse - A Week in Escalante Backpacking 12
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. A Black Mtns and Canyons Traverse Nov 30, 2021 Hiking & Camping 2
TheMountainRabbit Northern Wind River Traverse (Bridger/Fitzpatrick Wilderness) - September 2021 Backpacking 16
Hiker Seth Single day Presidential traverse Hiking & Camping 5
G Zion (half) traverse in April '21? Trip Planning 31
Dustynails0 Beartooth lake to East rosebud traverse Trip Planning 6
stretch Most Scenic Route to Traverse the Gros Ventre? Trip Planning 17
B Dark Canyon - Young's to Lean-to Traverse Trip Planning 3
NorthwestWanderer The Bailey Range Traverse | An 8 Day Olympic National Park Epic Backpacking 15
danger02ward 2020 Spring Beatout traverse Winter Sports 18
J North Cascades National Park Black and Corteo Peaks Traverse Aug 21-23, 2007 Retro Backpacking 3
fossana Bat Mountain traverse (Funeral Mountains) Hiking & Camping 5
WasatchWill Beehive Traverse - Through the Heart of Capitol Reef's Waterpocket Fold Backpacking 39
3 Grand Canyon Traverse - Map? Trip Planning 0
Ugly Snowy Dawn Traverse on Deer Ridge Hiking & Camping 6
McKee80 Glacier NP Multi Segment Quasi Northern Traverse Backpacking 19
J Zion Traverse in early December Trip Planning 19
ram The Inspiration Traverse - Part 4 Backpacking 4
ram The Inspiration Traverse - Part 3 Backpacking 6
ram The Inspiration Traverse - Part 2 Backpacking 2
ram The Inspiration Traverse Backpacking 19
andyjaggy Sawtooths Traverse and Stashing a Bike General Discussion 5
Stickerbumper Zion Traverse Memorial Day Weekend - Shuttle Meet Up (Members Only) 0
SKLund Bee Hive Traverse Trip Planning 25
J Canyonlands Needles Dist.: Crosscanyon Backpack Traverse April 10-15, 2016 Backpacking 1
steve Backpacking the Zion Traverse Backpacking 12
hatchcanyon The Great Traverse Off Road 9
LarryBoy Beartooths - East/West Traverse (any/all advice welcome!) Trip Planning 15
steve Wind Rivers Traverse - Backpacking 90 miles in the Wind Rivers Backpacking 102
LarryBoy Wasatch North-South Traverse General Discussion 5
Vegan.Hiker Great Range Traverse Part 1 Backpacking 19
L July Zion Traverse and Narrows Backpacking Itinerary Trip Planning 18
IntrepidXJ Colorado National Monument Traverse II Backpacking 3
scatman Wildcat Ridge Traverse - May 25, 2014 Hiking & Camping 6
markj Zion Traverse- April 23-26. Backpacking 8
IntrepidXJ Colorado National Monument Traverse Hiking & Camping 6
Bob Sawtooth Mountains Traverse Resource Discussions 7
Bob Wind River Mountains - South to North High Traverse Resource Discussions 0
as Wind Rivers Traverse Backpacking 11
Bob Wind River Range Traverse Backpacking 14
lostlandscapes Zion Traverse: April 26-28, 2013 Backpacking 7