Ptarmigan Ridge, Mt. Baker Wilderness WA

Hello again everyone,

Trip took place 8/10 - 8/11. I just got off a week of on-call duty and was very pent up since I needed to stay within a 1 hour response distance of my place of work I needed to get out badly. The wife worked Friday and Saturday, which I had off, and low and behold a window of opportunity arose near Mt. Baker. Marine winds pushed in and cleared some of the insane wildfire smoke plaguing the PNW for a few weeks. This is possibly my last chance for (healthy) mountain hikes this summer due to the smoke. So I took it.

I started at Heather Meadows and used Ptarmigan Ridge to get to a fun and popular camp spot (camp kaiser) up near the Portals on Mount Baker. Being a friday the trail was packed. I passed close to 50-60 hikers of various ages. I was booking it pretty fast to get a good camp spot up at Kaiser and luckily everyone had the decency to step aside and let me pass through. I made it the 4.1 miles and easy ~800 foot elevation gain within 2 hours (this includes filming time).

Despite the huge day hiking crowds I only saw 2-3 other backpackers. None of them went to camp kaiser. So I had the whole side of Baker to myself, great sunset and some good and excellent star gazing. The whole day was great temperature and no bugs, ZERO bugs. The next morning I smelt smoke and the stuck my head out of the tent only to be greeted by the post-apocalyptic haze. It was back, prematurely (NOAA predicted the smoke to be gone for 2 days, it was only gone for 24 hours). Begrudgingly I had to hike out in the smoke, prolly the equivalent of 30 cigarettes within the 2 hour stroll.

There was an absolute massive amount of backpackers coming in that Saturday morning, into a thick smoke you could only see 500 feet at best. Not worth it. People need to be more comfortable cancelling their plans. I guess if you're in the lung cancer treatment field, start moving to Washington because the cases are going to sky rocket in 20 years.

Enjoyable trip! Despite saturday morning.

zVhEw6H.jpg
xFvKJP3.jpg
lNLs0NR.jpg
YOAobdN.jpg
mi89Iqn.jpg
wWOkiy3.jpg
URCKI4f.jpg
pk8xFxk.jpg
vnzqpl5.jpg
M926cSC.jpg
Jpf3B4U.jpg
4IYwQGR.jpg

This place looks unbelievable. I really want to make it out to the PNW and this makes it all the more urgent. Thanks so much for posting!

I'm in love!!! Great pictures and looks like a great trip.
Perfect timing on your trip to get the window without smoke.

Thank you! Yeah I got pretty lucky

This place looks unbelievable. I really want to make it out to the PNW and this makes it all the more urgent. Thanks so much for posting!

Thanks V.H! Perfect time to go would be late July IMO

Whoa...!!! Love your 4 min video & what a gorgeous location, incredible. All these awesome places I have never heard off, thanks so much for sharing.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
NorthwestWanderer Uncle visits Washington (Ptarmigan Ridge, Slate Peak & Wing Lake) Backpacking 4
piper01 Glacier National Park, Part 4: Ptarmigan Tunnel and Iceberg Lake (Sept 2017) Hiking & Camping 3
Joey Glacier National Park: Piegan Pass, Many Glacier, Ptarmigan Tunnel, Belly River, Fifty Mountain Loop Backpacking 15
ram Ptarmigan Traverse- Day 5- July 26th 2013 Backpacking 3
ram Ptarmigan Traverse- Day 4- July 25th 2013 Backpacking 1
ram Ptarmigan Traverse- Day 3- July 24th 2013 Backpacking 1
ram Ptarmigan Traverse- Day 2- July 23nd 2013 Backpacking 1
ram Ptarmigan Traverse- Day 1- July 22nd 2013 Backpacking 4
seaview53 Chinese Wall - ridge walk thoughts and suggestions Trip Planning 2
scatman Parley's Ridge - May 20, 2023 Hiking & Camping 21
scatman Black Mountain Ridge - May 13, 2023 Hiking & Camping 49
scatman Van Cott Ridge - April 29, 2023 Hiking & Camping 7
scatman North Ridge of City Creek Canyon - February 4, 2023 Hiking & Camping 17
scatman South Ridge of City Creek Canyon - January 28, 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
SteveR Amazing Akamina Ridge Hiking & Camping 4
scatman West Millcreek Ridge - July 10, 2022 Hiking & Camping 22
scatman East Millcreek Ridge - July 2, 2022 Hiking & Camping 21
scatman Millcreek Ridge Planning Trip Planning 22
Yvonne Climbing Mount Saint Helens via Monitor Ridge Route, July 2021 Hiking & Camping 16
scatman Foothill Follies Part 2 - Black Mountain Ridge and City Creek Canyon Loop - November 11, 2021 Hiking & Camping 6
TheMountainRabbit Horse Ridge to Mount Febbas (Fitzpatrick Wilderness) - July 2021 Backpacking 24
travel2walk Lamar River, Pelican Valley, & Speciman Ridge loop - Yellowstone, Jun 29 to Jul 3, 2021 Backpacking 15
Gwen T Fortymile Ridge Road Trip Planning 5
Perry Dahlgreen Ridge - A Navigationally Challenged Day Hiking & Camping 8
scatman Neff's Ridge Loop - June 13, 2020 Hiking & Camping 10
scatman Parley's Ridge or Subaru to Jeep - April 25, 2020 Hiking & Camping 20
Perry Day Hike Exploring the Wasatch Ridge Line Hiking & Camping 5
Hiker Seth Franconia Ridge today Hiking & Camping 7
Perry Middle Fork Blacks Fork Ridge Way Trail - Does It Exist? Hiking & Camping 5
SteveR Pocaterra Ridge, Alberta Hiking & Camping 7
NorthwestWanderer Poet Ridge - Glacier Peak Wilderness Hiking & Camping 3
scatman Van Cott Ridge - April 20, 2019 Hiking & Camping 5
balzaccom Comb Ridge and Wash Trip Planning 8
Ugly Snowy Dawn Traverse on Deer Ridge Hiking & Camping 6
NorthwestWanderer Delancy Ridge via Driveway Butte, Okanogan NF, WA (5/20) Hiking & Camping 3
AbinadiWitness Part 1: Telluride Via Ferrata and Mount Sneffels SW Ridge from Blue Lakes- Colorado Trip # 1 - 2017 Backpacking 0
JDWalters Pioneer Ridge Trail, Hiking & Camping 6
Wanderlust073 Black Ridge Canyons Wilderness / Rattlesnake Canyon maps Trip Planning 6
Adventure monkey Steve Allen's exit out of Happy Canyon to the Big Ridge. Trip Planning 17
M VIDEO - Mt. Lindsey (14,042 ft) Northwest Ridge Hiking & Camping 0
piper01 Wolfman Panel, Comb Ridge/Valley of the Gods Hiking & Camping 3
Udink Nine Mile Canyon XIV: Warrior Ridge Hiking & Camping 4
WasatchWill A Recon Trip Around Comb Ridge Hiking & Camping 6
TannerT Adam's Canyon North Ridge 1/23 Hiking & Camping 10
Artemus Multimodal Transport on Wham Ridge Backpacking 41
Vegan.Hiker A Farewell to Fall along the Shawangunk Ridge Hiking & Camping 6
kansas ruins at Comb Ridge Trip Planning 3
kansas roads along Comb Ridge Trip Planning 6
Udink Price Canyon Recreation Area to Ford Ridge Hiking & Camping 4
scatman Millcreek Ridge - July 3, 2015 Hiking & Camping 25