Provo to Denver via Amtrak (2011)

kerkphil

aka Skeptocles
Back in 2005, when I first went to Seoul to teach, I met Eddy Berry, a professor at Utah State University. She told me about taking Amtrak from Salt Lake City to Denver and I decided if I ever got the chance I was going to take the trip too.

Since the annual American Economics Association Meeting were in Denver in January 2011, I decided that Yeongmi and I would get there by train. The trip was a lot longer than driving, but the scenery was fantastic.

View from the Train Trip to Denver​
We left Provo very early in the morning on Thursday - around 4:00 a.m., if I remember correctly. Since it was mid-Winter we didn't see the sun come up for quite a while and we were already over the mountains and near Price before we could see anything through the windows. We missed all of Spanish Fork Canyon and Price Canyon, but the canyons later in the day in Colorado made up for that.

The trip took 14 or 15 hours, but we went through country that was so scenic it was worth the trip. Much of this was through places where it would be impossible to get to in a car. Even in the parts that could be seen by car, sitting in the train and not driving made it so much easier to enjoy the scenery.

Take a look at the video below to see some of what we saw.

[video=youtube;nON2Bffj3MI]

Google Earth viewable .kmz file of tracks and places on the trip.

whenever i travel to Denver to see my sister, I travel via Amtrak from Green River. It's quite a treat to go through those back canyons of the Colorado River once east of Glenwood Springs. Plus it is such an affordable travel option. plus the bonus of not having to deal with Vail Pass if weather isn't good.
thanks for sharing!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
WasatchWill A Provo Paradise Hiking & Camping 2
Jackson A Winter Attempt of Provo Peak Backpacking 9
George_Washington_Hayduke Provo River "Bikepackraftoneering" On The Water 2
WasatchWill Provo Peak (via Slate & Slide Canyon) Backpacking 12
steve Invite Floating the Provo river (Provo Canyon) this Tuesday Meet Up (Members Only) 12
steve Floating the Provo River On The Water 0
WasatchWill Park City to Provo - 65 miles in 4 days Backpacking 22
WasatchWill Summit Park to Provo Attempt Backpacking 3
kerkphil Provo Canyon Petroglyphs Everything Else 2
BrettCottrell 2007 Uintas Provo River Drainage Backpacking 6
Nick Bigfoot Sighting in Provo Canyon? General Discussion 7
Nick North Fork Provo River, Uintas Backpacking 4
BeeAndElle Hello from Denver!! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
Happyidiot Looking for camping spot close to Denver. General Discussion 2
I Hello from Denver, CO Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
dcpm012 Hello from Denver Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
Jimmy 3-Day Backpacking Trip w/in 2-3 Hours of Denver? Trip Planning 8
Kyle P Day Hikes around Denver Trip Planning 0
LandOfLizards Greetings from Denver Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
TrektheWorld Anyone from the Denver area Colorado who would want to meet up this summer for a CO or UT jaunt? Meet Up (Members Only) 1
TrailScot Escalante Loop via Dry Hollow and Boulder Mail Trail - September 2023 Backpacking 8
Tweedie Weminuche off-Trail from Elk Park to Needleton 2023 (Via Vestal, Balsam, Noname and Ruby) Backpacking 15
BobFink Mirror Plateau via Pelican Valley and Pelican Creek, July / August 2023 Backpacking 12
priz1234 Alta Via 1 2023 Backpacking 8
TheMountainRabbit Dana Meadows to Twin Lakes via the High Route (Yosemite/Hoover Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 8
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek via Woodruff Canyon, April 2023 Backpacking 9
BobFink Yellowstone South Entrance to Fox Creek via Basin Creek Cutoff - Labor Day 2022 Trip Reports 4
Parma Has Anyone Here Done Alta Via 1? Trip Planning 25
TheMountainRabbit Red's Meadow to Tuolumne Meadows via the High Route (Ansel Adams/Yosemite Wilderness) - August 2022 Backpacking 5
H Access to Grand Gulch via Water Canyon Trip Planning 2
Yvonne Climbing Mount Saint Helens via Monitor Ridge Route, July 2021 Hiking & Camping 16
RyanP Coyote Gulch to Halls Creek via Steven's Canyon and the Baker Route (car/key swap) Meet Up (Members Only) 8
Janice Cosmic Ashtray via Wolverine/Little Death Hollow & Escalante River? Trip Planning 16
C Coyote Gulch via Chimney rock trail Trip Planning 0
SirDonB Echo Lake via the Overlook Mt Trail Hiking & Camping 0
norwegianxplorer Mt Whitney Virtual Hike via Horseshoe Meadows & Mt Langley, Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park Backpacking 1
Mike K Kings Peak Via Garfield Basin Backpacking 18
scatman Mount Raymond via Bowman Fork - June 27, 2020 Hiking & Camping 6
RyanP Coyote Gulch to Halls Creek via Stevens Canyon Trip Planning 28
F Coyote Gulch via Dry Fork? Trip Planning 2
S Backcountry camping tips for Wind Rivers - upper Green River valley via canoe Trip Planning 5
bdunn02 Stough Creek Basin via Twin Lakes Backpacking 7
P Teton Crest Trail via Coal Creek/Moose Meadow trails Trip Planning 2
tropicalwanderer YNP : 8/31-9/7 : Heart Lake to Nine Mile via CDT, South Boundary and Thorofare Trip Planning 9
ADubs Looking for info from anyone who has done the Egypt loop and exited via 25mile wash (Escalante). Trip Planning 3
J Brooks Lake area to Younts Peak via the Continental Divide Trip Planning 24
Artemus Via Ferrata - Piz da Cir V, in the Dolomites of Northern Italy Hiking & Camping 12
NorthwestWanderer Tomyhoi via Yellow Aster Butte, WA Backpacking 5
Titans Wasson Peak via Hugh Norris trail - Tucson Mountains - SAGUARO NP (WEST) Hiking & Camping 0
ram Mt. Shuksan via the Sulfide Glacier Backpacking 11