Possible to go up Red Breaks?

I am putting together a trip and was wondering if anybody has ascended up red breaks? Is it possible to do in full sized backpacks? Thanks!

I did some hiking in Red Breaks with one of my kids last spring, we went up the main fork to the junction with the Big West Fork. Up to that point there are a few easy climbs where it would be no problem to hand packs up to a person above. From there we popped up onto the rim and worked our way around to the volcano. It's a great area but speaking for myself it's probably not large enough to really justify a backpacking trip (especially a dry one). I've also hiked to the volcano from the end of Old Sheffield road, that's a nice easy walk.

I did some hiking in Red Breaks with one of my kids last spring, we went up the main fork to the junction with the Big West Fork. Up to that point there are a few easy climbs where it would be no problem to hand packs up to a person above. From there we popped up onto the rim and worked our way around to the volcano. It's a great area but speaking for myself it's probably not large enough to really justify a backpacking trip (especially a dry one). I've also hiked to the volcano from the end of Old Sheffield road, that's a nice easy walk.
Thanks Regehr! Red Breaks is just a small piece of the puzzle. I am planning a 10 day packraft, backpack, canyoneering route for next spring with red breaks in the mix.

yes.

I exited near one of the large poor offs, up the mesa, and then down near the Navel. Don't have specifics, but defintely worth it.

Back