Point Reyes National Seashore Coast Camp Trip

This is a two night Point Reyes, CA backpack into Coast Camp along the Laguna trail and then back out along the Coast trail. Had two cancellations for this trip last spring due to lock down and this trip almost seemed doomed as well, with a supposed bad storm brewing for the last weekend of April during our trip and the road to get to the trail head being semi closed. We assumed there would be fewer people so just went for it. Good idea, as the camp only had 3 other sites occupied. My understanding is that reservations are usually filled fast.

P4250487.JPG
This is the first official overnight backpack that we have taken our kids on (5 and 7). They were troopers the whole time packing in their own cloths and water. I thought this would be a good trip for them with low mileage and elevation. Coast Camp was also the first place I backpacked overnight with my dad at age 5. It was a lot more free for all at that time in the 80’s, as far has campsites went. People just had tents up anywhere as I recall.

P4250496.JPG
We hit the perfect timing for the flower bloom, shrubs and small trees were also lit up with color along the trail. View at the top of the first ridge. From here the overcast and drizzly weather started to dissipate rather quickly to clear skies. Personally, I was kind of disappointed, as I prefer the ocean when it is overcast and or foggy. It just seems more alive.

P4250512.JPG
Looking south you can just see the edge of the fire burn from the unfortunate Woodward fire that happened just last year. Many of the trails are still off limits as of this writing. Be sure to check the Point Reyes NPS page, they have a lot of updates on there.

P4250519.JPG
This eucalyptus tree is massive and sits just at the edge of Coast Camp before heading down to the beach. I do not remember this tree as a kid.

P4250670.JPG
View down toward Sculptured Beach. The wild flower bloom was just intense, yellows, purples, and blues.

P4250575.JPG
The evening views along Santa Maria Beach were excellent. The wind was rather intense at times during this trip, which seems to add to the exposure level. The coolness of spring certainly took the edge off of the sun though.

P4250620.JPG
My kids certainty had an excellent time, they don’t need much to be super excited about things like this. I would recommend this location as an option for a first backpack with young kids. The campsites offer tables and food lockers. There is a communal bathroom and several freshwater spouts. The beach is just really entertaining, relaxing, and for me, offers a much needed juxtaposition to any sierra backpacking I might typically do. Just can’t believe it took me 35 years to come back out here. I also put together a short video with more views for those interested: Coast Camp 2021 short video

Very cute. And it looks like you were lucky with the weather---it can get pretty foggy and damp until late summer/fall. Your kids seem to be well on their way to be great backpackers!
Thanks, ya weather was kinda random. But we were prepared for rain, just never happened. They are good hikers and love nature. I was privileged in the places my own dad took me and try to pass on to them. We just did Angel Island today and they covered 5.5 miles super well. I'm exhausted though lol.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Tim Valentine Point Reyes National Seashore December 2021 Hiking & Camping 14
Miya 'Rain' in the New Year - Point Reyes National Seashore, CA Backpacking 14
wsp_scott Point Reyes August 2022 Hiking & Camping 6
balzaccom Point Reyes wildlife Hiking & Camping 2
scatman Pencil Point - March 11, 2023 Hiking & Camping 15
fossana Browns Point > Summit > Whipple loop (Pine Valley Mountains Wilderness, UT) Hiking & Camping 1
misSOULa Montana's Bitterroot Mountains: Big Creek Lakes and Ranger Point Backpacking 2
NorthwestWanderer Olympic Peninsula - Sand Point & Cape Flattery Hiking & Camping 5
NorthwestWanderer Junior Point, Chelan Mountains, WA Backpacking 1
Eugene Monument Point to Thunder River and Deer Creek Backpacking 9
J Burr Point Happy Canyon Airstrip Trip Planning 0
TrektheWorld I need a new point and shoot camera Photography 1
Udink Deadman Point, Haystack Mountain, and Mount Tukuhnikivatz Hiking & Camping 3
Udink Angel Point to Robber's Roost Canyon Hiking & Camping 0
Bryan Harwood Bitterroot Summit Hike #3: Gash Point Hiking & Camping 0
hatchcanyon Utah: Green River, Fossil Point Off Road 1
Nick Ringing in 2016 at Alstrom Point Hiking & Camping 20
fiber Happy Canyon/Sams Mesa Box Canyon - 4 day loop from Burr Point Canyoneering 7
Blake Merrell Wind River Trip - Day 4 - Indian Basin and Knife Point Glaicer Backpacking 4
Udink Angel Point Trail - West Hiking & Camping 6
uintahiker Hiking Mt Magazine/Signal Hill: Arkansas State High Point Hiking & Camping 1
D Anyone been to Tatahatso Point, Navajo Nation Trip Planning 1
Jammer Alstrom Point Road Conditions? Trip Planning 9
balzaccom Yosemite off Glacier Point Road Backpacking 0
fiber Hanksville Shuttle Needed: April 18 from Burr Point to West Rock Canyon Trip Planning 0
hatchcanyon Buckacre Point Trip Planning 0
Laura Directions to Marlboro Point? Trip Planning 8
Joey Sams Mesa/Twin Corral Box Canyons Loop from Burr Point Backpacking 11
Ben Grand Canyon, Tonto trail, Grandview Point to Hermits Rest. 8 days, october Backpacking 21
Tater Head point and shoot-What to buy? Photography 5
Hurakan Highline to Grandview point to point Trip Planning 0
jonmessina Lava Point Campground Trip Planning 1
uintahiker Texas High Point: Guadalupe Peak Hiking & Camping 0
R good meeting point for Grand Canyon North Rim Trip Planning 1
Kristen M. Caldon Photo 3 strikes on Plateau Point Hiking & Camping 6
IntrepidXJ Zabriskie Point to Badwater Hiking & Camping 6
Kristen M. Caldon Photo Grand Canyon Hiking~ South Bass to Tiyo Point 10/12 Backpacking 10
ROKTAXI White Pocket, The Wave & Alstrom Point Hiking & Camping 9
IntrepidXJ Alstrom Point to Johns Canyon Hiking & Camping 8
IntrepidXJ Flag Point Hiking & Camping 5
kballing Point and Shoot Photography 34
Tyler Zion West Rim backpacking September 2009 (Lava Point to the main canyon) Backpacking 7
IntrepidXJ Marlboro Point Sunrise Photography 9
TheMountainRabbit News Release: Yellowstone National Park increases protection for bears and visitor safety by implementing changes to two bear management areas General Discussion 16
scatman The Gallatin River, Bighorn and Fawn Passes, Yellowstone National Park - September 7, 2023 Backpacking 14
futurafree government shutdown effects on national forests? General Discussion 21
BJett Packrafting the Obed National Wild & Scenic River - Tennessee On The Water 1
fossana New Baaj Nwaavjo I'tah Kukveni National Monument General Discussion 4
J York Fire, Mojave National Preserve. Aug 2023 Resource Discussions 3
Janice Field Trip - Washington Post podcast about national parks General Discussion 0