Point Reyes August 2022

wsp_scott

I added a couple extra days after Yosemite to check out Point Reyes National Seashore. Point Reyes had been on the "need to see" list since @Tim Valentine's report https://backcountrypost.com/threads/point-reyes-national-seashore-december-2021.10080/ Thanks Tim for the inspiration

The couple days ended up being basically free since a slightly later flight was cheap enough to cover the extra days for the rental.

I got a campsite reservation at Samuel Taylor State Park which put me close enough to Point Reyes for easy drives and it had showers to get clean before flying home.

Point Reyes is crawling with animals, birds, elk, elephant seals, ...

_DSC0606.jpg

_DSC0720.jpg

_DSC0752.jpg

_DSC0757.jpg

_DSC0810.jpg

What is this? A badger? Long way off and disappeared after two photos, so hard to tell.
_DSC0818.jpg

_DSC0841.jpg

_DSC0865.jpg

What are you looking at?
_DSC0868.jpg

_DSC0884.jpg

Seagull and crab fight
_DSC0929.jpg

On top of the animals, there is a lot of beautiful views
_DSC0618.jpg

_DSC0678.jpg

_DSC0787.jpg

_DSC0822.jpg

_DSC0892.jpg

Old Lifeboat Station
_DSC0894.jpg

_DSC0917.jpg

_DSC0952.jpg

I highly recommend a visit to Point Reyes, awesome place, hope to return again

Lots more photos/details here (no ads) - https://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com/2023/03/point-reyes.html

Yup that is a badger. Facial markings and structure (of the face) strongly suggest as such.

Yup that is a badger. Facial markings and structure (of the face) strongly suggest as such.

Thanks, a badger is the only thing I could think of, but could not find mention of them on the Point Reyes site.

Awesome photos.

I'm thinking about heading there for a few days in June. We got snowed out of our High Sierra plans, so we're thinking about splitting a trip up between Reyes & Yosemite.

June, and most of early summer is gloomy at Pt. Reyes. You won't get snow, but your gear will soaked every morning with fog and dew. It's not a deal breaker, but don't say I didn't warn you.

Best is.late August through October--clear skies, sunny weather.

Wow you had some great encounters! Now I am inspired for a return trip. I think I will take balzaccoms advice and plan it later in the summer. I have never seen a badger in California. That is a highlight. I forgot about the yellow lupine bushes. They really look good in the pictures. Seagull vs crab was good on your blog site. Gopher are pests in my yard. It is rare to see them out of their hole. I don't have any of them on camera, so good job on that capture.

thanks for the report!

tv

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
balzaccom Point Reyes wildlife Hiking & Camping 2
Tim Valentine Point Reyes National Seashore December 2021 Hiking & Camping 14
BackpackingtheSierras Point Reyes National Seashore Coast Camp Trip Backpacking 4
Miya 'Rain' in the New Year - Point Reyes National Seashore, CA Backpacking 14
scatman Pencil Point - March 11, 2023 Hiking & Camping 15
fossana Browns Point > Summit > Whipple loop (Pine Valley Mountains Wilderness, UT) Hiking & Camping 1
misSOULa Montana's Bitterroot Mountains: Big Creek Lakes and Ranger Point Backpacking 2
NorthwestWanderer Olympic Peninsula - Sand Point & Cape Flattery Hiking & Camping 5
NorthwestWanderer Junior Point, Chelan Mountains, WA Backpacking 1
Eugene Monument Point to Thunder River and Deer Creek Backpacking 9
J Burr Point Happy Canyon Airstrip Trip Planning 0
TrektheWorld I need a new point and shoot camera Photography 1
Udink Deadman Point, Haystack Mountain, and Mount Tukuhnikivatz Hiking & Camping 3
Udink Angel Point to Robber's Roost Canyon Hiking & Camping 0
Bryan Harwood Bitterroot Summit Hike #3: Gash Point Hiking & Camping 0
hatchcanyon Utah: Green River, Fossil Point Off Road 1
Nick Ringing in 2016 at Alstrom Point Hiking & Camping 20
fiber Happy Canyon/Sams Mesa Box Canyon - 4 day loop from Burr Point Canyoneering 7
Blake Merrell Wind River Trip - Day 4 - Indian Basin and Knife Point Glaicer Backpacking 4
Udink Angel Point Trail - West Hiking & Camping 6
uintahiker Hiking Mt Magazine/Signal Hill: Arkansas State High Point Hiking & Camping 1
D Anyone been to Tatahatso Point, Navajo Nation Trip Planning 1
Jammer Alstrom Point Road Conditions? Trip Planning 9
balzaccom Yosemite off Glacier Point Road Backpacking 0
fiber Hanksville Shuttle Needed: April 18 from Burr Point to West Rock Canyon Trip Planning 0
hatchcanyon Buckacre Point Trip Planning 0
Laura Directions to Marlboro Point? Trip Planning 8
Joey Sams Mesa/Twin Corral Box Canyons Loop from Burr Point Backpacking 11
Ben Grand Canyon, Tonto trail, Grandview Point to Hermits Rest. 8 days, october Backpacking 21
Tater Head point and shoot-What to buy? Photography 5
Hurakan Highline to Grandview point to point Trip Planning 0
jonmessina Lava Point Campground Trip Planning 1
uintahiker Texas High Point: Guadalupe Peak Hiking & Camping 0
R good meeting point for Grand Canyon North Rim Trip Planning 1
Kristen M. Caldon Photo 3 strikes on Plateau Point Hiking & Camping 6
IntrepidXJ Zabriskie Point to Badwater Hiking & Camping 6
Kristen M. Caldon Photo Grand Canyon Hiking~ South Bass to Tiyo Point 10/12 Backpacking 10
ROKTAXI White Pocket, The Wave & Alstrom Point Hiking & Camping 9
IntrepidXJ Alstrom Point to Johns Canyon Hiking & Camping 8
IntrepidXJ Flag Point Hiking & Camping 5
kballing Point and Shoot Photography 34
Tyler Zion West Rim backpacking September 2009 (Lava Point to the main canyon) Backpacking 7
IntrepidXJ Marlboro Point Sunrise Photography 9
BobFink Mirror Plateau via Pelican Valley and Pelican Creek, July / August 2023 Backpacking 12
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
Georgia Yankee Isle Royale Kayaking August/Sept. 2023 On The Water 8
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
TheMountainRabbit Dana Meadows to Twin Lakes via the High Route (Yosemite/Hoover Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 8
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
TheMountainRabbit Silas Canyon (Popo Agie Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 3