Plan My Trip: Carlsbad vs Flagstaff/Sedona vs. SoCal

uintahiker

Adventure Guru
I'm in the initial planning stages of another trip. I've got to decide where to go first. Here are my three options. All are a days drive away for me. Timeframe- we'd be gone for a week later this fall.

Option 1: Carlsbad, New Mexico. We''d hit up the Caverns, White Sands, Guadalupe Mtns, and whatever else you'd recommend.

Option 2: Flagstaff/Sedona. Get back to the mountains and some redrock, lots of national monuments up in the area, and whatever else you'd recommend.

Option 3: Southern California. The beach, tidepools, Sea World, maybe the Channel Islands National Park, the geoglyphs along the AZ/CA border, and whatever else you'd recommend.

I can't decide between them, so give me some compelling reasons on where you'd go and why you'd go there! I'm also up for places that I've gotta check out while I'm there, whether it's a great hike, awesome view, relaxing place to chill, or anything else.

What do you want to do? Personally I'd skip SoCal because I already live here (San Diego), but October/November is one of the best times to visit. The weather is picture perfect (not too hot, not too cold) the crowds have gone home (except for the 3 million of us who live here), you'll have the beach to yourself but the water will be about 62 degrees. The local mountains have nice hiking, great mountain biking, apple season is underway. Lots of places to relax here if that's what you're looking for. If you decide on San Diego e-mail me with what you'd like to do and I'll find it for you. I'll be in Kauai for the next week (yes, I lead a rough life) so I won't be able to answer until late next week.

Just curious, you have two nature oriented trips and one beachy/big city trip under consideration. If you're more into nature and hiking, have you considered visiting the Eastern Sierra? Spectacular hiking, most of it over 9,000 ft, and early October the aspens will be at their peak.

I really enjoyed Carlsbad:

http://www.edarnell.com/Trips/page76.html

Between those options, I would rather go to Carlsbad. I liked it because it was dramatically different from anything else...it wasn't just another beach, it wasn't just another mountain, it wasn't just another desert. A big cave is unique, and this one is particularly unique.

But, hey, any trip is a good trip!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
kimbur96 Want to plan my first multi day trip, thinking Continental Divide NST Trip Planning 3
jrh Help me plan my trip (while I'm on it!) Trip Planning 8
jdgibney Help Me Plan Our Trip! Trip Planning 40
uintahiker Resources used to find/plan a trip Trip Planning 16
fossana Bears Ears NM draft Resource Management Plan open for public comment until 6/11/2024 General Discussion 5
fossana Public comment for revised Grand Staircase Escalante NM management plan (comments open 11 Aug - 9 Nov) General Discussion 11
B Sawtooths - Off Trail Route Plan Trip Planning 9
OwenM Backup plan for Needles in December? Trip Planning 2
U Glacier North Circle Loop Mid July - Looking for an alternative back-up plan for a 3-4 nighter Trip Planning 0
DrNed Plan B to High Uintas Backpacking Trip Planning 20
mattvogt7 Plan B Backpacking 12
fossana Plan B Rainy Day Backyard Exploring Hiking & Camping 9
jdfut66 Teton Crest Trail backup plan Trip Planning 5
Nick A Swell Plan B Hiking & Camping 10
Rockskipper NASA has plan to defuse Yellowstone (for real) General Discussion 4
Perry Cuberant Basin On Sunday - Need Some Advice and a Plan B Trip Planning 6
Mike Jones Always have a Plan D... Hiking & Camping 3
balzaccom Plan to avoid Delaware North services at all times! Trip Planning 0
balzaccom File a hike plan? Not this way... Trip Planning 3
LarryBoy Help plan a February weekend in southern Utah! Trip Planning 12
Dave Grand Staircase grazing plan General Discussion 42
Dave Virgin River management plan General Discussion 0
jdgibney Plan for Visiting/Shooting Coyote Buttes North Photography 6
balzaccom Spring trip to the Desert Hiking & Camping 0
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
Tarp Boy Looking for Shuttle service for Uintas Granddaddy basin trip Trip Planning 0
John Goering More ancient past from the archives, 1981 Beartooths trip Backpacking 11
John Goering The ancient past. 1980 Beartooth trip Backpacking 11
Bob Short Motor Trip Thru Cody, Cooke City Off Road 6
Bob Wind Rivers - Short Trip to Cook Lake Trip Reports 9
Stephanie Help! Looking for a 1-2 day trip Backpacking 9
RockyMntCol Trip Planning Younts Peak / South Fork Yellowstone Trip Planning 12
C What's a good insurance company for Wilderness Trip Outfitters Trip Planning 1
scatman Pre-trip Preparation General Discussion 176
Honk34 Day Trip WY Golden Trout Hiking & Camping 1
Janice Field Trip - Washington Post podcast about national parks General Discussion 0
J Castle/Conundrum/Hot Springs Trip - Colorado Trip Planning 5
balzaccom A civilized trip--on the rivers of Europe On The Water 0
Vegan.Hiker 8 day trip to Utah Trip Planning 10
C Thorofare Trip - September 2023 Trip Planning 3
W Gulf of Slides Ski Trail Trip Report 1/25/2022 Trip Reports 0
Ymyr Suggestions in a Yellowstone and a Beartooth trip Trip Planning 29
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
travel2walk last minute Colorado trip, maybe 4 passes? Meet Up (Members Only) 0
P Bighorns (WY) Trip report Backpacking 8
kwc A Few More Photos from Scatman’s Grizzly Lake trip … Backpacking 3
John Goering Pioneer Mountains, Montana <50" UTV trip Off Road 3
Kerrie at Thru We Go Packraft Trip in the Sierra Nevada Mountains Trip Reports 3
Georgia Yankee Can't seem to edit my trip report Questions, Suggestions & Support 4
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10