Pioneer Ridge Trail,

JDWalters

Disclaimer: These photos and my report are from September, 2014.

The Pioneer Ridge Trail is a strenuous route up Pioneer Peak, about an hour's drive from Anchorage, AK. The trail is easily accessible, as it starts right by the parking area. There is now a $5 parking fee.
1.jpg

The trail is well-maintained, by Alaska standards. That is to say, it is easy to follow, but fairly narrow and prone to be muddy. The first several miles particularly, are in the woods and can be quite slippery -- thankfully there are typically branches to hold onto. The elevation gain on this trail is constant -- I believe it gains 5000 feet over 5 miles. As tiring as the uphill was for me, it was on the way back down that I really understood and felt how steep the trail was.

The first two miles are in fairly dense woods, without much to see. However, once I got above the treeline, the view was spectacular.
2.jpg

Knik Glacier is easily seen in the distance (even easier with a telephoto lens!)
3.jpg

After several more miles with this view, I made it onto the ridge, and the trail leveled out quite a bit.
4.jpg

The summit of Pioneer Peak, which had been obscured up to this point, soon became visible.
5.jpg

The Pioneer Ridge Trail is appropriately named, as it does lead to the ridge and then follow it. However, the trail ends as the ridge makes a sharp right and heads up to the summit. However, it was not difficult to continue on. Care was taken, as the rocks were sharp and often loose.
6.jpg

In the distance, I was able to see a new (to me) glacier. Looking at map later, I'm guessing that it was the Hunter Creek Glacier, but I'm not positive.
7.jpg

I have read that it's possible to climb the North Summit of Pioneer Peak from the ridge (not the true summit, but still a worthwhile goal), and the closer I got, the more I wanted to go for it. However, I was worried that I would run out of time, so I turned back around this point.
8.jpg

One last photo, looking northwest towards the confluence of the Knik and Matanuska Rivers.
9.jpg

GPS Track:
10.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff man!

If I may be so bold, allow me to suggest choosing "Full Image" when you up load images.

IMG_2959.JPG VS.IMG_2959.JPG
Don't make that Alaska beauty so hard to see! ;)

Looking at your GPS track - that is quite the climb.!
Thanks

Good stuff man!

If I may be so bold, allow me to suggest choosing "Full Image" when you up load images.

View attachment 54375 VS.View attachment 54375
Don't make that Alaska beauty so hard to see! ;)

Looking at your GPS track - that is quite the climb.!
Thanks
Thanks for the good suggestion. I'll look for that option on the next one. I thought that the thumbnails could be opened by clicking on them, but I see that is not the case.

Usually the thumbnails do open to a larger image. I'll have to look into that. In the meantime, I fixed the post and made the images full size.

Usually the thumbnails do open to a larger image. I'll have to look into that. In the meantime, I fixed the post and made the images full size.
Thanks for doing that. Sorry, I didn't see your response until after I'd edited the post. Originally, I just dragged the photos up from the bottom when creating the post. Learning curve...

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
John Goering Pioneer Mountains, Montana <50" UTV trip Off Road 3
balzaccom Mono Pass/Pioneer Basin Backpacking 0
Tyler Ephraim Canyon mountain biking: Pioneer trail Off Road 0
Bob Specimen Ridge Petrified Trees Trip Reports 0
seaview53 Chinese Wall - ridge walk thoughts and suggestions Trip Planning 2
scatman Parley's Ridge - May 20, 2023 Hiking & Camping 21
scatman Black Mountain Ridge - May 13, 2023 Hiking & Camping 49
scatman Van Cott Ridge - April 29, 2023 Hiking & Camping 7
scatman North Ridge of City Creek Canyon - February 4, 2023 Hiking & Camping 17
scatman South Ridge of City Creek Canyon - January 28, 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
SteveR Amazing Akamina Ridge Hiking & Camping 4
scatman West Millcreek Ridge - July 10, 2022 Hiking & Camping 22
scatman East Millcreek Ridge - July 2, 2022 Hiking & Camping 21
scatman Millcreek Ridge Planning Trip Planning 22
Yvonne Climbing Mount Saint Helens via Monitor Ridge Route, July 2021 Hiking & Camping 16
scatman Foothill Follies Part 2 - Black Mountain Ridge and City Creek Canyon Loop - November 11, 2021 Hiking & Camping 6
TheMountainRabbit Horse Ridge to Mount Febbas (Fitzpatrick Wilderness) - July 2021 Backpacking 24
travel2walk Lamar River, Pelican Valley, & Speciman Ridge loop - Yellowstone, Jun 29 to Jul 3, 2021 Backpacking 15
Gwen T Fortymile Ridge Road Trip Planning 5
Perry Dahlgreen Ridge - A Navigationally Challenged Day Hiking & Camping 8
scatman Neff's Ridge Loop - June 13, 2020 Hiking & Camping 10
scatman Parley's Ridge or Subaru to Jeep - April 25, 2020 Hiking & Camping 20
Perry Day Hike Exploring the Wasatch Ridge Line Hiking & Camping 5
Hiker Seth Franconia Ridge today Hiking & Camping 7
NorthwestWanderer Uncle visits Washington (Ptarmigan Ridge, Slate Peak & Wing Lake) Backpacking 4
Perry Middle Fork Blacks Fork Ridge Way Trail - Does It Exist? Hiking & Camping 5
SteveR Pocaterra Ridge, Alberta Hiking & Camping 7
NorthwestWanderer Poet Ridge - Glacier Peak Wilderness Hiking & Camping 3
scatman Van Cott Ridge - April 20, 2019 Hiking & Camping 5
balzaccom Comb Ridge and Wash Trip Planning 8
Ugly Snowy Dawn Traverse on Deer Ridge Hiking & Camping 6
NorthwestWanderer Ptarmigan Ridge, Mt. Baker Wilderness WA Backpacking 8
NorthwestWanderer Delancy Ridge via Driveway Butte, Okanogan NF, WA (5/20) Hiking & Camping 3
AbinadiWitness Part 1: Telluride Via Ferrata and Mount Sneffels SW Ridge from Blue Lakes- Colorado Trip # 1 - 2017 Backpacking 0
Wanderlust073 Black Ridge Canyons Wilderness / Rattlesnake Canyon maps Trip Planning 6
Adventure monkey Steve Allen's exit out of Happy Canyon to the Big Ridge. Trip Planning 17
M VIDEO - Mt. Lindsey (14,042 ft) Northwest Ridge Hiking & Camping 0
piper01 Wolfman Panel, Comb Ridge/Valley of the Gods Hiking & Camping 3
Udink Nine Mile Canyon XIV: Warrior Ridge Hiking & Camping 4
WasatchWill A Recon Trip Around Comb Ridge Hiking & Camping 6
TannerT Adam's Canyon North Ridge 1/23 Hiking & Camping 10
Artemus Multimodal Transport on Wham Ridge Backpacking 41
Vegan.Hiker A Farewell to Fall along the Shawangunk Ridge Hiking & Camping 6
kansas ruins at Comb Ridge Trip Planning 3
kansas roads along Comb Ridge Trip Planning 6
Udink Price Canyon Recreation Area to Ford Ridge Hiking & Camping 4
scatman Millcreek Ridge - July 3, 2015 Hiking & Camping 25
T GSMNP Sunkota Ridge, Thomas Divide, Noland Divide, Deep Creek Backpacking 4