Pinto Valley Wilderness, NV - 3 Day 25 Mile Loop Hike March 2017

seekinglost

In March 2017 I did a 3 day 25 mile loop hike in the Pinto Valley Wilderness, 1 hour east of Las Vegas. This area is part of the Lake Mead National Recreation Area. This place was very colorful and unique, not the typical desert hike:

DSC09103.jpg
DSC08871.jpg
DSC08901.jpg
DSC09094.jpg
DSC09130.jpg
DSC09154.jpg
DSC09191.jpg

Almost all of this hike is off trail. We had to do about 2 miles of road walking each way coming to and from the trailhead to make this loop work. I would add a more detailed write up here, but I already have a 4000+ word trip report written here(with my caltopo map for the hike):

http://metalbackpacker.com/pinto-valley-wilderness-3-day-loop-hike/

I have a video of the hike on youtube as well:

Last edited:
Very cool report, and very cool area. I went and read the whole thing on your web site. I know of Lake Mead, of course, but I had no idea this wilderness area existed. It must have been rough to carry all your water for those days, but the scenery and the experience seem to have made up for it!

Very cool report, and very cool area. I went and read the whole thing on your web site. I know of Lake Mead, of course, but I had no idea this wilderness area existed. It must have been rough to carry all your water for those days, but the scenery and the experience seem to have made up for it!

Thanks Jackson. I found it using wilderness.net's interactive map, I hadn't heard of it either. Very glad I went though! Carrying water for 3 days wasn't too bad, it gets lighter pretty quickly. Plus the lack of water keeps the crowds away, practically nobody backcountry camps out there from what I can tell. Most of the area is accessible by dayhike though. This was my first visit to the Vegas area, really looking forward to come back and explore more. I did Valley of Fire state park the day before, that was really cool too.

Neat! I've driven the north shore drive a few times and wondered what it was like between it and the lake. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Born to Hike Early June 3-day jaunt on the Uinta Highline Trail: Naturalist Basin, Pinto Lake, Margo Lake Backpacking 8
regehr kayaking death valley On The Water 1
balzaccom Death Valley in January Hiking & Camping 3
B March at Valley of Fire other recommendations in the area Trip Planning 7
BobFink Mirror Plateau via Pelican Valley and Pelican Creek, July / August 2023 Backpacking 12
Ugly Headless Valley- Film about traveling the Nahanni River General Discussion 5
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park (again!) 06/04/2023 Hiking & Camping 6
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park 05/28/2023 Hiking & Camping 20
wsp_scott Yosemite Valley 2022 Backpacking 12
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
D Onion Valley to Whitney Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley, Trout Creek, Beach Lake, and Arnica Creek Meadows. September 11, 2022. Hiking & Camping 7
RyanP Goblin Valley SP Expansion General Discussion 3
K Hello from the Salt Lake Valley Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
balzaccom Death Valley again Hiking & Camping 0
T Death valley Trip Planning 3
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 3 - 'Desolation Valley' to Halls Lake Backpacking 15
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 2 - Cirque of the Towers to 'Desolation Valley' Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley in a Day -- September 17 2021 Hiking & Camping 27
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. Upper Monarch Canyon plus. Dec 1, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. A Black Mtns and Canyons Traverse Nov 30, 2021 Hiking & Camping 2
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. 6 Days hiking. Nov 14-19, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
scatman Hayden Valley Loop - Yellowstone National Park - September 17, 2021 Hiking & Camping 34
travel2walk Lamar River, Pelican Valley, & Speciman Ridge loop - Yellowstone, Jun 29 to Jul 3, 2021 Backpacking 15
J Death Valley National Park and Area Mountain Rambles Dec. 16-17, 2020 Hiking & Camping 0
J Death Valley Natl. Pk: Funeral Pk, Slit Canyon, and Big Dune. Dec 21-22, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley NP Black Mountains and beyond Hiking Dec 19-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
Burrito Death Valley van trip turns into something pretty special General Discussion 7
beaver-one Yellowstone advice: Lamar River - Pelican Valley - Mirror Plateau loop this summer Trip Planning 6
TheMountainRabbit Lamar River, Mirror Plateau, and Pelican Valley (Yellowstone NP) - mid-September 2020 Backpacking 28
balzaccom Death Valley again Hiking & Camping 4
Arizona Jones Willow Valley Loop Hike, Arizona Canyoneering 8
Miya Death Valley Birthday - Part 2 (3.7.20-03.8.20) Backpacking 15
A Info on Tehipite Valley Trip Planning 1
Miya Death Valley Birthday - Part 1 (3.5.20-3.6.20) Hiking & Camping 28
Kullaberg63 Pack Creek to Castle Valley - below the rim. Backpacking 0
westy Meadow Valley Mountains Backpacking 7
westy Meadow Valley Mountains Hiking & Camping 2
Scott Chandler Death Valley Trip Planning 7
J Death Valley National Park Keene Canyon-Wonder Mine Loop. Dec. 3, 2019 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley Natl Pk Ibex Peak, Jubliee Mtn, Virgin Springs summits Dec. 2, 2019 Hiking & Camping 0
J Death Valley NP: Corkscrew and Artist Palette Peaks, scramble dayhikes Nov 2019 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley NP. Marble-Cottonwood (side slot) lollipop loop Nov 17-19,2019 Backpacking 10
S Backcountry camping tips for Wind Rivers - upper Green River valley via canoe Trip Planning 5
fossana Browns Point > Summit > Whipple loop (Pine Valley Mountains Wilderness, UT) Hiking & Camping 1
swmalone Questions about Lamar Valley Hikes Trip Planning 9
Yvonne Kolob Terrace exploration: from Hop Valley to North Gate Peaks, May 2019 Hiking & Camping 7
C Skutumpah road closed at Bull Valley Gorge General Discussion 9
Stephanie B Grotto, Hidden Valley, and Moab Mastadon Hiking & Camping 2