Pinnacles National Park Winter

Tim Valentine

This relatively new National Park is located in Central California, closer to the coast than it is to the High Sierra, Pinnacles is a great day hiking destination. It remains snow free and accessible all winter. There is only one campground, located on the East side. There is no road through the park that connects the West side to the East side. There is no backpacking allowed. This report is a composite of a couple of trips made this winter. The latest was a February trip consisting of two days of day hikes from the campground side (East) that consisted of two long loops. We were able to hike almost all of the parks trails shown in the trail map below in those two days.

IMG_4726.jpg

There is a fair amount of wildlife to be seen. In the quiet of the winter months sometimes bobcats can be seen hunting the ground squirrels near the vacant campsites.
_73A7763.jpg

Quail , deer, turkeys and other birds are used to people and almost approachable.
_73A7717.jpg

_73A8657.jpg

The best hikes are the trail that lead up into the pinnacles themselves. There are caved passageways thru the pinnacles that require flashlights for most of the upper trails.

Trail leading out of the Bear Gulch caves.
IMG_4605.jpg

Bear gulch reservoir above the caves.
IMG_4608.jpg

Outside of the park on the drive in there was a Golden Eagle perched above the road.
IMG_0652.jpg

He later landed in a more natural setting.
_73A8589.jpg

A smaller hawk was also cruising the ranch lands outside of the park.
_73A8571.jpg

I hiked the best trails in one weekend with my buddy Russ. It was late February but there were already flowers blooming sporadically along the trail.
IMG_4683.jpg

We saw this rock that looked to us like a whale surfacing. Plankton anybody?
_73A9015.jpg

The trail is quite impressive, taking you right up into the distant Pinnacles.
IMG_4436.jpg

To get there we had to crawl under some narrow areas. I was glad we only had daypacks on.
IMG_4465.jpg

The scenery started to get pretty impressive higher up.
IMG_4494.jpg

There are lots of climbing opportunities and we started to see more climbers as the weekend approached. Prior to that we started to see the other well known Pinnacles residents, the California Condor.
_73A9152.jpg

Their populations are still recovering from the presence of too much lead ammunition being used by hunters. Pinnacles is a common release point for many of the captive raised birds so it is a good place to see North Americas largest bird in the wild. Green 700 from Boise below
_73A9187.jpg

They are almost all tagged and it was fun to identify them by colored tag and then later look them up online to read about their life stories and personalities. From up high we could see some of them perched on distant pinnacles and occasionally they would fly below us.
_73A8736.jpg

The highest part of the trail uses a series of handrails and rock stairs.
IMG_4616.jpg

IMG_4630.jpg

We had lunch at the top and visited with a condor biologist. Condor 78 was named Electra and is known as a dominant female. In this picture I believe you can faintly see part off the birds retracted red neck thru the breast feathers.
_73A9129.jpg

Some other birds were perched around us also. Scrub Jay
_73A8664.jpg

Oak Titmouse
_73A9072.jpg

There was a lot of good scenery up high.
IMG_4614.jpg

IMG_4637.jpg

Then we headed down.
IMG_4640.jpg

The lower parts of the trail run along shaded creeks.
IMG_4438.jpg

IMG_4460.jpg

Early flowers and shaded shrooms.
IMG_4612.jpg

IMG_4452.jpg

West side trail head.
IMG_4454.jpg

On the drive out of the park we saw these Yellow Billed Magpies. They only live in Californias Central valley. Bird folks sometimes drive a long way to see them.
IMG_0604.jpg

Thanks for watching.

Attachments

• _73A8717.jpg
    _73A8717.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4482.jpg
    IMG_4482.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4489.jpg
    IMG_4489.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4611.jpg
    IMG_4611.jpg
    582.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4654.jpg
    IMG_4654.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4666.jpg
    IMG_4666.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4672.jpg
    IMG_4672.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4678.jpg
    IMG_4678.jpg
    782 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Titans

Super cool photos Tim. Thanks for sharing! How busy does it get there mid week?

balzaccom

Thanks for a wonderful reminder of what a nice place this is. We haven't been there in a few years.

It is pretty quiet most of the winter, until the wildflowers make an appearance. Then it gets a little crazy. And in summer it can be an oven. Right now? Perfect.

SteveR

Nice! Enjoy seeing areas that I had never heard of. If that is winter, I could use some of that right now. Zero degrees F with snow and wind here in Calgary this morning, with a winter storm warning and much colder temps on the way for the next two days. Done with it....

Tim Valentine

The park can get pretty hot in the summer. I would check the weather. Winter has always worked for me. Cool nights for sleeping but warming in the afternoon if the sun comes out. Any weekend can get a bit busy on the trails but the campground still had scattered sites available. Midweek is nice and quiet. Did not see any strollers on the trails and not even any climbers on the rocks that had chock dust.

Last edited:

Reef&Ruins

Colorado Plateau is calling...
Awesome TR. I need to visit there. What kind of lens did you use for the bird and bobcat shots?

Tim Valentine

Awesome TR. I need to visit there. What kind of lens did you use for the bird and bobcat shots?
The lens for the bobcat was my big canon 500 on a tripod. Shot not on the hiking trail but from near the campground where my gear was. The bobcats are also seen outside the park stalking ground squirrels on the ranch lands. The birds were shot on the trial with a 70-200 zoom.

chandlerwest

Thanks! It looks like the type of place that I would love to eat up but I always view the Sierra's as our "Great Wall". It is only 437 miles from St. George to Pinnacles as the crow flies. 580 miles to drive it. Maybe some day I'll get there.

Miya

Because I am able.
Wonderful! I was just in Hollister this Saturday and crossed a road that said Pinnacles National Park! Needless to say, I did a double take because I hadn't heard of it before and was very curious since it pretty close to home.
Excited to see this and now I know I am going to need to take a visit. Thanks for the share!