Photography Help

A unicorn flying through a rainbow added with PS would spice that baby up! : )

True. I have experience with this.

riding-unicorn-jpg.8187

While your second shot definitely has better light, I wouldn't call the light in the first shot flat. There are some shadows and a little spotlight in the middle that makes it a little interesting.

Okay, not quite flat but definitely not terribly interesting. :cool:

It's funny...I prefer the first pic to the second by quite a wide margin.

Maybe that's why I'm a terrible photographer :cry:

I actually prefer the one with the unicorn myself. Everyone's preferences are unique and each person responds to something different in a photo, so if you like the first one, nothing wrong with that!

You can fake the light a lot in photoshop, just take a look at most of the popular photos on 500px these days. Fake glow and haze, orton effects out the yingyang, glowing halos spilling over the edge of the mountains on just about every single sunrise/sunset shot. It's the popular trend in landscape photography these days, and probably one of the reasons I am currently more drawn to strong compositions over strong light, because I see too many pictures with photoshopped light, but it's nearly impossible to photoshop yourself into a stronger composition.

*not arguing against photoshop, I use it a fair bit myself, but more against the complete overuse and abuse of it I see by most popular landscape photographers these days.

I think I need to clarify what I mean by good light. It definitely is NOT the overdone, overly dramatic stuff that's all over 500px and Outdoor Photographer these days, and it can't be created by Photoshop if it's not there in the first place. Good light also isn't overly saturated colors either. Good light doesn't scream LOOK AT ME, it's part of the scene and you don't see it right away, you just have your breath taken away by a picture without knowing why. It's hard to describe, easier to show. Pick any David Muench photo and you'll see what I'm talking about. He never has halos, saturated sunsets, any of that crap, just light at its best (and creative compositions, too).

Just found these David Muench photos. "Great White Throne" and "Cottonwood Autumn" are perfect examples of great light. There is no color or clouds in the sky, in one picture you can't even see the sky. FYI-"Great White Throne" was taken just over the bathrooms at the Riverwalk Trail in Zion. Great light can be found anywhere.

http://www.davidmuenchphotography.com/portfolios/autumn_light2.htm#.VA-GBVawh68

Last edited:
Less filling! ... Tastes Great!! lol. Seriously though, I have no clue who's right here (I get the feeling both sides are right). What I DO know is that I'm learning a ton reading the back and forth. Especially by seeing the photo examples. I really need to start studying the nuances and finer points of photography. When I take a picture, I usually don't even come to a complete stop and I just whip it out and start snapping away like the paparazzi chasing Bieber through a crowd - total amateur hour.

OMG, I'm here at a Starbucks and I'm laughing so hard I've got tears in my eyes! :roflmao: