Pebble Creek, Yellowstone National Park - August 14, 2020

Amazing! LOL why did you guys not split the tent up and share the weight?! haha

Happy Birthday to Miss Katie!

Also, that mutant bug on your shirt was terrifying, but also looks epic! Thanks for your share!

Thanks for the entertaining trip report. I feel you may be reaching "legend" status, with you book deal and all.

Legend in my own mind you mean. :) Be sure and pick up a copy of the book when you get a chance. I believe there are only two copies left. Hell, I think there were only two copies produced. @Rockskipper has to set up the printing press and all you know. Moving the type set around is a laborious task I hear. I tried to get her to make a third copy, but she rushed off to Panama to make straw hats, or perhaps she is building a rock wall around her current residence to keep the squirrels out. :D

What a treasure. Looks like a great trip, super happy for you guys. I grew up going backpacking with my dad, but he wasn’t really up for it by the time I was out of high school, so it’s cool to see you being able to continue with your kids as they enter adulthood.

Thanks Ben.

That's good @scatman , glad to hear you recovered quick again! My right foot, old Turf toe injury, it never healed properly. I'm increasing milage now and trying out some trail runners. But those shoes have too flexible soles for that foot injury, it aggravates it. Bummer, because I know most on BCP love hiking in trail runners. How did the mid height Merrell soles hold up on your Yellowstone trip?

At least Katie didn't wake you up at 4 am screaming because a snake moved into the tent (in her dreams)!. Rick has a story to share from last week and he wasn't the one screaming, ha.... :oops:

The mid Merrells worked just fine, though I did think that my feet were a bit sweatier than what I am used to. Of course, that could be due to the hot days instead of the shoes. I'll be wearing them on my Cache Creek Trip in September, so we will see how they do when the weather has cooled down (hopefully).

Katie likes snakes. I take it you had a visitor in your tent? I'm very perceptive. :)

Amazing! LOL why did you guys not split the tent up and share the weight?! haha

Happy Birthday to Miss Katie!

Also, that mutant bug on your shirt was terrifying, but also looks epic! Thanks for your share!

Yeah, I thought about splitting the tent up beforehand, but just decided to carry the entire thing myself. I need them to enjoy the backpacking so that they will continue to head into the backcountry with me. :)

Legend in my own mind you mean. :) Be sure and pick up a copy of the book when you get a chance. I believe there are only two copies left. Hell, I think there were only two copies produced. :D

I printed several thousand copies, but someone bought them all up in the first 10 minutes they were released. Not sure who it was, but someone who lives in the SLC area...

Maybe it was @Nick or @Artemus - Where the h-e-double-hockeysticks is Art, anyway?

Last edited:
He's running around in the Dolomites, eh? Actually, I thought I saw him eating breakfast at the 19th Street Diner in Glenwood Springs the other day.

ETA: I have a fond spot in my heart for him, as he almost saved me from being stuck in my hammock once.

almost saved? do tell.

I was stuck, I mean stuck real good, in this hammock I was trying out. It had a weird center of gravity, and I think later it was a devious plot by REI to kill me so I'd quit returning things.

I didn't have my phone handy, but I did have my computer, and I posted for help here on BCP. Art replied, saying he was going to contact someone in the area like @gnwatts to come rescue me. I was very grateful, knowing I wouldn't be one of those cases they write about in weird ways to die. Art even offered to drive over to Colorado himself if need be. It was a very generous offer, and it made me relax, and this made the hammock flip over. I was saved.

So never underestimate what a simple post on BCP can do to help your fellow human or whatever we are. (Lately, I'm not sure, but that's a different topic.)

I returned the hammock and now use a cot, like my hero @Udink

This little guy liked me for some reason.

A long-horned beetle. Nice photo. From what I have read, they are attracted to our warmth, as it appears in their brains as an image similar to dead trees that have been warmed by the sun. They feed on dead trees. We can hear them chewing on the wood pile in our yard. I had one start to gnaw on my neck a few summers ago. G-D that hurt!

Great report @scatman . I love Pebble Creek valley. Surprised you did not see any bears in there, especially with your particular abilities with such. Great way to celebrate Katie's birthday.

A long-horned beetle. Nice photo. From what I have read, they are attracted to our warmth, as it appears in their brains as an image similar to dead trees that have been warmed by the sun. They feed on dead trees. I had one start to gnaw on my neck a few summers ago. G-D that hurt!
I stopped at a gas station in Watson Lake a couple of years ago and there was a beetle like that on the pump. This old-time local guy told me to be careful cause those pine beetles will crawl up under your shirt and bite you. I wasn't sure if he was pulling my leg or not, but apparently not.

I was stuck, I mean stuck real good, in this hammock I was trying out. It had a weird center of gravity, and I think later it was a devious plot by REI to kill me so I'd quit returning things.

I didn't have my phone handy, but I did have my computer, and I posted for help here on BCP. Art replied, saying he was going to contact someone in the area like @gnwatts to come rescue me. I was very grateful, knowing I wouldn't be one of those cases they write about in weird ways to die. Art even offered to drive over to Colorado himself if need be. It was a very generous offer, and it made me relax, and this made the hammock flip over. I was saved.

So never underestimate what a simple post on BCP can do to help your fellow human or whatever we are. (Lately, I'm not sure, but that's a different topic.)

I returned the hammock and now use a cot, like my hero @Udink

I think I remember that.

A long-horned beetle. Nice photo. From what I have read, they are attracted to our warmth, as it appears in their brains as an image similar to dead trees that have been warmed by the sun. They feed on dead trees. We can hear them chewing on the wood pile in our yard. I had one start to gnaw on my neck a few summers ago. G-D that hurt!

Great report @scatman . I love Pebble Creek valley. Surprised you did not see any bears in there, especially with your particular abilities with such. Great way to celebrate Katie's birthday.

I had my wife look up the beetle when we got home. I've seen them a number of times in Yellowstone, I just didn't know what they were called.

I was kind of surprised too about not seeing a bear. It broke a three trip streak of seeing a Grizzly in the backcountry for me. :( As we made our way up the Bliss Pass Trail, we began to see quite a bit of bear sign just below the pass, and up on the pass itself. But down in the drainage itself, we didn't see anything. I thought for sure Katie and I would see some sign on our hike to Wolverine Peak, but there wasn't any. I couldn't believe bear were not feeding on all of the strawberries we encountered along they way. They were everywhere. I was stepping on them because there was no way to avoid them in places.

Last summer my brother-in-law and I saw a sow griz with 3 cubs about 1 mile up valley from the 3P5 campsite, we were on the ridge to the NNE of 3P5.

We also had a black bear hike with us for a 1/2 mile or so, starting from the Pebble Creek TH. He was pretty habituated to humans but didn't harass us at all, just hiked along at about 25 yards away. I saw what I assumed was him on another trip last fall along the trail feeding on thimble berries. He did not seem to mind my presence too much.

Last summer my brother-in-law and I saw a sow griz with 3 cubs about 1 mile up valley from the 3P5 campsite, we were on the ridge to the NNE of 3P5.

We also had a black bear hike with us for a 1/2 mile or so, starting from the Pebble Creek TH. He was pretty habituated to humans but didn't harass us at all, just hiked along at about 25 yards away. I saw what I assumed was him on another trip last fall along the trail feeding on thimble berries. He did not seem to mind my presence too much.

No wonder we didn't see any bears, you guys used up the allotment for the drainage! :)

Haha...allotments? You guys are too much! I'm mostly disappointed there isn't a pic of you with one foot in Wyoming and one in Montana. And you had two chances to get such a photo by the looks of it. In all seriousness, great TR! Happy Birthday to Katie. That's my kind of way to celebrate a B-day. Speaking of which....today is my day! Why am I not on a mountain!? Ah yes, that's right, a big fire and smoky air foiled my plans for this week, but a make-up trip down south in a desert creek canyon is happening with a friend this weekend, so all in good time.

Haha...allotments? You guys are too much! I'm mostly disappointed there isn't a pic of you with one foot in Wyoming and one in Montana. And you had two chances to get such a photo by the looks of it. In all seriousness, great TR! Happy Birthday to Katie. That's my kind of way to celebrate a B-day. Speaking of which....today is my day! Why am I not on a mountain!? Ah yes, that's right, a big fire and smoky air foiled my plans for this week, but a make-up trip down south in a desert creek canyon is happening with a friend this weekend, so all in good time.

Happy Birthday @WasatchWill! I hope you're enjoying your special day. I think I'd still choose cooler, smoky mountains over a hot, smoky valley, but I'm glad your heading south to celebrate this weekend.

I'm kicking myself now for not realizing the opportunity to get a shot of my feet, or Katie's, in both states. I knew Wolverine Peak straddled the border, but after looking at CalTopo, I see that we crossed the state line on our way to and from our second campsite, and twice (X2) on our day hike up and onto Bliss Pass and then back. Of course, I wouldn't have known exactly where the line was on the ground during that hike unless I had taken some waypoints.

Katie enjoyed being in Yellowstone for her birthday, but the only downside was that she did have to wait until we returned home to open her gifts.