Peakbagging Reports

toejam

Where do you suggest posting mountain climbing reports? Most of my climbs involve backpacking, so I guess that's were I'll start.

I agree with @toejam maybe there should be a place for peaks. Peakbagging or mountaineering are each different than just straight forward hiking. If you're out hiking and you so happen to tac on a peak while your out is one thing, but if your objective is to summit a mountain the planning, prep, and entire endeavor are all different. I say a place for peaks is needed.

I've gotta disagree. It's like saying we need a breakout section for lakebagging, riverbagging, campsite bagging, or selfie-bagging.
Hiking and Backpacking are the means to get there. Not the destination. So do I always bag a peak when I'm hiking? No. But am I hiking or backpacking when I bag a peak- Yes.

I've gotta disagree. It's like saying we need a breakout section for lakebagging, riverbagging, campsite bagging, or selfie-bagging.
Hiking and Backpacking are the means to get there. Not the destination. So do I always bag a peak when I'm hiking? No. But am I hiking or backpacking when I bag a peak- Yes.

We should have a subsection for mountaineering rather than peakbagging.

I agree that we don't need a million differentiations of all the possibilities for the many things one may accomplish when out hiking or backpacking. Although one does carry a pack and does much hiking, mountaineering is a different beast all together. The preparation, gear, environment, training, etc. are very unique compared to just trekking through the wilderness. Peakbagging on the other hand, in its essence, is not mountaineering. Therefore, we need a place for mountaineering endeavors rather than just peaks.

To illustrate my thinking for the subsection, I'll compare two well known peaks for example, Kings Peak (Utah's High point) and the Grand Teton (Wyoming's 3rd highest point). Both are very prominent geographically and within the backcountry community. Both are the ultimate objective of many trips. King's peak is a strenuous hike of 25 to 32 miles hike (depending on the route starting from Henry's Fork Trailhead), with an elevation gain of 4,100 feet. Most recommend to take two days to summit, due to the difficulty of the terrain. On the summit ridge there is exposure, rock hoping, and a fall is potentially fatal, but there is no special equipment or supplies necessary if one sets out to climb in the summer, or at least if there is minimal snow. The Grand Teton has a strenuous hike with much less milage and over 7,000 feet elevation gain. It is also recommended to take at least two days. Up to the Lower saddle there really is no need for any extra gear other than what one would have on a normal backpacking trip. However, to continue on to the summit one would need climbing gear, a competent leader, some experience rock climbing, and, if snow covered, snow travel gear (e.g. crampons, ice axe, etc). The interesting thing is both can be done in one very long, and exhausting day. That means that both trips could potentially be considered hikes or backpacking treks depending on who does it and the duration of the trip. Notwithstanding, because of the skills, gear, preparation, and planning unique to each, Kings is peakbagging and the Grand Teton is mountaineering.

To summarize, I agree there is no need for a peakbagging subsection but there is a need for mountaineering.

Salud!