PCT Gear Survey

TrailScot

Interesting read is all and reads more like a gear advertisement.

I figured up my normal stuff I take on my trips >>> Big 3 is 7lb 5 oz. Big 4 is 8lbs 4 oz. A full 10 oz LESS than those doing PCT.
I use major brands, but not the brands you see advertised all the time .... and my total was less $$. I do admit my tent is a 2 person not 3 person, my sleeping bag is a WM 20 degree, not a 15 degree, my pad is not insulated.

Interesting read is all and reads more like a gear advertisement.

I figured up my normal stuff I take on my trips >>> Big 3 is 7lb 5 oz. Big 4 is 8lbs 4 oz. A full 10 oz LESS than those doing PCT.
I use major brands, but not the brands you see advertised all the time .... and my total was less $$. I do admit my tent is a 2 person not 3 person, my sleeping bag is a WM 20 degree, not a 15 degree, my pad is not insulated.
Most PCT hikers are first-time long-distance hikers, and very often begin their journeys with very little previous backpacking experience. So I would not see PCT hikers as the experts - in aggregate or individually - on gear for long-distance hiking, much less backpacking in general. If I'd been surveyed following the conclusion of my first long-distance hike, my contributions would have been of the "blind leading the blind" sort. :)

Lol......

After my first long distance, (not counting Scouts in New Mexico with all that good canvas stuff), 97 I think, in the Little Colorado trip ....it was I have got to get lighter stuff, but light wasnt back then. Now its easy.

Most PCT hikers are first-time long-distance hikers, and very often begin their journeys with very little previous backpacking experience. So I would not see PCT hikers as the experts - in aggregate or individually - on gear for long-distance hiking, much less backpacking in general. If I'd been surveyed following the conclusion of my first long-distance hike, my contributions would have been of the "blind leading the blind" sort. :)

One of the things I like about these surveys is that they provide an interesting snapshot of how gear performs 'in the field' by 'real' people over a period of time.

I think many people probably base their gear buying decisions on magazine/online reviews, where the reviewer has a brand new piece of kit to try out for a few days. There really isn't any way for them to know for sure how the gear will perform after several weeks hard use on the trail. So, personally, I do find it interesting to read hiker reports of items that they used for an extended period, in a variety of conditions.

Certainly from the PCT surveys, it appears that Altra footwear and Zpacks shelters come in for some heavy criticism from hikers, which is interesting, given how well reviewed these items are online, and how expensive they are. It possibly backs up the theory that the lightest, most expensive gear is perhaps not the best option for a grueling long-distance hike, where a balance needs to be struck with gear toughness and longevity.

Maybe so ... But where I go my gear is put thru way more than you'd ever find on a long distance trail. I've never put much into reviews .. well maybe when I first started as mentioned, as suggestions, but I go with what works and survives with me ... Some gear I have had going on 10 years,. Other I've replaced with the same brands. Granted it's not out all summer for months at a time but it's not a day or two either. I think reviews tend to steer people to the major brands, because that's who markets out their stuff for review... Not saying that they aren't good. But like you say... May show the most expensive, lightest marketed may not be the best....