Parunweap Canyon / The Barracks (Utah)

Jazerrad

I’m planning a backpack with my son next week, possibly to the Barracks, following EF Virgin River from Mt Carmel Junction to Checkerboard Mesa. I was told there are often log jams and that with the heavy rains this summer that there may be areas where we will get into some waist or chest deep water. I wanted to see if anyone has been there in the past few months and can provide a report on what conditions we might encounter in the canyon. Thanks, Jeff

Bob

Trailmaster
Not last few months .. but ...
Drive in from Mt Carmel as far as you can to the Road end. Hiking that is boring. From there for a while are ATV trails and cow tracks. Didn't have any deep wading years ago but stuff changes yearly. Be sure to go look at the falls past the exit climb, that part of the canyon rivals the narrows. Exit climb is a steep scramble.
One if my favorite canyons.... It's one of the few I've seen rattlesnakes ..

Jazerrad

Thank you, Bob! Yes, I heard about the ATVs and cow patties. We’re planning to try to avoid all that and start as close to the good part as possible. I’m flying into Utah from Oregon next Friday. My 12 year old son is backpacking with me, so what I’m trying to find out is if the recent conditions will require us to bring wet suits or if we can be ok with just neoprene booties.

Bob

Trailmaster
Another way in is Mineral creek on the north or by elephant buttes on the south.

This late in the year canyons get way less sunlight and get cold.....

fossana

My neighbors (on the shorter side) were in there a few times over the past 2 months and didn't report any high water, but I don't think they got all the way into the Barracks since they were doing out-and-backs from the bottom. That being said, we've had a few significant periods of rainfall over the past few weeks (including yesterday), so conditions likely have changed. You might try Bogley after the weekend to see if anyone from the canyoneering crowd has been in there after Fat Man's Misery Canyon.

Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 7.07.31 PM.png

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
OwenM Hiking Horse Canyon? Trip Planning 2
TrailScot Lake Powell and the 'return' of Glen Canyon General Discussion 1
scatman Foothill Follies Part 2 - Black Mountain Ridge and City Creek Canyon Loop - November 11, 2021 Hiking & Camping 6
TrailScot Step Canyon access to Grand Gulch, Cedar Mesa Trip Planning 7
chandlerwest Bryce Canyon - Under The Rim Trail Hiking & Camping 0
RyanP Coyote Gulch to Halls Creek via Steven's Canyon and the Baker Route (car/key swap) Meet Up (Members Only) 5
stretch Grand Canyon Loop: Thunder River -> Tapeats -> Kanab -> Sowats Backpacking 10
B In Government Trail and out Water Canyon Trip Planning 3
balzaccom Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne Backpacking 2
X Poison Spring Canyon / Black Jump Fall 2021 Trip Planning 2
kansas Good map of Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument? Trip Planning 3
balzaccom Buckeye Canyon thunderstorms Backpacking 0
balzaccom Kings Canyon NP Day Hikes Hiking & Camping 3
J Death Valley Natl. Pk: Funeral Pk, Slit Canyon, and Big Dune. Dec 21-22, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
LarryBoy Skin Rash in Canyon Country General Discussion 11
swmalone Bryce Canyon Family Trip Hiking & Camping 10
J Grand Canyon NP Backpack Pt. 2 Deer Cyn explore-->Esplanade-->Indian Hollow Tr. April 18-23, 2021 Backpacking 8
J Grand Canyon NP Backpack Pt. 1 Thunder River Tr.-->Esplanade-->Tapeats-->Deer. April 18-23, 2021 Backpacking 13
Laura V. Four Days in Salt Creek Canyon, April 2021 Backpacking 31
NorthwestWanderer 4 Days Backpacking Capitol Reef : Spring Canyon & Various side canyons Backpacking 5
F Stevens Canyon/southern escalate water availability. Trip Planning 16
Juicifer Labyrinth Canyon in April Questions Trip Planning 2
Nick Running the Grand Canyon in a Tule Raft General Discussion 2
Udink Mount Belknap and Bullion Canyon Hiking & Camping 3
norwegianxplorer Mt Whitney Virtual Hike via Horseshoe Meadows & Mt Langley, Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park Backpacking 1
Laura V. Bears in Salt Creek Canyon, Canyonlands Trip Planning 76
Reef&Ruins Hell'n Moriah Canyon Trip Planning 5
D Grand Canyon Ideas Trip Planning 9
RyanP Maze questions---Sweet Alice Canyon, etc Trip Planning 22
gnwatts Doing fine in Labyrinth Canyon, 9-17-20 On The Water 8
BJett Honeymoon Backpacking - An Intro to Canyon Country Backpacking 14
W 9 Days Solo Escalante Loop in October (water advice) - Stevens Canyon, Baker Route over Waterpocket fold, Halls Narrows to Moody Canyons Trip Planning 11
B Dark Canyon - Young's to Lean-to Traverse Trip Planning 3
M Dark Canyon Complex Water Data Trip Planning 4
Dhuff3243 Constrychnine canyon Trip Planning 0
Outdoors24 Floating Labyrinth Canyon On The Water 7
C Paria Canyon water source - August 2020 Trip Planning 2
balzaccom Fun in Mokelumne Canyon Backpacking 1
norwegianxplorer Big SEKI loop, Sequoia Kings Canyon Backpacking 1
norwegianxplorer Bear Standoff and Bluff Charge in Kings Canyon yesterday June 30th Backpacking 16
zionsky Jan's Canyon Trip Planning 2
Bob Grand Canyon North Rim wildfire Trip Planning 4
NorthwestWanderer 3 days in Idaho/Oregon's Hells Canyon: Pittsburgh Landing to Willow Creek Backpacking 2
R How bad is the quicksand in Paria Canyon? Trip Planning 0
RyanP Coyote Gulch to Halls Creek via Stevens Canyon Trip Planning 28
Perry Afternoon Hike in Redrock Canyon Trip Reports 2
fossana An Allen inspired trip to Dark Canyon Backpacking 32
ram Parker Canyon 2-15-20 Canyoneering 2
seekinglost Desolation Canyon, Utah... Any info? Trip Planning 24
Dhuff3243 North Fork Robbers Roost and Blarney canyon Trip Planning 0