Partners for Twin Lakes, Sawtooths+Titcomb & Cirque of the Towers, Winds

Ross

Hi, I'm hoping to find someone or a small group to join me in August to do 1,2, or 3 of the above 1,2, or 3 day hikes, pictured below, to Twin Lakes via Alice Lake in the Sawtooth Wilderness (15 miles round trip or a loop of about 18 if taking in Toxaway Lake), Titcomb Basin via Island Lake (about 29 miles round trip), and Cirque of the Towers (21 mile round trip), both in Wind River range. I know it's a long way off, but I'm coming from the UK and need to think about accommodation dates & would be a bit reluctant to do them alone as although they are not unvisited areas, there won't be many people, they are quite remote and there's a possibility of bears so it's nice to have a group of at least 3 or 4.

(Another reason is that although I have done many multi-day backpacks they've tended to be on routes and trails that are pretty impossible to get lost e.g. following trails/water/canyon courses, so I've never had to properly test my map-reading, navigation or GPS skills too hard. And although I've been in bear country, I've never had to hang as there have been campsite containers)

They seem to arguably be the highlights of the 2 regions & if you google image there are possibly even more beautiful pictures (great trip reports on here of Titcomb), but these I was able to download.

1. Twin Lakes seen here , Sawtooth Wilderness, via Alice Lake. Pettit Lake trailhead. nearest town Sun City

201108_sawtoothTwinLakesHiking.jpg

2. TITCOMB BASIN. Pinedale nearest town.

windrivertitcomblakes081509.jpg oktitcomb-basin-940x521.jpg

ok2 island lake.jpg

trail goes via ISLAND LAKE

ok3 island lake.jpg

3. CIRQUE OF THE TOWERS hike. Also nearest town Pinedale. I'd probably aim for a day's rest between Titcomb Basin and Cirque of the Towers staying somewhere cheap in Pinedale & spending that day looking around the Tetons, about 70 minutes drive away.

okcirque.jpg 2okcirque-towers-sunrise.jpg View attachment 38208

This link has more on the Sawtooths

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6722507,-109.3133922,13.04z?hl=en View attachment 38208 View attachment 38208

I have all 3 of those trips on my calendar for next summer. Still a bit far away but keep in touch and maybe we can meet up next summer.

All 3 spots are awesome places. My dates don't match up, otherwise I'd consider joining you.

I highly suggest adding Toxaway Lake to your loop. In fact, I would suggest going towards Edith Lake to start, and hike the high route around to Toxaway, then go over to Alice and Twin Lakes. You could easily add a day or 2 to explore the many lakes in the area.

Keep posting updates ........... my summer is full (right Joey) .......... but a short 3 day hike possible.....maybe

Hi Andy & Bob, Thanks for the replies. I have some dates now as I've had to reserve lodgings in Pinedale and Ketchum for my family while I hike, so hopefully you will be able to make 1 or more and work towards them. I was going to hike to Titcomb Basin Aug 21-23, then Cirque of the Towers 25th and 26th, with a day's rest in the Grand Tetons in between (plus a scenic flight if you fancied that at a reduced split cost, $250 total, as I won't have time to see the back on the Teton Crest Trail).
The 2 hikes could be swapped to Cirque on 21st and 22nd, then Titcomb from 24th-26th.

Then I'll rejoin my family to see Yellowstone, and get to Ketchum on the 30th with the plan being to hike the Twin Lakes-Towaxy Lake loop on Aug 31st and Sept 1. If I really had to, if it helps potential partners, I could reverse the whole vacation to go first to Twin Lakes and hike that on Aug 21 and do the Wind River hikes at the end of August, but it would mean a lot of re-arranging of lodgings and plans. Hope you can make it. Any others interested?

Andy or Bob. Still up for any of this. Aug 21 Titcomb (3 dayer), Aug 25 Cirque (2 dayer). Sawtooth Towaxy Aug 31 (2 dayer)

No can do.......everyone is still planned on a WInd River trip Aug 18 thru Aug 27....... Has been cancelled

If you moved the sawtooths trip to the previous week I could go. I'm not interested in the cirque as I was just there, but I can't go on the 31st as I have some prior commitments.

Hi both, thanks for getting back.
Sorry Andy, I can't move it forward as it would then mess up the Winds hikes and all my lodgings are reserved. Plus I should have at least a couple of others going who have said they would go with me on each trip from an Idaho hiking group, but sometimes strangers from these kind of groups can be a bit flaky (not turning up or cancelling late), and there's always a risk someone might have to pull out late for a genuine emergency or injury, so I felt it would be good to have one or two Backcountrypost people too who would maybe be more reliable