Parley's Ridge or Subaru to Jeep - April 25, 2020

scatman

Twenty seven years ago, I hiked across Parley's Ridge. How do I know it was twenty sevens years you might ask? Good question! Well, I know because on my birthday back in 1993 I bought a new Jeep Wrangler, and the Parley's Ridge hike was the first hike I did after the purchase. I drove my new Jeep to the top of Emigration Canyon to begin the trek, and I had my friend pick me up on the west end at the old Cowboy Grub location on Foothill Drive when I was done.

Wind the clocks ahead to this past Saturday, and once I convinced my wife to join me, we set off for a day of adventure and solitude. First, we dropped the Jeep off on the west end at Benchmark Drive, and then we drove our outback to the top of Emigration to start on the east end.

Now the hike is approximately 8.5 miles in length, if you include a ridge walk to the high point of the ridge, which is located on a north-south running sub-ridge that juts out into Emigration Canyon. The hike includes some minor scrambling, some bushwhacking, and a little bit of post-holing at times on the north side of the ridge where there was still snow.

The hike took us eight hours and fifteen minutes to complete, which including two substantial breaks, one on Dale Peak, and the second, on the ridge high point, plus about an hour long lunch on Perkins Peak. Our only wildlife sightings were birds. We observed three vultures, some scrub jays, two Chukars, numerous Spotted Towhees, and while eating lunch, we were fortunate enough to see a Golden Eagle fly past. That was pretty cool! There is supposed to be an elk herd that calls the ridge home, and though we saw plenty of sign, we did not actually see any elk. :(

On the wildflower side of things, the Glacier Lilies were tremendous. They accompanied us all along the ridge, up until we started dropping off on the west side. Just beautiful. Others that we encountered were: Yellow Bells, Manyflower Stickseeds, Spring Beauties, and a few Arrowleaf Balsamroot at the lower elevations.

Well, lets get this show on the road, and see if the old Scatman can do as well as the strapping young lad of 27 years ago. :D

Parleys_Ridge_01.jpg
The Scatman approved route.

00.jpg
The Subaru at the trailhead parking lot. We arrived around 7:45 am with quite a few vehicles already there. How about that Scat shadow?
I'm guessing most were doing the Little Mountain hike, because we only saw a couple of people on our route.

02.jpg
The gateway to adventure! The first part of the hike is a long approach on an old Jeep road that goes to the base of Dale Peak which
can be seen in the distance.

03.jpg
Dale Peak

05.jpg
Some mighty firs along the trail

06.jpg
Grandeur Peak to the southwest. Triangle, or Hobbs Peak can be seen on the far left of the image too.

07.jpg
Making our way along the old Jeep road - the Scat shadow is still present.

08.jpg
Beginning to encounter some scrub oak. I might mention that this hike is much easier before the oak get their leaves.

09.jpg
My picture doesn't do them justice, but the Glacier Lilies were magnificent along the entire route.

10.jpg
The beginning of the steep ascent to the summit of Dale Peak and the top of the ridge

11.jpg
A look to the north towards Grandview and Lookout Peaks, along with housing growth in Emigration Canyon

12.jpg
Started running into Mountain Mahogany and patches of snow on the way up to Dale

13.jpg
Dale Peak just ahead, with the top of Grandeur beyond.

14.jpg
A look down into the western reaches of Emigration Canyon, with the first view of the Salt Lake Valley, also Mount Wire (Beacon
Hill) can be seen along the ridge north of the canyon.

15.jpg
Break time on Dale Peak

16.jpg
The view west from the summit of Dale Peak

17.jpg
Nice view south into the Wasatch with Parley's Canyon below.

18.jpg
Coming off of Dale Peak along the ridgeline

19.jpg
Good view of the north-south running ridge where the high point is located. The little bump to the left of that ridge is Perkins Peak

20.jpg
A good look back at Dale Peak, with Lookout Peak and Little Dell Reservoir in the distance

21.jpg
Making our way up the ridge that the high point is located on. Can you make out all the Glacier Lilies in the scrub oak? Wonderful!

22.jpg
A look down into Perkins Hollow

23.jpg
Perkins Peak - as seen from the north south running ridge.

24.jpg
Some ridge walking to get to the high point

25.jpg
Some minor scrambling along the ridge

26.jpg
A look at the north side of Parley's Ridge along its westward reaches, still snow covered.

27.jpg
Mount Raymond and Gobblers Knob cheering Sheila on.

28.jpg
A look down into Spring Canyon and Jacks Mountain along the lower southern ridge

29.jpg
Trail mix on the high point of our route

30.jpg
Back on the main ridge looking up at Perkins Peak

31.jpg
Sheila, making her way up Perkins Peak

32.jpg
Lunch on Perkins

33.jpg
This ones for you @Miya. Look how creative! I call it "The Reflection of Scat". I outdid myself on this one. :thumbsdown: I only get one, rare,
creative idea a year or so.
:) Yeah, I know what everybody is thinking. More like on the timeline of the seventeen year cicadas! :p

34.jpg
The view to the west (what lies ahead) from Perkins Peak

35.jpg
Making our way off Perkins Peak

36.jpg
A few steep little humps along the ridgeline after Perkins

37.jpg
Some scrambling ahead of us

38.jpg
Tired of the snow yet my dear?

39.jpg
A good look back east of Parley's Ridge, with Dale Peak in the distance and Perkins Peak at the center along the ridge

40.jpg
Looking across Parley's Canyon with Gobblers Knob, Mount Raymond, and Grandeur Peak above

41.jpg
Looking down the western end of Parley's Ridge as it drops to the Salt Lake Valley

42.jpg
Some Arrowleaf Balsamroot towards the end

43.jpg
The 94 Jeep Wrangler raring to go, on Benchmark Drive

44.jpg
Of course, no hike is complete without the celebratory beer when you get home.

The End.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha nice! Very creative indeed. A selfie in the eyes of someone else...magical!
Honestly, going through your report, I was like 'Oh I could do that ridge walk, it looks like a nice safe beginner one!', then the next picture you show 'some ridge walking to get to the high point' and I got scared haha. I would have gotten to that point and thought I need to turn around.
I need to find an experienced ridge walker near me that I can go with. I just don't seem to understand limits, when is it safe and when is it stupid?
Thanks for sharing!

That looks like a great day with your wife, I love the close up photo. Great views everywhere. Now the Jeep photo, is that from a month back or more recent? Not only does the grass look greener than here, but I also see flowering trees and leaves on the trees in your neighborhood. We again woke up to snow this morning :rolleyes:

love it!

I forgot-- have you ever hiked the Neff's Ridge? I only did a little piece one time and it was pretty ugly up there!! gotta get back and finish that sufferfest sometime

Haha nice! Very creative indeed. A selfie in the eyes of someone else...magical!
Honestly, going through your report, I was like 'Oh I could do that ridge walk, it looks like a nice safe beginner one!', then the next picture you show 'some ridge walking to get to the high point' and I got scared haha. I would have gotten to that point and thought I need to turn around.
I need to find an experienced ridge walker near me that I can go with. I just don't seem to understand limits, when is it safe and when is it stupid?
Thanks for sharing!

You'd have no problem completing this hike. That section you referred to is much easier than the image portrays. There is one other spot along the ridge where it is a tougher scramble, but if you are uncomfortable with it, you can drop down into the scrub oak and bushwhack for 30 feet or so until your around it, then work your way back up to the ridge. Problem solved! :)

That looks like a great day with your wife, I love the close up photo. Great views everywhere. Now the Jeep photo, is that from a month back or more recent? Not only does the grass look greener than here, but I also see flowering trees and leaves on the trees in your neighborhood. We again woke up to snow this morning :rolleyes:

The Jeep shot is from the day of the hike. We parked it in a subdivision near the trails end. I took that picture when we got back to the Jeep after coming off the ridge. We then drove it back up the canyon to get the Outback.

love it!

I forgot-- have you ever hiked the Neff's Ridge? I only did a little piece one time and it was pretty ugly up there!! gotta get back and finish that sufferfest sometime

I'm not sure I know of Neff's Ridge. I've done Wildcat Ridge that sits on the south side of Neff's Canyon. It runs between the summit of Mount Olympus all the way to summit of Mount Raymond. Is that what you are referring to? Or is it somewhere else?

WR_01.jpg
My Wildcat Ridge hike back in 2014. This is the section between Mount Olympus and Triangle (Hobbs) Peak

The Jeep shot is from the day of the hike. We parked it in a subdivision near the trails end. I took that picture when we got back to the Jeep after coming off the ridge. We then drove it back up the canyon to get the Outback.

I mixed the dates up, your report says April (I was thinking March),- still you are all way ahead in SLC, nice!

My Wildcat Ridge hike back in 2014. This is the section between Mount Olympus and Triangle (Hobbs) Peak
Ah, I don't think I have wildcat ridge in me, unless maybe I'm unusually strong some year and someone extremely patient leads the hike.

Anyway, sorry, I mean the ridge between Neffs and Millcreek. So start at the Neffs parking and hit the ridge as low as possible (or else tresspass / get landowner permission and start at the true base of the ridge) and then walk up to where the Neffs/Thayne trail crosses, and head down. Shouldn't be too long of a day, though like I said the one time I walked part of this ridge (probably only a half mile or so, I didn't have a ton of time) it was pretty rugged and thrashy. Not really difficult, just kind of a lot going on with trees and talus piles and such. Not sure if that section was at all representative.

Another awesome hike @scatman !! Now ... questions. How do you determine whether or not you’ll be wearing a kilt? How many miles on your Jeep? The Jeep looks like it’s in pretty good condition. There are very few Jeeps of that style/model left around here, and those that are left have been butchered up by their current owners (lifted, huge tires, fenders removed, etc.).
Your 8.5 mile hike was certainly much different than our 8.1 mile hike that we took last week!

Ah, I don't think I have wildcat ridge in me, unless maybe I'm unusually strong some year and someone extremely patient leads the hike.

Anyway, sorry, I mean the ridge between Neffs and Millcreek. So start at the Neffs parking and hit the ridge as low as possible (or else tresspass / get landowner permission and start at the true base of the ridge) and then walk up to where the Neffs/Thayne trail crosses, and head down. Shouldn't be too long of a day, though like I said the one time I walked part of this ridge (probably only a half mile or so, I didn't have a ton of time) it was pretty rugged and thrashy. Not really difficult, just kind of a lot going on with trees and talus piles and such. Not sure if that section was at all representative.

Okay, I'm with you now. I haven't done Neffs Ridge, but I'd be willing to. Are you up for it?

Another awesome hike @scatman !! Now ... questions. How do you determine whether or not you’ll be wearing a kilt? How many miles on your Jeep? The Jeep looks like it’s in pretty good condition. There are very few Jeeps of that style/model left around here, and those that are left have been butchered up by their current owners (lifted, huge tires, fenders removed, etc.).
Your 8.5 mile hike was certainly much different than our 8.1 mile hike that we took last week!

Not only have I done the complete ridge hike once before, but I've approached Dale Peak from the east numerous times, and I've also been to Perkins Peak from the west many times, so I knew the amount of bushwhacking that I'd be doing beforehand. If there is a substantial amount, I probably won't wear the kilt. I was stupid enough to attempt the Millcreek Ridge a few years ago in shorts, and my legs got torn up with all the bushwhacking on that one.

MR_01.jpg

As far as the Jeep goes, it has 191,162 miles on it. I do see some 93, 94 and 95's on the road still around here that haven't been modified.

That ridge is a lot of fun. Though I prefer going down off the ridge to Jacks Peak and heading down to the valley floor from there.

Not only have I done the complete ridge hike once before, but I've approached Dale Peak from the east numerous times, and I've also been to Perkins Peak from the west many times, so I knew the amount of bushwhacking that I'd be doing beforehand. If there is a substantial amount, I probably won't wear the kilt. I was stupid enough to attempt the Millcreek Ridge a few years ago in shorts, and my legs got torn up with all the bushwhacking on that one.

View attachment 88435

As far as the Jeep goes, it has 191,162 miles on it. I do see some 93, 94 and 95's on the road still around here that haven't been modified.

Wow, that definitely looks pretty nasty. I understand your decision making now.

And that’s a lot of miles on your Jeep! Congrats on keeping it in great shape to last as long as it has ... I do miss my Wrangler, especially on sunny, warm days when I could take the top down.

That ridge is a lot of fun. Though I prefer going down off the ridge to Jacks Peak and heading down to the valley floor from there.

So do you just head in and pop out at the Jacks Mountain Trailhead when you do this route?

So do you just head in and pop out at the Jacks Mountain Trailhead when you do this route?
Kinda. I head down the WNW ridge of Jacks and pick up a trail a little lower down, whereupon I end up connecting to the city streets just S of Spring Canyon (there's public access at the end of a little cul de sac). A little more fun than taking that not-so-great trail down to the official TH at the mouth of Carrigan. It also makes for a shorter walk to the Emigration Cyn road, where I hitch back up to my car.

great work. i'll hike this one with you when you do it again in 2047.

great work. i'll hike this one with you when you do it again in 2047.

Consider it a date! :thumbsup: My attire might be overalls by then. I'll almost be 84 if we go at the same time of year. Are you sure you'll be able to make it (not the hike itself, but the date)? :) Gotta run to start my training now, because I know how fast you hike.