Paranuweep - Zion NP

More stuff I found in my files:

Parunuweap:
After leaving Bay Bill Canyon the route winds for 3.75 miles through three distinct sections of narrows, past several excellent CAMPSITES, next to several springs with clear flowing water until it reaches Mineral Gulch (N37° 10' 31", W112° 47' 38"), which enters from the north. Mineral Gulch is easily recognized by the vertical walls surrounding its mouth.
Mineral Gulch is worthy of exploring and contains three immaculate sets of narrows. The first set of narrows are short and usually contain deep pools of water. This opens into a shallow section with several caves to explore. The second set of narrows are beyond the cave section and are more inspiring than the first. The most impressive narrows are the third set, which give the impression of entering a deep, dark cave.
After leaving Mineral Gulch the canyon opens up and provides historic cattle access to the lush river bottom. The cattle route known as the Poverty Trail cross Parunuweap in this section. 2 miles below Mineral Gulch the canyon begins to constrict again and Rock Canyon (N37° 10' 14", W112° 49' 07") joins from the south. Rock Canyon normally provides a reliable flow of water.
It is 2.75 miles from Rock Canyon to Poverty Wash (N37° 10' 37", W112° 50' 45"), which enters from the north. Through this section of canyon the walls grow deep and narrow. Several interesting side canyons beg to be explored. Poverty Wash usually has a trickle of water flowing from its mouth.
From Poverty Wash it is 1.75 miles to where Misery Canyon (N37° 10' 59", W112° 51' 38") joins from the north. This section of canyon is the trickiest with several deep pools of water and the biggest obstacle in the route. The obstacle consists of several large boulders in a constricted section of river. The simplest passage is to just climb down through the falls and swim the short pools of water. To avoid the swim it's possible to climb up on a ledge on the south side of the river and follow it downstream for about 50-feet, than drop through a narrow tunnel behind a huge boulder. The last few CAMPING places in Parunuweap are located within .5 miles below this obstacle.
Misery Canyon is one of the most incredible places on the face of the planet. To explore Misery Canyon you will be required to scramble up a water filled chute into the bowels of the earth. Two people should have no problem climbing up into this canyon by supplying each other a little help. You will encounter a couple of short swims and than find yourself in a magnificent chamber with natural bridges, flowing water, deep pools and a warm sulfur spring.
Parunuweap is closed at the Park Boundary, which is approximately .5 mile downstream from the mouth of Misery Canyon. Many canyoneers slink downstream past this invisible barrier and visit Labyrinth Falls, which are approximately .75 miles below the mouth of Misery Canyon. The section of canyon between Misery Canyon and Labyrinth Falls is some of the deepest and most spectacular narrows in Parunuweap and easily rival those found in it's big brother the Zion Narrows.

More stuff I found in my files:
Parunuweap is closed at the Park Boundary, which is approximately .5 mile downstream from the mouth of Misery Canyon. Many canyoneers slink downstream past this invisible barrier and visit Labyrinth Falls, which are approximately .75 miles below the mouth of Misery Canyon. The section of canyon between Misery Canyon and Labyrinth Falls is some of the deepest and most spectacular narrows in Parunuweap and easily rival those found in it's big brother the Zion Narrows.

Did you use equipment to get to labyrinth? We tried but reached a 15 foot drop off. I couldnt find a way around it and without rope to get down, and without some serious free climbing skills to get back up... @Howells Outdoors you mention ruins and spanish sword please explain :) :)

Everything I've read makes it sound like there's nothing difficult between the boulder jam and Labyrinth. Where about was that obstacle, Matt? It wasn't actually Labyrinth Falls you were stopped by, was it?

It's for getting down the falls. You just walk in the creek till you get there. My 2nd to last pic. There are some bolts above the falls to tie off, but you rap in the water....... not much scenic past the falls really, plus it's "closed" for wildlife protection.....more like make the private land owner happy. I missed the pictos.

Optional Technical Section -To get to Labyrinth Falls it will be necessary to use a rope. Head downstream approximately a half mile from the Powell plaque, bypassing several obstacles including a 12' down climb on the right side of the two-falls watercourse. Once near Labyrinth Falls you will find that the river has cut a narrow slot in the rock where you can carefully traverse the left side on a narrow ledge for 20 yards before arriving at the top of the falls. A rope is needed for this section to aid non-climbers. Once at Labyrinth Falls, it is difficult to look down the entire falls, but is magnificent nonetheless.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/parunuweap-hike.htm

Seldom, yep...the ledge right above the falls had been bolted when I was in there. Getting to where the ledge and falls were wasn't any problem then.

I really want to see them but I will need bo
It's for getting down the falls. You just walk in the creek till you get there. My 2nd to last pic. There are some bolts above the falls to tie off, but you rap in the water....... not much scenic past the falls really, plus it's "closed" for wildlife protection.....more like make the private land owner happy. I missed the pictos.

Past the falls are some of the best ruins in Zion. I have also heard some pretty impressive rock art is found in the same area as the ruins.

Ha that's another reason why they keep it closed below the falls......

Crazy. But really good to know. Sounds like I wouldn't even bother trying for it.

When I was there in 2009 I was stopped by the big set of 10' boulders just upstream from Labyrinth Falls. There was a static rope in place, but I didn't trust it and didn't feel the need to mess with the climb solo. Looked like it could be free climbed -- especially with a spotter. Sure this spot changes from year to year.

BTW -- Tom Jones has a great pic of Labyrinth Falls on his blog. I guess it's a hard shot to capture and his is the best I've ever seen. (Sorry -- no time to track down link right now.)

I think I might be back there in late April. BCP Party in Paranuweep?! (I will enter via Checkerboard or nearby pass and then head upstream.)

- Jamal

Anyone have pics of this obstacle?

If I can swing it this year, it probably won't be until late May or early June. Got a big hike planned through there, Jamal?

Anyone have pics of this obstacle?

If I can swing it this year, it probably won't be until late May or early June. Got a big hike planned through there, Jamal?

I'm starting to cook up plans for a three-week trek though southern Utah in the spring. Details are still TBD based on some external schedule issues.

Re: the obstacle -- I can't believe it, but it seems that I failed to snap a pic from the top looking down. However, this pic is just upstream from the obstacle. Those boulders in the background is the spot where it creates a 10' drop. Based on GPS, I believe Labyrinth Falls is just ahead around that corner in the distance.

AboveLabyrinth.jpg

Wow. I had no idea Labyrinth was anywhere near 200 feet tall. By the photos I'd seen, I would have thought it was just a little thing. Now it sounds more worthwhile to get down there.

reading the info on that site, Powell described the falls as 200' tall. at the same time he also described the canyon as being 2500' deep. i doubt either is accurate.

Ahhh, I get it. Tom was questioning the 200. I thought he was suggesting it. Doesn't look it in that photo either, but if he had said 200, I'd believe him. Oh the distances and heights our trips would be recalled at were it not for crisp, clear color photos and the interwebs. :) So did Powell and his crew actually descend Labyrinth? Like canyoneering with ropes old school style?

must've. it's my understanding their party went all the way through the canyon to a mormon settlement at the other end, though they sent the mules around above. the last photo on the site Jamal linked appears to be print of Powell's report from that trip.

No labrynth falls isn' t 200 feet tall.......maybe 20ft

Here is Fat Man's Misery trip from awhile back. The last stretch to Labyrinth Falls and then the falls themselves start at 6:30. Just for another visual...

H Outdoors.....you go past Labrintyh Falls? I don't remember that much swimming to get to them either. Nice shot looking down falls, my pic is from other side, couldn't get to where you were standing...