Packrafting the Dirty Devil, March 2014

Beautiful.

Very cool! I've been wanting to packraft this river for the past 3 years. More questions to come from me. :)

I was moved by your report. You wrote about many things I can relate to. It seems like so much of my own life has turned differently than I expected - from marriage, to children, my career, to pretty much every back country experience. There have been many surprises and fortunately most have have turned out better than I thought they would. I know its a cliche, but life really is an adventure. Despite the best planning and research things never go as expected. I was glad to see that your experience was better than you expected.

This is a killer trip report, thanks for taking the time to write something so deeply felt. I'll be thinking about this as we explore the lower Escalante this weekend, albeit from a boat based on the waters of that darn reservoir (I refuse to call it a lake). I have mixed feelings about making use of the reservoir as a means to explore places I couldn't otherwise get to.

Please write more! Words to describe how I'm feeling right now after having finished this are failing me, except that I hope you become as widely read as Mr. Abbey. The Southwest needs more like you.

Now I'm off to bookmark your blog……..

Thank you Matt! These things need to be said and these places need to be cherished and protected. I love the devil and am glad you discovered it. Brothers in affection.

Beautiful report, Matt. It's been a wildly conflicting year for me in regard to Glen Canyon. I feel guilty to have begun utilizing it and exhilarated at the same time. I want to experience it like it was, but if I can't do that, I want to experience what I can. I've never floated the Dirty Devil, but I have hiked to the waste lands at the bottoms of the surrounding canyons. I think my trip down Fiftymile last year was the most profound of them all. Silt banks and tamarisk have always been sad sights, but for me, it was walking through the narrows of Fiftymile at low water, one of the most beautiful canyons I've ever experienced, that hurt the most. Thanks for posting.

IMG_3920.jpg

Matt, do you happen to remember what the flow levels were when you ran this?

Matt, do you happen to remember what the flow levels were when you ran this?
Hey Steve - super super late on this for which I apologize! I'm not on the site very often so occasionally I sign on and see a notification I missed from long ago. The flows ranged from 90-110cfs for this trip in particular. Not great but not bad either!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
regehr Dirty Devil Packrafting in March General Discussion 4
K I am hoping to do a 6-8 day packrafting trip on the Dirty Devil in early April. Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
steve Invite Dirty Devil Packrafting/Float Trip April 11 Meet Up (Members Only) 14
BJett Rockcastle River No Shuttle Packrafting - Kentucky On The Water 2
BJett Packrafting the Obed National Wild & Scenic River - Tennessee On The Water 1
BJett Packrafting the Cumberland River Below the Falls - Kentucky On The Water 6
Desertratgal Backpacking/Packrafting Needles and Maze Districts of Canyonlands Trip Planning 3
BJett Amazing Appalachians - Backpacking/Packrafting the AT and Nantahala River Backpacking 5
Desertratgal Packrafting Canyonlands Round 2: Dates? Trip Planning 2
Desertratgal 5 Days Solo Packrafting Canyonlands On The Water 4
Desertratgal Canyonlands Packrafting Rough Draft Trip Planning 18
Desertratgal Beginner Packrafting Western CO Trip Planning 2
Duketogo13 Questions about packrafting the Escalante/Lake Powell in September. Need help! Trip Planning 5
Outdoors24 Willow/Davis Gulch Packrafting Backpacking 6
S Packrafting Escalante - FiftyMile Creek and low water level Lake Powell Trip Planning 8
Mikjik86 Short Video: Backpacking/Packrafting Dark Canyon Wilderness, Utah. April 2019 Backpacking 0
dug Lake Mead Bikepacking/Packrafting Everything Else 5
Mikjik86 Waterproof backpack bag for packrafting? On The Water 6
smscheick Packrafting Willow/Davis/50 mile Backpacking 22
George_Washington_Hayduke Twilight Canyon- Cottonwood Gulch- Llewellyn Gulch- 8 Days Backpacking/Packrafting Backpacking 15
LizardAZ Verde River/Mazatzal Wilderness packrafting On The Water 8
J Escalante Packrafting Backpacking 4
LizardAZ Packrafting Black Canyon On The Water 3
wsp_scott Packrafting the Big South Fork (KY) On The Water 7
J Invite Packrafting the Thorofare area Meet Up (Members Only) 5
George_Washington_Hayduke Packrafting and Bikepacking from the San Rafael River to Muddy Creek On The Water 0
George_Washington_Hayduke Price River (Utah) Packrafting @200cfs From Woodside to Swasey Beach On The Water 4
piper01 Packrafting Escalante, Part 3: Fifty Mile Canyon Backpacking 4
George_Washington_Hayduke Canyonlands Figure 8: Packrafting Loop through the Needles and Maze District Backpacking 3
George_Washington_Hayduke Packrafting Cataract Canyon @17000cfs On The Water 0
Aldaron Packrafting Alaska Trip Planning 35
piper01 Packrafting Escalante, Part 2: Davis to Fifty Mile Backpacking 12
piper01 Packrafting Escalante, Part 1: Willow to Davis Backpacking 10
dug When things don't go just as planned. Bikepacking, backpacking, packrafting Escalante. On The Water 0
Nick Best Packrafting Paddle Gear 8
Parma Canyonlands Packrafting Trip Backpacking 45
steve Invite Last-minute Maze Figure 8 packrafting trip this weekend Meet Up (Members Only) 3
steve 2015 packrafting trips Meet Up (Members Only) 41
steve Planning a packrafting trip to Hole in the Rock Trail - April 10-12 Meet Up (Members Only) 74
Bob Packrafting the Little Colorado River Gorge On The Water 1
BJett Packrafting the Red River Gorge On The Water 11
BJett Packrafting the Rockcastle River On The Water 14
BJett Packrafting Guide - Southern Utah General Discussion 3
Kullaberg63 Packrafting the Colorado River Daily run at 6000 cfs On The Water 2
mattvogt7 Packrafting? Trip Planning 2
Stephanie B Dirty Devil River Impassible at Poison Springs Canyon Off Road 0
RyanP Sawyer Squeeze questions: how to pre-filter, and recommended dirty-water bag? Gear 30
regehr Dirty Devil South Trip Reports 14
Dave Dip in the Dirty On The Water 9
Nick Dirty Devil Miner's Route Trip Planning 0