Packrafting Canyonlands Round 2: Dates?

Desertratgal

Howdy,

I did a packrafting trip at the end of May in Canyonlands and it was an absolute dream! Therefore, this Fall I am planning to return. I have my route down, this time floating the Green, but now I'm sorting through dates. I am in school and work, so I have very few dates that will work. Mid-October and mid/late-November are my options. Mid-October would not be ideal because I would have to miss classes to get the amount of days I truly need to finish the route, but weather-wise I imagine that would be perfect. Mid/late-November I will have 9 days off, so much more ideal and relaxed with timing, but I worry that is too late. I really don't enjoy backpacking with lows below 30, and that seems right about what goes on in late November.

Also curious if Stillwater Canyon is at risk of being too low to float in late Fall.

Any insight from experience in Canyonlands during the Fall is appreciated!

Thanks!

I float Labyrinth and/or Stillwater every year in the fall, and the latest I've been in there was October 22-24, 2020 (Spring Canyon to Mineral Bottom). Temps were perfect then, but I'm not sure how they'd be in late November. For me the temps would likely be manageable, but I don't really know when ice starts to form.

Flow-wise on that trip the Green was 1,550-1,600 cfs at the Mineral Bottom gauge and we had to drag the canoe across sandbars a couple of times. A few weeks later, November 15-30, it ranged from 1,800-2,100 cfs. I'm sure flows those would all be fine in a packraft.

I float Labyrinth and/or Stillwater every year in the fall, and the latest I've been in there was October 22-24, 2020 (Spring Canyon to Mineral Bottom). Temps were perfect then, but I'm not sure how they'd be in late November. For me the temps would likely be manageable, but I don't really know when ice starts to form.

Flow-wise on that trip the Green was 1,550-1,600 cfs at the Mineral Bottom gauge and we had to drag the canoe across sandbars a couple of times. A few weeks later, November 15-30, it ranged from 1,800-2,100 cfs. I'm sure flows those would all be fine in a packraft.
Perfect. This is really helpful info, thank you! I'm thinking I will make mid-October work. Temps look like they'd be perfect! Dragging the packraft through sandbars would not be too bad if need-be.

If November stays warm and dry late like it did last year I may try to swing another trip. Being solo on cold water with minimal gear is not something I like to mess with though.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Desertratgal Backpacking/Packrafting Needles and Maze Districts of Canyonlands Trip Planning 3
Desertratgal 5 Days Solo Packrafting Canyonlands On The Water 4
Desertratgal Canyonlands Packrafting Rough Draft Trip Planning 18
George_Washington_Hayduke Canyonlands Figure 8: Packrafting Loop through the Needles and Maze District Backpacking 3
Parma Canyonlands Packrafting Trip Backpacking 45
BJett Rockcastle River No Shuttle Packrafting - Kentucky On The Water 2
BJett Packrafting the Obed National Wild & Scenic River - Tennessee On The Water 1
BJett Packrafting the Cumberland River Below the Falls - Kentucky On The Water 6
BJett Amazing Appalachians - Backpacking/Packrafting the AT and Nantahala River Backpacking 5
Desertratgal Beginner Packrafting Western CO Trip Planning 2
Duketogo13 Questions about packrafting the Escalante/Lake Powell in September. Need help! Trip Planning 5
Outdoors24 Willow/Davis Gulch Packrafting Backpacking 6
S Packrafting Escalante - FiftyMile Creek and low water level Lake Powell Trip Planning 8
Mikjik86 Short Video: Backpacking/Packrafting Dark Canyon Wilderness, Utah. April 2019 Backpacking 0
regehr Dirty Devil Packrafting in March General Discussion 4
dug Lake Mead Bikepacking/Packrafting Everything Else 5
Mikjik86 Waterproof backpack bag for packrafting? On The Water 6
smscheick Packrafting Willow/Davis/50 mile Backpacking 22
K I am hoping to do a 6-8 day packrafting trip on the Dirty Devil in early April. Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
George_Washington_Hayduke Twilight Canyon- Cottonwood Gulch- Llewellyn Gulch- 8 Days Backpacking/Packrafting Backpacking 15
LizardAZ Verde River/Mazatzal Wilderness packrafting On The Water 8
J Escalante Packrafting Backpacking 4
LizardAZ Packrafting Black Canyon On The Water 3
wsp_scott Packrafting the Big South Fork (KY) On The Water 7
J Invite Packrafting the Thorofare area Meet Up (Members Only) 5
George_Washington_Hayduke Packrafting and Bikepacking from the San Rafael River to Muddy Creek On The Water 0
George_Washington_Hayduke Price River (Utah) Packrafting @200cfs From Woodside to Swasey Beach On The Water 4
piper01 Packrafting Escalante, Part 3: Fifty Mile Canyon Backpacking 4
George_Washington_Hayduke Packrafting Cataract Canyon @17000cfs On The Water 0
Aldaron Packrafting Alaska Trip Planning 35
piper01 Packrafting Escalante, Part 2: Davis to Fifty Mile Backpacking 12
piper01 Packrafting Escalante, Part 1: Willow to Davis Backpacking 10
dug When things don't go just as planned. Bikepacking, backpacking, packrafting Escalante. On The Water 0
Nick Best Packrafting Paddle Gear 8
steve Invite Dirty Devil Packrafting/Float Trip April 11 Meet Up (Members Only) 14
steve Invite Last-minute Maze Figure 8 packrafting trip this weekend Meet Up (Members Only) 3
steve 2015 packrafting trips Meet Up (Members Only) 41
steve Planning a packrafting trip to Hole in the Rock Trail - April 10-12 Meet Up (Members Only) 74
Bob Packrafting the Little Colorado River Gorge On The Water 1
mattvogt7 Packrafting the Dirty Devil, March 2014 On The Water 12
BJett Packrafting the Red River Gorge On The Water 11
BJett Packrafting the Rockcastle River On The Water 14
BJett Packrafting Guide - Southern Utah General Discussion 3
Kullaberg63 Packrafting the Colorado River Daily run at 6000 cfs On The Water 2
mattvogt7 Packrafting? Trip Planning 2
rinats Canyonlands/Needles: Salt Creek to Chesler Park Trip Planning 6
M Canyonlands, and some random routes Trip Planning 7
SeanIsADesertRat Interesting/mysterious patterns Needles District, Canyonlands General Discussion 19
dpnoll Colorado Canyonlands Backpacking 10
TrailScot Canyonlands NP Needles backpacking permit in winter General Discussion 5