Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 9/10

Miya

Because I am able.
Days: 174 - 184
Miles: 2477.9 - 2653
Zero Days: 0

The hitch we got back to trail from Leavenworth was a delight. The couple who picked us up had partially hiked the trail in 2018 and finished in 2019. It was fun to hear their stories and how relatable the stories were. Doesn't matter what year you hiked the trail, if you finished or not, everyone is going to have a scariest storm, best view, worst hotel, craziest hitch tale, etc.

BEFORE I started the trail, I had worried I would go too fast and miss fall colors in WA. Luckily, I dragged my feet enough.

PCT21 237.jpg

Lil itsy bitsy babies

PCT21 241.jpg

That night a mouse chewed several holes through the mesh in my tent, EVEN THOUGH MY DOOR WAS OPEN, because all 8 zippers on my tent had failed a long time ago. He ate my Chex-mix and kept running through my hair in the night. I would stir and feel it brushing through my hair, but I just kept sleeping.

Typical car wash morning. Everything sparkles though! The morning started with rain, but it didn't last more than 2 hours.

PCT21 244.jpg

PCT21 246.jpg

PCT21 249.jpg

This marmot was extremely talkative and handsome.

PCT21 260.jpg

This one was shy. She had 2 babies running around, but I couldn't catch a photo of them.

PCT21 270.jpg

There was just something about this scene that I LOVED and still do. And it wasn't just the fact that I could still see snow.

PCT21 276.jpg

PCT21 282.jpg

PCT21 286.jpg

PCT21 295.jpg

Day 176 - One of my most beautifully memorable days on trail.

2500 marker!

20210912_072736.jpg

Sawyer probably got tired of me saying "Oooooooh, it is like The Land Before Time!" Washington reminded me of our world BEFORE humans. So ancient and stunning.

PCT21 303.jpg

PCT21 307.jpg

A bit of blue sky if you just turned your head right.

PCT21 312.jpg

We dropped down into a rainforest and we lost so much time with me stopping to photograph all the wonderful fungi!

PCT21 318.jpg

PCT21 319.jpg

Broken bridge is better than NO bridge.

20210912_122719.jpg

PCT21 323.jpg

PCT21 325.jpg

PCT21 331.jpg

Largest Chicken of the Forest Mushrooms. This is a photo with my camera zoomed in all the way. Definitely larger than my torso and head.

PCT21 337.jpg

Trees make it happen.

PCT21 340.jpg

PCT21 341.jpg

The sun came out today! We were finally able to dry out our gear.

20210913_111241.jpg

Before we left this stop, I ran off to pee and stepped in someone's barely buried excrement and got it all over my rain pants. I could have gone the whole trip without that happening, but eh, it is a story. Luckily, I would find a place to rinse them off after a few miles.

20210913_141916.jpg

20210913_141721.jpg

Day 178, I passed the 100 mile marker for SOBO hikers and was elated.

"Holy moly, 100 miles to the northern monument! I was going to make it! Grandpa and I were going to make it. It sprinkled lightly." Yeah, my dead grandpa was my mascot and so far, he, magic, or some sort of coincidence ensured it rained on every one of my special days: mile 700, Oregon day, Washington day, 100 miles from the monument.

20210914_154958.jpg

I had been craving Asian food since I left Bend, OR. Of course, my first craving is always Pho and Sushi, but I would have been thrilled with anything, Chinese, Filipino, Korean, Thai, WHATEVER. So when the bus that takes hikers to Stehekin made a pit stop at a bakery that had vegetarian sushi I jumped for joy and bought 3 packs of them!

20210915_100341.jpg

Our last planned resupply until the end! There was no food here, luckily I had had my mom send me a resupply box with food and the dress I started the trail in.

There were a lot of hikers here and everyone was a buzz about a storm that was coming in and the 25 mile climb leaving Stehekin. Come on guys, aren't we over climbs by now?! Most of them planned to hike from here and get off trail at another town during the storm, or they were taking the ferry to a town where they could get a hitch to Hart's Pass and touch the border before the snow started.

20210915_101131.jpg

We were not going to zero here, just spend the night. My Nyloflume liner had holes in it, so I attempted to make a garbage bag skirt for it, in hopes that my quilt wouldn't keep getting wet.

20210915_162520.jpg

Because of the rain and cold we had all been experiencing, a fellow thru hiker decided to quit the trail. I couldn't believe it. We were soooooo close to the end.

Of course, Sawyer and mine's Plan A was to hike the ~115 miles in 5-6 days and enjoy the snowstorm. We had 2 bail out points just in case.

The day after leaving Stehekin, Sawyer and I underestimated the rain and cold and would only hike 7.8 miles before making camp. Probably because we hadn't eaten and we spent too long on an exposed ridge without layering properly. As soon as we got off the ridge we knew we were both in the first stage of hypothermia. So we decided to play it safe and set up camp and get a fresh start the next day.

2600 marker, we would camp right around the next curve.

Resized_IMG_1633_219859876653785.jpg

The rain never stopped so we had to construct a levy to keep from a flooded tent.

20210918_074612.jpg

The morning started with heavy rain again. By noon, there was sunshine!

PCT21 363.jpg

PCT21 368.jpg

PCT21 371.jpg

Colors!!!!

PCT21 374.jpg

PCT21 377.jpg

Only 35 miles to the monument (and then 30 miles back to try and get a hitch), but no one cares about that.

20210918_162046.jpg

I had a Wishlist for the PCT, you know, rain, windstorm, wildlife, trail magic, and my top thing was going to bed with no snow and then opening my tent and being surrounded by it. Considering the monument was only 1 day away, I had assumed it wasn't actually going to happen. But then...

PCT21 381.jpg

T-shirt bags to try and help keep my feet dry. These would not last half the day, and so I would just keep moving.

20210919_072242.jpg

Little building down there.

PCT21 383.jpg

20210919_075602.jpg

We saw 22 hikers on their way out. Ones who had touched the monument. We clapped and yelled for all of them! They let us know we were the only ones they had seen and would probably have the monument to ourselves because of the snow. They had passed just under 200 hikers on trail during their monument experience due to everyone jumping ahead trying to avoid the storm *forehead slap*. A few of them camped an extra night just to wait for the fair weather hikers to head out so the monument and trail wouldn't be so crowded.

PCT21 387.jpg

20210919_084720.jpg

PCT21 389.jpg

PCT21 390.jpg

PCT21 393.jpg

We dropped down to lower elevation before climbing back up, the snow was not sticking here.

PCT21 394.jpg

Hunters.

PCT21 399.jpg

Grouse.

PCT21 403.jpg

4 people ended up passing us the ENTIRE day. They camped at a beautiful lake, but I didn't want to deal with the condensation and the even colder temps. We set up camp exactly 3.7 miles away from the monument and had it to ourselves!

For some reason, I was enraged after I made camp. I had never been so grumpy on trail haha. Everything was wet and dirty. We had hiked over 26 miles in the snow and I was proud and happy to be so close to the monument, but man, I was in a b**** mood. I ate a Ramen and promptly passed out.

Day 184 - 09.20.2021 - Northern Monument Day!

I woke up with a strange and painful hump on top of my foot. Oh well, nothing stopping me now!

20210920_065816.jpg

Photos BEFORE the border.

PCT21 408.jpg

PCT21 411.jpg

PCT21 412.jpg

And now...I leave you here. To be continued...

Last edited:
Days: 174 - 184
Miles: 2477.9 - 2653
Zero Days: 0

The hitch we got back to trail from Leavenworth was a delight. The couple who picked us up had partially hiked the trail in 2018 and finished in 2019. It was fun to hear their stories and how relatable the stories were. Doesn't matter what year you hiked the trail, if you finished or not, everyone is going to have a scariest storm, best view, worst hotel, craziest hitch tale, etc.

BEFORE I started the trail, I had worried I would go too fast and miss fall colors in WA. Luckily, I dragged my feet enough.

View attachment 114893

Lil itsy bitsy babies

View attachment 114894

That night a mouse chewed several holes through the mesh in my tent, EVEN THOUGH MY DOOR WAS OPEN, because all 8 zippers on my tent had failed a long time ago. He ate my Chex-mix and kept running through my hair in the night. I would stir and feel it brushing through my hair, but I just kept sleeping.

Typical car wash morning. Everything sparkles though! The morning started with rain, but it didn't last more than 2 hours.

View attachment 114895

View attachment 114896

View attachment 114897

This marmot was extremely talkative and handsome.

View attachment 114898

This one was shy. She had 2 babies running around, but I couldn't catch a photo of them.

View attachment 114899

There was just something about this scene that I LOVED and still do. And it wasn't just the fact that I could still see snow.

View attachment 114900

View attachment 114902

View attachment 114903

Day 176 - One of my most beautifully memorable days on trail.

2500 marker!

View attachment 114931

Sawyer probably got tired of me saying "Oooooooh, it is like The Land Before Time!" Washington reminded me of our world BEFORE humans. So ancient and stunning.

View attachment 114904

View attachment 114905

A bit of blue sky if you just turned your head right.

View attachment 114906

We dropped down into a rainforest and we lost so much time with me stopping to photograph all the wonderful fungi!

View attachment 114907

View attachment 114908

Broken bridge is better than NO bridge.

View attachment 114932

View attachment 114909

View attachment 114910

View attachment 114911

Largest Chicken of the Forest Mushrooms. This is a photo with my camera zoomed in all the way. Definitely larger than my torso and head.

View attachment 114912

Trees make it happen.

View attachment 114913

View attachment 114914

The sun came out today! We were finally able to dry out our gear.

View attachment 114933

Before we left this stop, I ran off to pee and stepped in someone's barely buried excrement and got it all over my rain pants. I could have gone the whole trip without that happening, but eh, it is a story. Luckily, I would find a place to rinse them off after a few miles.

View attachment 114935

View attachment 114934

Day 178, I passed the 100 mile marker for SOBO hikers and was elated.

"Holy moly, 100 miles to the northern monument! I was going to make it! Grandpa and I were going to make it. It sprinkled lightly." Yeah, my dead grandpa was my mascot and so far, he, magic, or some sort of coincidence ensured it rained on everyone of my special days: mile 700, Oregon day, Washington day, 100 miles from the monument.

View attachment 114936

I had been craving Asian food since I left Bend, OR. Of course, my first craving is always Pho and Sushi, but I would have been thrilled with anything, Chinese, Filipino, Korean, Thai, WHATEVER. So when the bus that takes hikers to Stehekin made a pit stop at a bakery that had vegetarian sushi I jumped for joy and bought 3 packs of them!

View attachment 114937

Our last planned resupply until the end! There was no food here, luckily I had had my mom send me a resupply box with food and the dress I started the trail in.

There were a lot of hikers here and everyone was a buzz about a storm that was coming in and the 25 mile climb leaving Stehekin. Come on guys, aren't we over climbs by now?! Most of them planned to hike from here and get off trail at another town during the storm, or they were taking the ferry to a town where they could get a hitch to Hart's Pass and touch the border before the snow started.

View attachment 114938

We were not going to zero here, just spend the night. My Nyloflume liner had holes in it, so I attempted to make a garbage bag skirt for it, in hopes that my quilt wouldn't keep getting wet.

View attachment 114939

Because of the rain and cold we had all been experiencing, a fellow thru hiker decided to quit the trail. I couldn't believe it. We were soooooo close to the end.

Of course, Sawyer and mine's Plan A was to hike the ~115 miles in 5-6 days and enjoy the snowstorm. We had 2 bail out points just in case.

The day after leaving Stehekin, Sawyer and I underestimated the rain and cold and would only hike 7.8 miles before making camp. Probably because we hadn't eaten and we spent too long on an exposed ridge without layering properly. As soon as we got off the ridge we knew we were both in the first stage of hypothermia. So we decided to play it safe and set up camp and get a fresh start the next day.

2600 marker, we would camp right around the next curve.

View attachment 114946

The rain never stopped so we had to construct a levy to keep from a flooded tent.

View attachment 114940

The morning started with heavy rain again. By noon, there was sunshine!

View attachment 114915

View attachment 114916

View attachment 114917

Colors!!!!

View attachment 114918

View attachment 114947

Only 35 miles to the monument (and then 30 miles back to try and get a hitch), but no one cares about that.

View attachment 114941

I had a Wishlist for the PCT, you know, rain, windstorm, wildlife, trail magic, and my top thing was going to bed with no snow and then opening my tent and being surrounded by it. Considering the monument was only 1 day away, I had assumed it wasn't actually going to happen. But then...

View attachment 114919

T-shirt bags to try and help keep my feet dry. These would not last half the day, and so I would just keep moving.

View attachment 114942

Little building down there.

View attachment 114920

View attachment 114944

We saw 22 hikers on their way out. Ones who had touched the monument. We clapped and yelled for all of them! They let us know we were the only ones they had seen and would probably have the monument to ourselves because of the snow. They had passed just under 200 hikers on trail during their monument experience due to everyone jumping ahead trying to avoid the storm *forehead slap*. A few of them camped an extra night just to wait for the fair weather hikers to head out so the monument and trail wouldn't be so crowded.

View attachment 114921

View attachment 114945

View attachment 114922

View attachment 114923

View attachment 114924

We dropped down to lower elevation before climbing back up, the snow was not sticking here.

View attachment 114925

Hunters.

View attachment 114926

Grouse.

View attachment 114927

4 people ended up passing us the ENTIRE day. They camped at a beautiful lake, but I didn't want to deal with the condensation and the even colder temps. We set up camp exactly 3.7 miles away from the monument and had it to ourselves!

For some reason, I was enraged after I made camp. I had never been so grumpy on trail haha. Everything was wet and dirty. We had hiked over 26 miles in the snow and I was proud and happy to be so close to the monument, but man, I was in a b**** mood. I ate a Ramen and promptly passed out.

Day 184 - 09.20.2021 - Northern Monument Day!

I woke up with a strange and painful hump on top of my foot. Oh well, nothing stopping me now!

View attachment 114948

Photos BEFORE the border.

View attachment 114928

View attachment 114929

View attachment 114930

And now...I leave you here.
Nice job.......

Wow. I don’t know if I would have been able to handle those wet conditions day after day. I am awed by your perseverance through it all.

And the to leave us with a cliffhanger??? What?!?! So cruel … :)

Your pictures are stunning, so many great ones! The biggest Chicken of the Woods I ever saw was also in Washington; here's part of itIMG_4157.JPG:

Wow. I don’t know if I would have been able to handle those wet conditions day after day. I am awed by your perseverance through it all.

And the to leave us with a cliffhanger??? What?!?! So cruel … :)

Yeah, as much as I love the rain, it is definitely a morale killer day after day. My negative reaction surprised me, but everything is always wet and dirty...and you wake up handling stuff that is wet and dirty... and you get hot in your rain gear *Wah Wah Wah*. Then the wind always blows relentlessly when you try to take a break and then you are a popsicle! Haha

Sorry, the cliffhanger had to happen because I go back and hike the fire closure miles right after I tag the monument.

Your pictures are stunning, so many great ones! The biggest Chicken of the Woods I ever saw was also in Washington; here's part of it

Ooooh I love that! If only I had known those were edible. I could have added them to my nightly Ramen!

Wow, I love the snow!!
So different this year, it's still hot and dry and no rain at all since July.

Like you, I love taking images of mushrooms, I always have to stop when I see some.
Great shots and beautiful scenery you encountered there, I just explored some part of it on my own and love it.

Wow, I love the snow!!
So different this year, it's still hot and dry and no rain at all since July.

Like you, I love taking images of mushrooms, I always have to stop when I see some.
Great shots and beautiful scenery you encountered there, I just explored some part of it on my own and love it.
Oh! No snow yet? Wow, now I feel extra lucky that I got it last year!

Yeah, I never like to hike the same trail twice, but I would happily hike the entire Washington portion again in every season! :)

Oh! No snow yet? Wow, now I feel extra lucky that I got it last year!

Yeah, I never like to hike the same trail twice, but I would happily hike the entire Washington portion again in every season! :)
we would be happy even to get a bit of rain right now. So many stupid wildfires burning all over the place.
I was totally prepared to have snow in the Enchantments, but it actually was in the 70s and super warm all the time.

And people here often hike sections of the PCT like section J, which goes from I-90 to Highway 2. Super pretty scenery, and I even looked at it for a bit. But since I cannot sleep at all when I go backpacking, it would be a tough one for me. After five days without sleep, I'm just bone tired and grumpy. One of the reasons I usually do only overnight trips, even though the Washington sections of the PCT are tempting

we would be happy even to get a bit of rain right now. So many stupid wildfires burning all over the place.
I was totally prepared to have snow in the Enchantments, but it actually was in the 70s and super warm all the time.

And people here often hike sections of the PCT like section J, which goes from I-90 to Highway 2. Super pretty scenery, and I even looked at it for a bit. But since I cannot sleep at all when I go backpacking, it would be a tough one for me. After five days without sleep, I'm just bone tired and grumpy. One of the reasons I usually do only overnight trips, even though the Washington sections of the PCT are tempting
I wonder if your body ever gives in and you sleep? I know Sawyer sleeps awful everyday in the backcountry too though. Maybe it is just something that happens to some people

Come on guys, aren't we over climbs by now?!

Well, yes if you have hiked the entire PCT to get here then another climb is not a big deal. But, based on what you have wrote, I'm pretty sure that the complainers had probably been jumping around a bit on the trail :)

It is really cool to wake up with snow like that, everything looks pretty and clean

Well, yes if you have hiked the entire PCT to get here then another climb is not a big deal. But, based on what you have wrote, I'm pretty sure that the complainers had probably been jumping around a bit on the trail :)

It is really cool to wake up with snow like that, everything looks pretty and clean

Yeah, I guess you are probably right. Any excuse to skip part of the trail and make their hike shorter? It ended up being a super gradual 25 ascent. Quite leisurely haha

Clean and magical!!!

I wonder if your body ever gives in and you sleep? I know Sawyer sleeps awful everyday in the backcountry too though. Maybe it is just something that happens to some people

As @regehr said : intense!
Amazing photos @Miya , can’t wait to see them on a big screen when we return home.

Did Sawyer sleep on the thin Thermorest foam pad every night? Ouch..!
The type of pad and even the width make a big difference. We changed it up and we are sleeping so much better!

What was your own sleep system on the PCT?

Did Sawyer sleep on the thin Thermorest foam pad every night? Ouch..!
The type of pad and even the width make a big difference. We changed it up and we are sleeping so much better!

What was your own sleep system on the PCT?

He ALWAYS used the foam pad, but I think he started with the Neoair Xlite - women's, which he would place on top of the foam pad, but it popped or he never used it?

Before the Sierra's I had my mom send my XTherm and told him he HAD to use it. So he put that on top of his foam pad.

Then at some point he used the torso UberLite on top of his foam pad. But basically, 90% of the time he just used his foam pad and it wasn't worth it to him to blow up his pad haha

My sleep system for the entirety of the trail was:
Pad: XLite Women's
Liner: Western Mountaineering Silk Tioga Mummy
Quilt: Enlightened Equipment Enigma 10F - 950FP - Short

And, I also carried my 1000FP puffy, down pants, and down booties for ~2200 miles out of the ~2700.

Adorable marmot shots @Miya. I can see why you wanted to be in Washington with the fall colors - just beautiful.

I've enjoyed the write-up of your trek so much, I might be a little sad when I finish part 10. :) Great job.