Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 5/10

Miya

Because I am able.
Days: 91 - 111
Miles: 1044.1 - 1376.1
Zero Days: 2

Northern CA had sooooooooooooooooooo many flowers. I tried to only pick my favorites to show, but there are MORE. Northern CA was my 2nd favorite part of the PCT, but nearly tied with 1st, which is Washington.

Usually when I saw these flowers on the PCT and other hikes, the petals are a soft purple, but they were BLUE in a very short section of the trail.

PCT21 00 37.jpg

PCT21 00 40.jpg

It was always fun to round a corner and BAM something random and different!

PCT21 00 47.jpg

PCT21 00 49.jpg

I was finally ready for some trail magic. I finally felt like I had earned it! And it was the best ever! I consumed lots of other food and drinks that were not captured.

20210619_103350.jpg

PCT21 00 52.jpg

I took break next to these caterpillars and assumed it was clumps of animal hair or weird moss? It wasn't until I moved in real close that I realized what they were.

PCT21 00 58.jpg

Lupine is always nice to see.

PCT21 00 82.jpg

We thought we were done with snow crossings. Sorry NightRyder!

PCT21 00 84.jpg

PCT21 00 86.jpg

PCT21 00 94.jpg

PCT21 00 98.jpg

I think this reminds me of Bowser's shell? But the colors are wrong. Let me know if there is another cartoon character with a cray cray shell but is white!

PCT21 00 100.jpg

PCT21 00 101.jpg

Found more Pho in Tahoe. Even with how hot it was, I craved soup.

20210621_183154.jpg

Leaving Lake Tahoe put us right back around mile 1100. I am actually being consumed by mosquitos in this photo. NightRyder had his picture taken and ran off. Tom Sawyer is the one braving the bloodsuckers. It was a "One shot and run" type of moment.

20210622_192515.jpg

PCT21 00 109.jpg

PCT21 00 118.jpg

Carrying out food like this for meals really helped make the days go by. It made me look forward to my breaks or the next day, when I could have another one!

20210623_113632.jpg

PCT21 00 127.jpg

PCT21 00 135.jpg

PCT21 00 137.jpg

PCT21 00 144.jpg

PCT21 00 146.jpg

In the Sierras and Northern CA, it became pretty normal to have an afternoon storm everyday. Luckily, this one was not on top of us.

PCT21 00 148.jpg

PCT21 00 149.jpg

PCT21 00 156.jpg

PCT21 00 157.jpg

Blackbird and Jukebox, fellow Purists. We had been leap frogging with this couple for many moons. In fact, I can recall waving at Jukebox on my day 3. She had started March 17th.

PCT21 00 162.jpg

My mom and stepdad would come and pick us up and take us to Reno. We would find a little time to relax amongst the chores and play some games at Circus Circus. This would be my last visit with them until I finished and came back home. My mom really struggled to say goodbye when she dropped us off.

Resized_20210625_184311.jpeg

Only 3 miles from where my folks dropped us off, was a busy rest stop where my friends/coworkers surprised me! It was so good to see them, especially baby Zoey (in the belly) plus they brought us Subway and Vodka!

20210627_143841.jpg
We would only hike a few more miles before making camp in this cabin. The cabin would fill up, and while it was cool to say I slept in a random cabin, I wish I had just slept outside. Too many people for my comfort.

The next morning marks the start of my 5 weeks of diarrhea. The initial 3 weeks were morning, any snack/meal, and before bed. The 4th and 5th week would slow down to just morning and before bed. I no longer had health insurance so I just hoped it wasn't a parasite that could kill me, and I kept walking.

PCT21 2.jpg

PCT21 9.jpg

PCT21 11.jpg

PCT21 26.jpg

Coldest shower on trail was in Sierra City. It was free and public, but it was over a 100 outside and this thing would have you freezing in seconds.

20210629_153234.jpg

There were a lot of hikers in Sierra City. They were all a buzz about the climb out of Sierra City and the heat. At least one group of 16 was going to skip this section and get a hitch to Belden and celebrate the 4th of July there. Obviously, this would not be the way for me.

Getting much closer, but still quite far. Pretty damn determined though.

20210630_182217.jpg

Mile marker 1200 is on the climb out of Sierra City. It actually wasn't difficult. There would be steeper climbs to come.

20210701_073621.jpg

Watched a wildfire in Plumas NF during a snack break.

PCT21 28.jpg

Science.

20210701_102122.jpg

PCT21 37.jpg

This section was an old burn area and it was just hauntingly gorgeous. LOVED.

PCT21 43.jpg

Empty Cicada shell, skin, skeleton?

PCT21 47.jpg

PCT21 53.jpg

PCT21 55.jpg

PCT21 58.jpg

Fly or bee nestled all cozy in this flower.

PCT21 59.jpg

PCT21 62.jpg

PCT21 67.jpg

PCT21 68.jpg

PCT21 75.jpg
Heading down into Belden, Even though it had been so hot and lots of climbing, I was feeling amazing! I split from the boys and hiked 6.7 miles in 2 hours. So far, I had been taking my time, not in a rush. There were a lot of hikers much faster than me and they may have been hiking this fast all along, but I was proud!

PCT21 77.jpg

Leaving Belden is a 6,000 ft ascent in 8 miles. It was 93 degrees by 09:30 and it would stay 103-105 for most of the day. Even more hikers skipped this section. I was a little concerned about the climb and the heat, but I just went real slow and we made sure to stop at any and all water sources.

PCT21 80.jpg

PCT21 82.jpg

PCT21 86.jpg

1300 miles.

20210705_181727.jpg

The next day, after the difficulty of the previous, I was on cloud 9! I couldn't feel more powerful, more fierce, more strong, more of a badass (and any other positive word about my power!). Unfortunately, NightRyder was NOT in a good way. He had been the fastest one the day before, he had always been able to deal with the heat far better than Tom Sawyer and I. It was quite a surprise to us all and we did not think it was heat related.

PCT21 90.jpg

By afternoon, I had been waiting for Tom Sawyer. Once he arrived, we waited over an hour for NightRyder. I understood he wasn't feeling great, but I just wanted to fly! It was always something. Either I was sick, injured, or friends/family were visiting, or it was Tom Sawyer, or then it would be NightRyder. It is actually really difficult to hike with a group if you are an impatient person like me, and a person that is out there trying to prove something. My Tramily always knew I was itchy to just GO. So when NightRyder needed to lay down and rest, I let them know I would keep going.

I expected to meet them in the next resupply or two.

There is like 1% of the trail that is so flat and debris free. I lived for moments like this.

20210706_080334.jpg

Hit the midway point the same afternoon I left my Tramily.

20210706_163616.jpg

RAPTOR!!!! Oh oh oh, thank goodness, it is just a Grouse.

PCT21 99.jpg

PCT21 104.jpg

This would be my first and only lake/creek swim on trail. I am just not one of those people that likes to jump in random bodies of water, even though I love swimming. It needed to be 104 outside, my chores needed to be done/camp set up, and I needed time to dry off before bed. Check. Check. Check.

20210707_170250.jpg

The next day, 07/08, was my highest mileage day, 27.6 miles and it was 106 outside. I could have easily done 30 along the trail, just like so many others did, but I just never found a reason to. Maybe next thru hike I will do a 30 and 35 mile day *shrug*.

I would end up pretty sick and would stay at Old Station Gas station for 2 nights to recover. Tom Sawyer would catch up with me and let me know that NightRyder had quit the trail. We would find out a few days later that he had suffered a heat stroke. People were constantly leaving the trail in EVERY section. We had already said goodbye to so many. I was sad to see NightRyder go, but he was Tom Sawyer's bestfriend BEFORE trail, so it was especially hard on him.

Last edited:
Wonderful pictures again and a nice journey.
And lol, I'm of these people who have to jump and go into every body of water they can find. I guess it sort of satisfies me that way not having the ocean right next to me.
Great to have all these visits with friends and family along the way.

Well, I often hike 20+ miles a day but rarely with a heavy pack. It's usually my day pack or my 18-19 lb overnight pack, which I find is pretty heavy for an overnight pack. But my tripod, camera lenses, and my bottle of wine all have a certain weight, lol

And lol, I'm of these people who have to jump and go into every body of water they can find. I guess it sort of satisfies me that way not having the ocean right next to me.
Great to have all these visits with friends and family along the way.

Well, I often hike 20+ miles a day but rarely with a heavy pack. It's usually my day pack or my 18-19 lb overnight pack, which I find is pretty heavy for an overnight pack. But my tripod, camera lenses, and my bottle of wine all have a certain weight, lol

Yeah, there are a lot of hikers like that! Especially in the Sierras, jump in freezing cold lakes! It definitely is refreshing!

I know, I felt very lucky to have people who love me enough to come visit. Granted we all live in CA so it wasn't too far for them haha

I have always admired your mileage! Before the PCT my biggest day was 17 miles, and it was out of necessity and I could barely walk the next day! Hah I met quite a few hikers who did 30 to 40 miles everyday! Incredible! I think I am capable of pulling something like that off ONCE, haha but I guess I am more of a stolling type of thru hiker.

I have always admired your mileage! Before the PCT my biggest day was 17 miles, and it was out of necessity and I could barely walk the next day! Hah I met quite a few hikers who did 30 to 40 miles everyday! Incredible! I think I am capable of pulling something like that off ONCE, haha but I guess I am more of a stolling type of thru hiker.
It all depends!!
I often like to stroll and stop and take pictures. That's when I only get about 2 miles an hour in.
On other occasions, I try to get about 3-3.5 miles an hour.
But 16-20 miles are pretty normal for me.
I'm still trying to find a hike where I can do about 35-40 miles a day, lol.

Surprisingly, I'm not super sore after these long miles. My Achilles tendons always hurt because of chronic inflammation. But that is part of a condition that affects my tendons. I have the same thing going on in my knee and shoulder and always need to stretch like crazy because I often get tears in my tendons.
Well, it doesn't prevent me from doing all these long and frequent hikes. I only pause for a few days or weeks when it gets too painful, or I get a new tear.
For that reason, I probably wouldn't be able to do through hikes at all because I never know when and for how long it gets worse.
Sort of sucks

It would take me several years to complete the PCT because I’m more of a stroller than a mileage burner. :)
Haha and that is ok! I met several people who were doing it in sections. Actually on my day to the border, I met a guy that had just tagged the border after 10 years of section hiking! It was awesome :)

For that reason, I probably wouldn't be able to do through hikes at all because I never know when and for how long it gets worse.
Sort of sucks
Aww that is a bummer, for sure. But you definitely hike more miles with your injury than most humans! More in a year than most people their whole lives! haha

Just sat down and had a binge read of your first 5 PCT posts. Wow, love your style of writing and use of awesome photos. Very much looking forward to reading the rest.

I am curious through, I have never thought of wearing a dress backpacking - pros/cons?

Just sat down and had a binge read of your first 5 PCT posts. Wow, love your style of writing and use of awesome photos. Very much looking forward to reading the rest.

I am curious through, I have never thought of wearing a dress backpacking - pros/cons?

Aww I had a binge reader! Nice! Glad you enjoyed them :)

I wear dresses outside of hiking most of the time, so after trying pants, shorts, leggings when hiking and being uncomfortable, I was like "Oh hey, why don't I wear a dress like I usually do?"

Since I am just comfortable wearing it normally, I am pretty biased.
Some women worry about chaffing? So that might be a con.
I think it makes it easier and more discreet to go potty. You can even leave your pack on!
I wear lady briefs underneath so I never worry about climbing, crouching, or bending.
I love just having ONE item to put on instead of shirt AND bottoms.
It is nice to put my base layer on or take it off without having to remove a pair of pants or shorts first.

I heard a lot of girls just buy their hiking dresses at thrift stores, but I tend to like sleeves, pockets, and not too short. Ladyhike.com has my favorite selection.

Really like the flower photos and the couple with the flowers and moths are great. I especially like the head on shot of the moth, I am usually trying to get their wings and would never have thought of that great angle.

100 degrees is pretty brutal hiking weather, I'd be in every puddle I passed :)

Really like the flower photos and the couple with the flowers and moths are great. I especially like the head on shot of the moth, I am usually trying to get their wings and would never have thought of that great angle.

100 degrees is pretty brutal hiking weather, I'd be in every puddle I passed :)
Thanks so much! Yeah, that moth was in a stare down with me, so thought I would just go with it haha

Uuugh it is insane! My hottest day is in the next report and if you had told me I would be able to hike 20-27 mile days in over 100 degrees I would have thought you were crazy. It is very difficult, but you really do get acclimated when you are on trail so long! :)

Uuugh it is insane! My hottest day is in the next report and if you had told me I would be able to hike 20-27 mile days in over 100 degrees I would have thought you were crazy. It is very difficult, but you really do get acclimated when you are on trail so long! :)
Wow! I can barely hike at all when it's just 82 outside. I cannot tolerate the heat at all and always get heat-related illnesses. It's so bad.
That's why I barely hike at all during the summer.
Can't wait to read about your suffer fest in 100+ degrees soon

Wow! I can barely hike at all when it's just 82 outside. I cannot tolerate the heat at all and always get heat-related illnesses. It's so bad.
That's why I barely hike at all during the summer.
Can't wait to read about your suffer fest in 100+ degrees soon

Yeah, "hiking season" is the worst season for hiking haha. I prefer the cold temperatures too!

Aww I had a binge reader! Nice! Glad you enjoyed them :)

I wear dresses outside of hiking most of the time, so after trying pants, shorts, leggings when hiking and being uncomfortable, I was like "Oh hey, why don't I wear a dress like I usually do?"

Since I am just comfortable wearing it normally, I am pretty biased.
Some women worry about chaffing? So that might be a con.
I think it makes it easier and more discreet to go potty. You can even leave your pack on!
I wear lady briefs underneath so I never worry about climbing, crouching, or bending.
I love just having ONE item to put on instead of shirt AND bottoms.
It is nice to put my base layer on or take it off without having to remove a pair of pants or shorts first.

I heard a lot of girls just buy their hiking dresses at thrift stores, but I tend to like sleeves, pockets, and not too short. Ladyhike.com has my favorite selection.

I can't believe that you didn't at least contemplate a kilt! :D

I'm playing catch up with your reports @Miya . Each installment pulls the reader closer into the experience with you. I love how you stop to appreciate even the smallest of details along the way -- you have a great eye for taking photographs.

I'm looking forward to following you to the end. Thank you again for taking the time to write up each installment!