Osprey Kestrel 38 vs Stratos 36

Jackalope

I'm looking at a new daypack/overnight pack. I currently use a Camelback Rim Runner which I think is a 22L its to small for me now.( I got it over 10 years ago). I'm looking at the Osprey Kestrel 38 or the Stratos 36. I've read a couple post talking about each one but nothing comparing the two. I'm hoping someone has experience with both, and Could help me out.

I mostly just day hike into lakes to fish nothing to crazy. Maybe down the line I might do a overnight trip or two night trip.
I'm a big feller at 6'2" 300 lbs, and want the pack to fit.

If I missed something let me know. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.rei.com/product/864677/osprey-stratos-36-pack
http://www.rei.com/product/828433/osprey-kestrel-38-pack
Just found the links for REI hopefully I can find a better price somewhere else. I'm hoping to at least try the packs on if i'm able to find them at a store together.

Amazon has the 36 for more than $30 less. The 38 at Amazon was the same as REI. I don't think you can go wrong with
an Osprey pack - assuming they fit.

I have the stratos 34 and it works for me. It just depends on what you are doing and your weight vs comfort lv. But on pricing I've tend to use backcountry.com because they will price match and they are based in Utah

I have the stratos 34 and it works for me. It just depends on what you are doing and your weight vs comfort lv. But on pricing I've tend to use backcountry.com because they will price match and they are based in Utah

I see backcountry has the Kestrel for $119.

I have the Kestrel 48 - great pack, I really like it. Comfortable, adjustable, seemingly endless pockets and compartments. A great all-round pack for multi day trips I think...

I think I'm liking the Kestrel. Now I'm debating if I should get the 38L or 48L. Also got to try on a Osprey Talon 44L my other concern is the waist belt doesn't fit.

I used the Kestrel 38 for a couple years at least. Good pack. I switched to the Stratos 36 and I like it a lot more. The suspensions is the key difference. With the kestrel you get a sweatier back and if your pack has something weird back there it can dig into your back. With the airspeed suspension on the Stratos, it all just floats away and there is lots of air flow. I wore my Stratos for the last 3 days straight and it was wonderful as usual.

I'm hoping to still find a store that has both so I can try them on at the same time. I do really like the venting the Stratos has.

I'm hoping to still find a store that has both so I can try them on at the same time.

Wise choice.

We looked at those two exact packs two weeks ago in store after my girlfriend's old Stratos 35, a panel loader blew out yet another seam after we had Osprey do their warranty repair for the same problem in another are of the old pack. It is probably around 10 years old.

She wanted a drawstring, top loader for her new pack. With weight in it, the Stratos 36 frame stuck her down low and felt uncomfortable (though a lot of folks love them) but the Kestral 38 felt very comfortable to her and that is the one she ended up with after walking around the store for about an hour with it on.

So I got a chance to try on the Stratos & Kestrel. I'm hooked on getting a pack with the airspeed suspension. I packed them both with 20 lbs. I could feel all the weights pushing against my back with the Kestrel, but didn't feel a thing with the Stratos.

So now I need to decide if I should get the Stratos 36 or go bigger with a Stratos 50 or Atmos 50. I don't want a huge pack just to carry fishing gear, jacket, water, lunch for a day hike. But also in a couple years not have a pack big enough for a backpack trip for a night or two. I'm new to backpacking so I don't have any gear so mostly right now I'll use the pack as a daypack then on scout camp.

I use the Stratos 36 most of the time and the Atmos 50 if I need a bit more room. Usually for 2-4 day trips without crazy weather the Stratos does the job though. I agree, the Airspeed suspension is awesome. If you want one that will do everything, go with the Atmos. If you don't mind spending a little more money, having both is great.

36L is definitely big enough for 1 or 2 nights. 50L is wayyy to big for a day pack imo. If you get the 36L which could double as both a day and weekend pack, you may realize that you want a smaller day pack eventually.

Last edited:
I ended up ordering the Stratos 50. I went with the 50 instead of the 36 since the weight difference was only 4oz, and then I would have more room if I needed it.

Now I need to find a deal on boots.