On to Riomaggiore

gnwatts

Part 2 of our hike along the Cinque Terre trail.

I0000VGsLvNHWNeI.jpg

Above, the trail as it it exits Corniglia, on our way to Manarola, a little over a mile away.

I0000DFO8ne6wmgU.jpg

I00006tWWEPmyd4s.jpg

Manarola

I0000qPCscp_fXQk.jpg

I0000n8FwkmLoKIY.jpg

I0000o57zA4uzHK8.jpg

I0000sQZajV.aXT8.jpg

Looking back towards Manarola:

I0000lUNY_AV8WW0.jpg

I0000TgsZJcNTFOM.jpg

The trail enters an arched roof structure built to keep rocks from bashing your brains in, it also has served (since the 1940's) a place to inscribe your pledge of eternal love on the wall called the Via del Amore. The train is in the tunnel below:

I0000Yi8tKqb7SIQ.jpg

I00009L2C4FfM9UY.jpg

I0000sbuGa7zAZa8.jpg

I0000azuP6c6IbD8.jpg

I0000hh0zzg5UKT8.jpg

Riomaggiore

I0000wJ4kPumBC4A.jpg

This place was a lot busier, a crowded bar scene, and some space on the water to watch the sun set.

I0000ekmLCzAdhBY.jpg

I0000J4amgaahYd8.jpg

We had dinner, and hopped on the train back to Vernazza. Next time we are going to explore the more uninhabited areas of the Park, it's a big place.
We spent the next 2 days exploring Vernazza, relaxing and enjoying the sea.
A note on my camera. I used a 7.5 mp Panasonic DMC-L1 (this trip occurred in 2007) with a 14-50 Leica kit lens. All of the shots were hand held, or balanced on a fence post.
It's interesting some of the similarities to our desert southwest, from building technologies to age of the structures. While some of these towns predate the Romans, most were built around 1000AD or before give or take a century, built in cliffs or on promontories to aid in defensive abilities. Instead of marauding tribes they had to deal with pirates. The difference of course is that these towns are living, breathing places still.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Wild! Don't let Audra see this or I might have to start figuring out how to pay for a trip to Italy!
Heck my wife didn't have to see, I did. Now I want to go to Italy.

As you can see I am really behind in my post/viewing. You're killing me here Greg. Beautiful

Nice photos

A couple of years ago my wife and I went to Florence. She mentioned hiking in the area and something about 5 cities. She did not describe it very well because I wasn't interested. Now, I'm really disappointed, that looks to be a beautiful area.

Thanks for the comments.
Fun to look at these again.

Back