Olympic Pen. - Kalaloch CG, Third Beach & Roosevelt Beach

Hello again everyone,

Last weekend my wife and I went over to the Olympic Peninsula during our little January heat wave to enjoy the great weather. Saturday night we camped at the Kalaloch CG along the coast where we had a fun night star gazing. The CG despite the shutdown is still open and functioning but the toilets are closed (we were just overnighting it so it wasn't an issue). The next day we went over to La Push to hike to Third Beach and Strawberry Falls. Followed by watching the sunset at Roosevelt Beach.

DUFS0Tu.jpg

Stargazing with a campfire at Kalaloch CG.

v6E0E0c.jpg

r4NWw0P.jpg

Morning light filling the forest near Third Beach, La Push with an almost spring time air. Many super deep breathes were taken. Can't wait for spring! It just didn't quite sound like spring though with the absence of song birds.
VlnBTJp.jpg

Third Beach stream crossing. But before we got to this point we had to negotiate a landslide that ate the trail, thankfully someone roped a slope to make the passing a lot easier. The stream can be avoided by just walking through 1 inch of it as it disperses into the ocean at lowtide, old fashion trudge through it or hopping over driftwood.
qLZzCC8.jpg

PNW driftwood.
hc0Ycy8.jpg

Strawberry Falls. Unfortunately lowtide was ~6ft so it wasn't even close to being low enough to get to the falls. iirc it needs to be around ~12ft which is pretty rare near La Push but not unheard of north near Ozette.

Next we headed out to Roosevelt beach to kick it and watch the sunset.
IKGKF9K.jpg

Roosevelt beach and the only people on it.
DGeLXwj.jpg

Sand Cliffs
cWh4qSs.jpg

sunsetting - almost looks like I photoshopped my truck into this shot.
aO0ax9m.jpg

A18M3h8.jpg

Roosevelt beach is one of many beaches in WA where you can drive onto. Out of the ones I've visited it is by far the best. Though not as big as many of the others, it is a lot LONELIER. We loved it. It also didn't have a seagull-fly-near-you infestation from people feeding them like many other beaches do.

10/10 would camp with great january weather again.

That just made my day - loved it! What a wonderful week-end. It's nice that someone left a rope, so you could get by the slide.
We once heard a giant costal redwood fall in northern California- that was very loud.
Hope you get more winter mini heat waves like that. :)

Awesome. I can't wait to get back up there.

Also, Nebo approves of your video...
View attachment 74310
Haha that's awesome. cool cat

That just made my day - loved it! What a wonderful week-end. It's nice that someone left a rope, so you could get by the slide.
We once heard a giant costal redwood fall in northern California- that was very loud.
Hope you get more winter mini heat waves like that. :)

That's crazy. Did you feel a thud at all or was it only within ear shot?

Haha that's awesome. cool cat

That's crazy. Did you feel a thud at all or was it only within ear shot?

In Jedediah Smith Redwood SP after a hike into the "Grove of Titans" - we only heard a giant loud boom, but it was not far away. It was clearly a big redwood coming down. All conversion stopped between 4 people, we looked at each other and went whoa.....! When one of those Redwoods goes down and it falls over a trail, then you sometimes have a huge wall in front of you on the trail and the trees are a few hundred feet long. It's not like you can just step over them or climb over them easily. It's pretty messy to get around, sometimes they brake and redwood is scattered all over. Luckily it doesn't happen too often and fresh new redwood growth starts sprouting off the sides of the fallen redwood. But it takes a long time to get so big!