Old buildings/Ghost Towns

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

blueeyes

ephemeral excursionist
Trip Reports
Thread starter #1
I looked for a bit and didn't see a thread for this. I love old buildings. Especially falling down old barns.

This building was built 108 years ago as a lodge for IOOF. It stands in Jackson MT a town with 36 people. It sat empty for many years and town wanted to tear it down. Current owners bought it and turned it into a hotel/hostel. With it being so close the the CDT it sees a lot of activity in the summer. Cute little place with fun history.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Vegan.Hiker

I'd hike that
Trip Reports
A now torn down building at La Sal Junction between Moab and Monticello. I loved this old guy. Maybe a gas station?

I thought this looked familiar. and had to think for a second. I stopped to check this out when I saw it driving from Moab to SLC. Took a quick pic that didn't come out nearly as expressive and moody as yours. You don't see stuff like this out east.

station.JPG

blueeyes

ephemeral excursionist
Trip Reports
Thread starter #9
Okay on my way home today after I soaked in Elkhorn Hot Springs I stopped by Bannack State park in Montana. Cool old ghost town. It was the first Capital of the Montana Territory.

Perry

Formerly Cuberant
Trip Reports
Okay on my way home today after I soaked in Elkhorn Hot Springs I stopped by Bannack State park in Montana. Cool old ghost town. It was the first Capital of the Montana Territory.

Love Bannack!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

blueeyes

ephemeral excursionist
Trip Reports
Thread starter #11
Love Bannock!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would say if you are driving up I-15 in Montana and have some time to spare detour on 278 to check this little gem out.

Trip Reports
It turns out the basement of this building was flooded, ~4' or so of water. I found this out as the stairwell leading down to it collapsed under me as I paused to let my eyes adjust and think about whether or not to continue. Be careful out there.

j-002-2.jpg

blueeyes

ephemeral excursionist
Trip Reports
Thread starter #15
It turns out the basement of this building was flooded, ~4' or so of water. I found this out as the stairwell leading down to it collapsed under me as I paused to let my eyes adjust and think about whether or not to continue. Be careful out there.

View attachment 62214
Oh I was nervous in two out of the three upstairs rooms in the houses. Stepped lightly especially on the stairs.

Trip Reports

I was bummed the last time I was there because they locked up the Masonic Lodge where you couldn't walk through it anymore. Not sure if that's all the time or just on my last 2 visits.

Gotta love a town that hanged it's crooked sheriff!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

blueeyes

ephemeral excursionist
Trip Reports
Thread starter #17
I was bummed the last time I was there because they locked up the Masonic Lodge where you couldn't walk through it anymore. Not sure if that's all the time or just on my last 2 visits.

Gotta love a town that hanged it's crooked sheriff!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
With it being winter hours the Visitors Center wasn't open. And I was sad I couldn't walk through and get a better look at some of the buildings that were locked.

MikeM

Trip Reports
There was some pretty major spring flooding on Grasshopper Creek a few years ago, which flooded most of the town of Bannack. I think they've since permanently closed quite a few of those buildings due to the flood damage. The last time I was there, I think 3 or 4 years ago, the visitor's center was open but we still were only able to get into a few buildings. Hotel Mead is my favorite, though, as well as the Saloon that was next door.

MikeM

Trip Reports
This is a cool idea for a thread. I do like finding old structures when out in the backcountry.

This old miner's cabin was at Ajax Lake, just below the Montana/Idaho border in the Beaverhead Mountains:

IMG_1944[1].JPG

Not much left of this one at the base of Mount Haggin in the Anaconda Range:

IMG_8839.JPG