North Lake - South Lake questions

Chuck the Mauler

Formally known as "kcwins"
A couple of questions for you Sierra fans.

1. It seems most folks do the North Lake - South Lake loop starting at North Lake. Is there an advantage to going this way vs. clockwise starting at South Lake?

2. Shuttles. I normally hitch hike when in Glacier or the GYE, but not sure this is the best option with the group I'll be with. Is there reasonable shuttles there? Any suggestions?

The advantage to starting at North Lake is two-fold:

1. You deal with Lamarck Col immediately, so if there are any problems, you find out early in the trip. Later in the season this is less of an issue, but early in the season, you don't want to hike the whole loop and then find out that Lamarck is icy, steep and dangerous.

2. You also get into the good stuff early: Darwin Bench is usually a highlight of this trip, and it's just the other side of Lamarck Col...

As for hitch-hiking, South Lake trailhead gets a lot of traffic, so chances are you can convince someone to take you back down the hill. Convincing them to take you back to North Lake may take a bit more persuasion, but you have plenty of time to talk them into it!

The advantage to starting at North Lake is two-fold:

1. You deal with Lamarck Col immediately, so if there are any problems, you find out early in the trip. Later in the season this is less of an issue, but early in the season, you don't want to hike the whole loop and then find out that Lamarck is icy, steep and dangerous.

2. You also get into the good stuff early: Darwin Bench is usually a highlight of this trip, and it's just the other side of Lamarck Col...

As for hitch-hiking, South Lake trailhead gets a lot of traffic, so chances are you can convince someone to take you back down the hill. Convincing them to take you back to North Lake may take a bit more persuasion, but you have plenty of time to talk them into it!

Doesn't the standard North Lake South Lake loop go over Piute Pass vs Lamarck Col? And mostly stay on the JMT, i.e not see Darwin Bench?

I've looked into the doing this loop and just connecting North and South Lakes via George Lake and some road walking, but I hate the idea of paying for a shuttle and hoping for a hitch seems potentially problematic.

As far as North to South or vice versa, I seem to recall reading that going south on the JMT over Muir Pass is "easier". Basically a long hike though Evolution Valley gaining ~4000 feet over 16ish miles. Heading north, you gain ~3000 feet over 7ish miles.

I found this shuttle with 2019 prices https://www.eastsidesierrashuttle.com/

You might also ask at http://www.highsierratopix.com/

This is the cheaper public shuttle option, but you'd have to walk the few miles (~2) from 168 to the Piute Pass trailhead (or vice versa). It only runs twice a day.

I doubt you've have problems hitching a ride during daylight hours. I've given through-hikers rides and been offered rides. If the timing works out, to increase your chances you could hitch at the start of your hike instead of after days of not showering. :)

I personally think Evolution Basin is the most scenic part of that route (and more so than Darwin Bench).

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
Chuck the Mauler Sierra North Lake / South Lake "loop" questions Trip Planning 10
KevinBoyer South Lake to North Lake Sierra Nevada Trip Planning 4
klank South Lake to North Lake - Eastern Sierras Backpacking 9
klank Invite South Lake -> North Lake loop - Sierras Meet Up (Members Only) 0
kwc Round Lake, north central Adirondacks, in the Round Lake Wilderness On The Water 2
RyanP North Fork Bull Lake Creek Trip Planning 35
U Favorite sites in Glacier in North Fork, Lake McDonald or Cole/Nyack? Looking at mid july Trip Planning 2
J Lake Mead Natl Recreation Area North Shore scramble fun. Nov. 28-30, 2019 Hiking & Camping 5
Titans Pharaoh Lake Wilderness - Brilliant Fall Foliage, Pond and Lake Reflections- Adirondacks, North Eastern US Hiking & Camping 20
msteudel Boulder Mountain North Slope UT: Donkey Res. to Lost Lake? Trip Planning 1
Jimmy Baker Lake, Lake Diablo, North Cascades, Olympics Family Adventure Hiking & Camping 8
jar155 North Erickson Lake, Uinta Mountains (off trail approach) Backpacking 9
WasatchWill UHT - Day 4: North Star Lake to WFBF + Wilson Peak Backpacking 3
WasatchWill UHT - Day 3: Painter Basin to North Star Lake Backpacking 8
CaptnKidd North End of Lake Powell and Southern Tip of Capitol Reef Hiking & Camping 11
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, Lady of the Lake/North Meadow Creek Backpacking 4
Christian Lake Powell: Anasazi, Lehi Bridges, North Fork Forgotten Canyon, etc On The Water 2
Utsbeme North Erickson Lake, Uinta Mountains Backpacking 7
Nick North Lake Powell On The Water 19
Thomas Rasmuson North Erickson Lake Backpacking 4
J Pacific Creek or North Buffalo Fork? Teton Wilderness, Thorofare ,etc. Trip Planning 10
kwc Wandering about In Theodore Roosevelt NP (north unit) Hiking & Camping 5
scatman North Ridge of City Creek Canyon - February 4, 2023 Hiking & Camping 17
Udink North of Arches Hiking & Camping 6
Janice The Wave - and SO MUCH MORE! (Coyote Buttes North, South, White Pocket, Buckskin, Condors, Bighorns...) - Part 1 Hiking & Camping 14
scatman North Pitchstone Trail, Headwaters of Ouzel Creek, Bechler River and Mr. Bubbles(?) - Yellowstone National Park - September 13, 2021 Backpacking 36
K North To Alaska - The Aleutians and More Everything Else 3
OwenM Anyone here familiar with North Cascades NP? Trip Planning 9
Bob Morris North Inlet Trail Trip Planning 3
scatman North Summit, Mount Olympus - July 3, 2021 Hiking & Camping 12
BJett Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness Area. North Carolina. Backpacking 0
BackpackingtheSierras Republic Pass Trail North Absaroka into Yellowstone Cache Creek and Lamar River Trip Planning 1
NorthwestWanderer North Cascades NP : Dee Dee Lakes & the Mcallister Ledge Backpacking 0
NorthwestWanderer North Cascades - Cutthroat/Granite/snowy lakes passes Backpacking 3
scatman North Summit, Mount Olympus - October 17, 2020 Hiking & Camping 16
Bob Grand Canyon North Rim wildfire Trip Planning 4
J North Cascades National Park Black and Corteo Peaks Traverse Aug 21-23, 2007 Retro Backpacking 3
U Glacier North Circle Loop Mid July - Looking for an alternative back-up plan for a 3-4 nighter Trip Planning 0
Mikjik86 FULL Video Part 2 Backpacking Glacier National Park "North Circle Route" Backpacking 0
Dhuff3243 North Fork Robbers Roost and Blarney canyon Trip Planning 0
Mikjik86 Backpacking Glacier National Park (Part 2 Preview) "North Circle Route" Montana, August 2019 Backpacking 2
Mikjik86 Backpacking Glacier National Park - North Circle Route Part 1 Preview Video. Backpacking 1
Yvonne Kolob Terrace exploration: from Hop Valley to North Gate Peaks, May 2019 Hiking & Camping 7
BJett Linville Gorge Wilderness Area - North Carolina Backpacking 18
Janice Opportunity to provide input on policies for Coyote Buttes North ("The Wave") and nearby areas General Discussion 27
TimeOutside Searching for a 5-ish day trek within 5 to 6 hours of North Dallas Trip Planning 3
DrNed Shift in Magnetic North General Discussion 4
McKee80 Glacier NP, part 2. North Fork, Sept 2018 Backpacking 11
regehr Mill B North Fork Hiking & Camping 6