North Fork Bull Lake Creek

The country around Downs is fairly rough.... Lots of boulders depending on your route up to the divide
I'm counting on it. ;)

We're planning to go by Crescent Lake and then work our way up NE from there - before heading south. Will probably require some adjustments though.

Last edited:
I'd suggest going up to the pass between crescent and mile long then across.. we did a trip up and across to dinwoody but started at Torrey.

I'd suggest going up to the pass between crescent and mile long then across.. we did a trip up and across to dinwoody but started at Torrey.
Thanks for the tip. That's roughly the spot we're targeting to hit the Divide.

If you stay low.....as in Faler to Daphne to Rocking Horse to Kevin to Baker to Iceberg then over Grasshopper....scenery is outstanding and rugged...... we used spikes on grasshopper and there were extreme suncupping and some crevasses to watch for....

You've gotten some good input already - @b.stark's route looks pretty fun.

As far as the most straightforward routes to the north fork, I think it has to be via either Indian Pass from Elkhart or Blaurock Pass from Glacier - Indian Pass being the easier of the two options. Turning it into a loop - especially a 6 day loop - is the challenge, because your alternate exits within a "short" distance all present a higher degree of challenge:
  • Bonney Pass - it's not too bad, but you do need some comfort level w/ glacier crossings for Dinwoody.
  • Alpine Lakes Basin and/or Bloody Hell/Brown Cliffs are both rough scrambles, plus they might push the 6 day limit - though that varies by person.
  • Almost anything else would push the 6 day limit for most people.
Personally, my guess would be that a loop from Elkhart over Indian/Blaurock/Bonney would be doable for you - but I have no way of knowing for sure. One suggestion might be to do Indian and go up Blaurock and have an opportunity there to decide whether to backtrack over Indian or proceed over Bonney, depending on how you feel and what conditions "on the ground" have looked like.

I've never used anything more than microspikes in the Winds, so crampons are probably overkill, but all my longer trips have been in August/September. For Knifepoint Glacier most of the hiking season you don't really need spikes.

In regards to bears, I think an Ursack is perfect. It's definitely my go-to.

When are you planning on making the trip? Maybe I'll see you out there - I'm planning a loop that includes this area in August. (We're coming in via the Divide from Green River Lakes TH.)
Here is some divide pics for you>>>>>

P1000555.JPGP1000561.JPGP1000567.JPGP1000577.JPG

This whole thread is giving me the shakes.

There's a lot of territory in here I want to see. I have a dream of a big circle from Green River, over Knapsack, Indian, Blaurock, and back over the divide via Grasshopper. Dry fork is another spot that has recently come to my attention too.

Too many ideas and not enough free time.

This whole thread is giving me the shakes.

There's a lot of territory in here I want to see. I have a dream of a big circle from Green River, over Knapsack, Indian, Blaurock, and back over the divide via Grasshopper. Dry fork is another spot that has recently come to my attention too.

Too many ideas and not enough free time.
That's pretty close to my intended route for this summer. Definitely looking forward to it.

I keep trying to go other places, but the free flights to SLC and incredible routes have sucked me in.
lol....... free to SLC, how so.......

. Me too.

Hello all! New here, but long-time backpacker in the Winds (I grew up in the Riverton area). However, I have never been to the north fork of bull lake creek- its actually the only fork I haven't been to. I am going this year, and was wondering if anyone knew which (if any?) lakes in Shargrila might have fish, and if so, if you know the type. Thanks, and I will be sure to report back here once I am back out.

Roger

Haven't seen any reports for those lakes other than Little and Big Milky (rainbow). For lakes off main river you might want to call Rich Osthoff. He stays updated on the Winds and wrote the book on it! Another good source is Lander G&F. They survey BLC every so often.

Haven't seen any reports for those lakes other than Little and Big Milky (rainbow). For lakes off main river you might want to call Rich Osthoff. He stays updated on the Winds and wrote the book on it! Another good source is Lander G&F. They survey BLC every so often.
Thank you for the reply. I have fished the Milky lakes and done well on small to medium rainbows- those are beautiful lakes! I got Rich's book in 2004 and poured over it- came in handy on several occasions. My brother has also spoken with him in the past, but I'm not sure how much he gets out to the Winds these days, and a lot can change in the decades since that book was published (I have found that myself with different fish and sizes at lakes he discusses or alludes to in the book). The G&F suggestion is a good one as well- ill check in w/them.

Cheers,
Roger

Rich stays in constant touch with anglers fishing the Winds. When I spoke with him 2 yrs ago he had reports from several areas just a few weeks old.

Good Luck!! Watch out for the griz in NFBLC.

Rich stays in constant touch with anglers fishing the Winds. When I spoke with him 2 yrs ago he had reports from several areas just a few weeks old.

Good Luck!! Watch out for the griz in NFBLC.
That is a damn good point! I appreciate the suggestion and will give it a shot! Regarding the griz, I am well aware that this area is known as one of the highest density grizzly areas in the Winds. Each person has their own bear spray and we plan to be as careful as we can (all food in bear canisters and no food in the tents, eat and cook well away from the tents as well). I was able to contact a person that said at least two of the lakes in the area have fish (rainbows I believe) so looking forward to that at least in addition to the incredible scenery.

Roger