North Cascades National Park Black and Corteo Peaks Traverse Aug 21-23, 2007 Retro

John Morrow

Another retro trip report killing hours self distancing in the time of Covid. Classic North Cascades National Park backpack and peak scrambles of Black Peak 8970' and Corteo Peak 8090' with Larry, back in the day.

Aug 21: We began the trip in the tail in of a rainy cycle, counting on forecasted clearing overnight. My conscience feels the need to leave some details out, however the trip begins at Rainy Pass on the North Cascades Highway. The crest of Black Peak to Corteo Peak, along the traverse, is also the national park boundary. We made our way on a user path past a well known lake to camp at another higher lake. Fond memories of a fabulous trip with a dear friend.

Starting in last of rain
by John Morrow, on Flickr

rainbow...a good sign

lifting ceiling

camp evening

Aug 22: Started the day with clearing skies overhead and a fantastic undercast below that would later burn off. Took the standard South Route of Black Peak 8970', once attaining to saddle and long ridge with Corteo. South Route actually finishes traversing under the summit block, on east ledges, to finish on an aesthetic NE Ridge (complete NE Buttress a notable technical climb).

starting up

south saddle of Black Peak

scrambling begins

East ledge

Perfect scrambling

camp below

happily photographing

After a grand break of vistas from the summit, I left Larry back at the saddle for the longish traverse to Corteo Peak 8080'. After the traverse, sometimes on crest sometimes to the south side, I crossed the west basin to reach the long and fun Class 3/4 Southwest Ridge scramble of Corteo. In the picture below cross the basin at the base of the rising rightward snow ramp and turn left up the sw ridge (right skyline rising to the summit).

start of traverse to Corteo

Last of traverse to Corteo

On SW Ridge of Corteo

Long aesthetic scramble

Goode and Logan

Back at Black Peak

self port. on summit

Descending SW Ridge

Back to camp, view east at Cascade Crest

Aug 23: Nothing left to do but enjoy a nice sunrise and increasing light, then pack up and head back out.

Final morning

heading out

almost back to trail

Such a beautiful trip in an area I manage to get to far too infrequently. No Southern Utah trip this Spring for me. Perhaps this summer is time to make new memories in the mountains closer to home!

More pictures here fill in the gaps of the trip story along with some fine scenery:

Lots of info freely available on the webs give away all the details. My conscience is clear.

Last edited:
That looks like really great scrambling on solid rock. Awesome!

Great images. That area is so nice.

I traversed Black some time ago as a day trip from the highway. I think we used ropes and gear and found plenty of choss. Awesome day in the mountains.

Reactions: ram
Back