Noob from the flat

Sam H.

Hello all, newbie from KS checking in. Looking to gain insight and information about back country hiking/camping in Yellowstone. I'm looking to take my girlfriend hiking this summer and would like to stay 3 or so nights hiking between camps in Yellowstone. Have never done anything like this (on this terrain and scale). Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Sam

Welcome @Sam H. ! What month are you planning on for your Yellowstone trip?

Well my girlfriend is in vet school so she's done the second week of may and will have to be back by the second week of August. So to answer your question I was hoping to do it within that time frame. Which leads me to another question- What are the busiest times? I'm imagining its the time period I mentioned we could go, haha. But my ideal back country trip would be to not see another hiker, so is it common to run into a bunch of people on the trail and camp sites? Also what type of gear would you recommend? What time of year do you think is this best to go?
Sorry I'm full of questions haha but I want to be fully prepared. I greatly appreciate any info and insight you can give.

@Sam H. - Well, the busiest time in the Park is your time frame. On the more popular hikes in the Park you will most likely see some people along the way. As far as campsites go, you will have those to yourself. There are only two campsites in the Park that allow for two parties at the same time.

Your essential gear would include a backpack, sleeping bag, tent, rain gear and food. Beyond that it is really up to you. Just remember that weather can change quickly in Yellowstone. In your time frame there will be mosquitoes to deal with, probably less as you get into the August time frame.

For a first timer, I would recommend Heart Lake. You have an option of hiking into Heart Lake and setting up a base camp where you can climb Mount Sheridan one day then on the next day take the loop around the lake as a long day hike. Or you could pick up camp each night and do the loop around the lake if a base camp isn't what you are looking for. You won't be alone at the lake due to the popularity of this trip but you will get to see some thermal features, a beautiful backcountry lake, a reasonable chance of seeing wildlife, and you'll have spectacular views from the top of Mount Sheridan. The Heart Lake Trail does not open until July 1st due to bear management policies.

Last edited:
@scatman Thanks a million for the suggestion and information. All of it will be put to good use when planning our trip. Heart Lake sounds amazing. Are there any other trails less traveled you'd recommend so we can have other plans to fall back on? Or any trails that are must do for purpose of seeing amazing features? THanks again!

@Sam H. - Just depends on what you want to see. If you like waterfalls then the Bechler River Trail is the one to backpack. If you want solitude, then backpack into Wapiti Lake. Stay there for a couple nights and explore the Hot Springs Basin Group (off-trail along Shallow Creek from Wapiti Lake). If you want "truly wild and remote" then head back into the Thorofare which is located south of Yellowstone Lake (this would require more than three or four nights though).

Welcome.....where in KS......grew up in Overland Park outside KC

@scatman thanks again for all your information. I'll be using it to plan our trip.

@Bob Manhattan until my girlfriend finishes veterinary school but originally from Andale, KS. Northwest of Wichita. Overland Park, I know it! My parents currently live in Blue Springs, MO --the other side of KC. Cheers!