NOOB from Colorado

muir_mountain

Wilderness Seeker
Hi, my name is Gabe, and I hail from Boulder, CO. I've lived here for 6 years, and before that, I lived in the South (Alabama).
Moving to Colorado changed my life, and I've been hooked on the trails right from the beginning. I've been on pretty much every trail and foothills peak in the Boulder area, have climbed six 14er's (looking to add more), and most enjoy backpacking in the high alpine mountains.

As much as I love Colorado, my heart is really drawn to the mountains of Wyoming. They are so much more beautiful and wild than the mountains here in CO. I was turned on to them by a backpacking trip to the Cirque of the Towers 3 years ago, as well as a family trip to Yellowstone in my youth. Honestly, most of my spare time is spent researching the trips I'll be going on this summer. I'm addicted to looking at maps and guidebooks; I have quite a collection now. :)

It's an obsession that I'm proud of, and it seems like BackcountryPost is a great community to share that passion with!

What's up Gabe. I haven't been on here for long but I am from Erie, CO. Glad to see some more Colorado folks enjoying the board. I too spend all my time researching a looking through info and planning that next trip. Maybe we could get up sometime and get outside once the blizzards stop. Glad to have you on the post!

What's up Gabe. I haven't been on here for long but I am from Erie, CO. Glad to see some more Colorado folks enjoying the board. I too spend all my time researching a looking through info and planning that next trip. Maybe we could get up sometime and get outside once the blizzards stop. Glad to have you on the post!
I'd love to! I'll be doing some training hikes soon in the foothills, and I'd love to have some company on them.

What backpacking trips were you looking at? I'm always interesting in seeing what else is out there.

Welcome Gabe. Another CO transplant here. I haven't been to Wyoming yet but I've seen at least a couple of places up there that are near the top of my bucket list.

Welcome Gabe. Another CO transplant here. I haven't been to Wyoming yet but I've seen at least a couple of places up there that are near the top of my bucket list.
Thanks! Definitely check out the Wind River Range and the Teton Crest Trail. You'll never look at mountains the same way again.

Welcome aboard! I think you'll find that many here share your obsession, and that's what makes BCP great. Looking forward to your Wyoming trip reports.

Welcome aboard! I think you'll find that many here share your obsession, and that's what makes BCP great. Looking forward to your Wyoming trip reports.
I just did one earlier today! Thanks!

My favorite places on earth are here in Wyoming, but there are some in Colorado's Sangres that are way up there. I loved living in southern Colorado for almost 30 years.

I'm in Jackson and spend a lot of time near Dubois.

Here's to a beer some day.

My favorite places on earth are here in Wyoming, but there are some in Colorado's Sangres that are way up there. I loved living in southern Colorado for almost 30 years.

I'm in Jackson and spend a lot of time near Dubois.

Here's to a beer some day.
Cheers.
I have yet to visit the Sangres, but I've heard nothing but great things about them. I'm also aware that some places in the Weminuche are spectacular, and I have a backpacking trip set up in the Needle Mountains this summer.
But nothing can really compare to the deep wilderness feel of the mountains in Wyoming. It's where my heart lies.

Welcome!

And while I tend to agree with you generally about Colorado mountains not being much (at least compared to WY, MT, ID, WA, CA, BC/Alberta), there are a few, e.g., Weminuche and the Snowmass /Maroon Bells, that are on par with some of the best backpacking in North America.

Welcome!

And while I tend to agree with you generally about Colorado mountains not being much (at least compared to WY, MT, ID, WA, CA, BC/Alberta), there are a few, e.g., Weminuche and the Snowmass /Maroon Bells, that are on par with some of the best backpacking in North America.
Other than select areas of the San Juans, Sangres de Cristos, and possibly Maroon Bells (albeit very crowded), Colorado simply doesn't compare. And those areas combined provide less beautiful wilderness space than ONE major mountain range in the central Rockies (Wind Rivers, Absarokas, Beartooths...).