Nine Mile Canyon VI: Big, Big Sheep

Udink

Still right here.
On Sunday, February 1st, I met up with Randy (@IntrepidXJ) and Diane in Wellington and we drove to Nine Mile Canyon to revisit some rock art sites and look for new ones. I'd already been to the first place we hiked to, though I noticed a few things I hadn't before.

I'd seen this petroglyph panel before but didn't notice how this one wraps around the corner
IMG_1438.JPG

Sheep and canine
IMG_1443.JPG

My Grand Cherokee and Diane's Edge
IMG_1446.JPG

We drove some more along the Nine Mile road and stopped occasionally whenever Diane spotted something worth stopping for--since Randy and I were both driving, Diane had the luxury of keeping her eyes peeled for rock art. We saw a very interesting Ute petroglyph panel that, according to Tom McCourt in his book The Split Sky, may represent a meeting between Ute Indians and General William Ashley and company in 1825. We saw other random roadside rock art and a few high-up petroglyphs that will be worth returning for to get a closer look.

Death Star
IMG_1447.JPG

Ute petroglyph
IMG_1450.JPG

W.L. Camp 1890
IMG_1452.JPG

Ute petroglyphs
IMG_1455.JPG

A great, high-up petroglyph panel that I need to climb up to someday
IMG_1489.JPG

Badly weathered Fremont figure
IMG_1490.JPG

To end our day we planned to visit some petroglyphs that Alan and I had visited last year. On our way there we unexpectedly saw and stopped to talk to Celia, a Facebook friend of both Randy's and mine that neither of us had previously met in person. We gave her directions to some rock art she was looking for, and in exchange she told us about a site that I hadn't been to. Randy, Diane, and I continued to our final destination and visited some really good bighorn sheep petroglyphs. When Alan and I had found them last year, we were actually looking for some bighorn petroglyphs that were described to Alan as being four feet tall, but we never did find anything fitting that description. I mentioned that to Randy and he was game for searching for the larger sheep. We did some scrambling and climbing up a steep hillside and eventually I spotted what we were after. The petroglyphs were two cliff bands above us, and we had to find a way up one cliff band and then traverse a steep slope below the second set of cliffs until we were directly underneath the panel. The big, big bighorn sheep were indeed several feet tall--easily the largest I've ever seen. We hiked back down to the vehicles and parted ways there. Randy and Diane drove ahead on their way home while I slowly made my way out of the canyon, stopping often to scan the hillsides and ridgelines for ruins.

Randy below the big, big sheep
IMG_1515.JPG

Big, big sheep panel
IMG_1518.JPG

Big, big sheep panel detail
IMG_1520.JPG

Photo Gallery: Nine Mile Canyon VI: Big, Big Sheep

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Udink Nine Mile Canyon XIV: Warrior Ridge Hiking & Camping 4
Udink Nine Mile Canyon XI Hiking & Camping 0
Udink Nine Mile Canyon VII: Awesome! Hiking & Camping 5
IntrepidXJ Nine Mile Canyon Tour Hiking & Camping 4
Udink Nine Mile Canyon V Hiking & Camping 5
Udink Nine Mile Canyon IV Hiking & Camping 2
Udink Nine Mile Canyon, Round Two Hiking & Camping 2
Udink Nine Mile Canyon Hiking & Camping 6
IntrepidXJ Fall in Nine Mile Canyon Hiking & Camping 3
tropicalwanderer YNP : 8/31-9/7 : Heart Lake to Nine Mile via CDT, South Boundary and Thorofare Trip Planning 9
Udink Nine Mile the Third Hiking & Camping 8
Antlerking Nine Mile Photography 2
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Nine / Day Nine + Ten! Backpacking 20
Ron Diel Nine Days in Capitol Reef Hiking & Camping 9
Bob 206 mile water trail Trip Planning 0
seekinglost Introducing the Mojave-Sonoran Trail: A NEW 625-mile Winter Thru-Hiking Route Backpacking 4
seekinglost 1000 Mile Nevada Thru Hike on the Basin and Range Trail Trip Reports 14
IlVagabondo Looking for a ~30 mile loop in the Scapegoat/Bob Trip Planning 2
P 9 Mile Trail, Yellowstone Backpacking 3
Stephanie B Behind the Rocks, Ken's Lake Faux Falls, U-Turn Canyon, Seven Mile Canyon, and Dark Angel Hiking & Camping 4
smscheick Packrafting Willow/Davis/50 mile Backpacking 22
fossana Superstitions 8-25 mile hike suggestions Trip Planning 19
DrNed Recommendation for 35-45 Mile Route in the Uintas Trip Planning 7
Born to Hike Windriver 36 mile loop: Skull Lake, Washakie Pass, South Fork Lakes, Lizard Head Trail, The Cirque, Big Sandy Lake Backpacking 6
Tanasi 50 mile trip suggestions for 1st week of August? Trip Planning 19
seekinglost Pinto Valley Wilderness, NV - 3 Day 25 Mile Loop Hike March 2017 Backpacking 6
Outdoor_Fool Yellowstone - 9 Mile Post to South Entrance Backpacking 1
tomcat32 Late May suggestions for 100ish mile backpacking trip Trip Planning 1
V 50+ mile backpacking loop in Escalante? Trip Planning 5
piper01 Packrafting Escalante, Part 3: Fifty Mile Canyon Backpacking 4
Brian Skibbe 200 mile Yellowstone loop in June. Route advice needed. Trip Planning 15
Dustin Gent fifty mile canyon Trip Planning 6
piper01 Packrafting Escalante, Part 2: Davis to Fifty Mile Backpacking 12
Nick The Emerald Mile General Discussion 50
Scott Chandler A Square 1/2 mile in the Red Cliffs Hiking & Camping 5
klank Documentary: Mile.. Mile & Half Photography 2
mtthwlw 25 mile backpacking trip ideas needed Trip Planning 8
Ben Sawtooths, 68 mile loop, August Backpacking 32
BrendanLB Coyote gulch via 40 mile ridge road Trip Planning 17
John Fowler Entering Forty Mile Gulch General Discussion 7
Scott Chandler Egypt TH south to 25 Mile? Trip Planning 10
steve Mile Mile and a Half General Discussion 31
Blake Merrell HELP! Need ideas for 50 mile routes in the Uintas Trip Planning 14
Nick Forty Mile & Willow Gulch Backpacking 6
Duke Five Mile Gulch Canyoneering 2
J Reflection Canyon Trip Planning 3
fossana Found: prescription glasses near the top of the Flipoff Canyon approach General Discussion 5
Spud Salt Creek Canyon question Trip Planning 11
B Buckskin gulch/Pariah canyon Carpool Trip Planning 0
TractorDoc Paintbrush Canyon / Cascade Canyon Loop -- Grand Teton NP September 11, 2023 Hiking & Camping 9