Album Night Shots and Star Trails

I've finally had the chance, during the current "Holiday Season" , to start to relearn an advanced software program "PixInsight" specifically designed for astrophotography.

These are the results using it to reprocess my last three outing's photos.

39187623381_41fa9f32ae_o.jpg

38312016155_4ee30e1a82_o.jpg

25323184018_b1b0ab63f9_o.jpg

Having only gotten a very basic beginner DSLR (NIKON D3400) at Costco recently with only the stock lenses thus far, I took it down this last weekend to play around with it and see what I could capture with it before looking at getting a wider 2.8 lens and so on.

Here's a couple shots from our camp on Cedar Mesa Sunday night. I only touched up the JPG copies with Google Photos. I did take RAW images too, but haven't sat down to really learn how to use LR/PS to really pull out the power of RAW yet.

upload_2018-1-16_12-9-6.png

Orion:

upload_2018-1-16_12-9-27.png

Looks pretty great for a kit lens and your first time. What did you use to light up the tent in that first shot?

Looks pretty great for a kit lens and your first time. What did you use to light up the tent in that first shot?

Thanks. I believe I had one of those Luci solar powered inflatable lanterns in there at the time. Obviously a bit too intense, so I'll have to go with something a little softer and less luminous, or just throw a shirt over it or something to dampen the glow down.

I had to see if the telescope would add to the superbluebloodmoon experience and while the shot was way too close for that, it did yield a neat shot. Blurry because the moon was low in the sky and the telescope is touchy in terms of focus but whoa! Magnification! I'll have to bust it out on the first half of the moon phase to see how horizon shadows look.

--14.jpg

I took a different approach shooting the lunar eclipse a bit ago. Because it was happening in the middle of the night here in Hawai'i, the moon was way too high in the sky to get anything decent or with a foreground, I just did a landscape shot including the moon.
I just went to my favorite viewpoint where you can see the glow of Halemau'uma'u crater in the distance and was happy to see some low lying fog at the crater bottom of Kilauea Iki crater. This shot was taken during the last quarter of the eclipse but I could barely get the moon in it.

i-5xrNJRQ-XL.jpg

I was finally able to get out to my dark site again, on a night that was supposed to relatively mild, for March. It turned out to be the coldest night that I've been there . The only thing that made it tolerable, was the fact there wasn't a breath of wind.

M81/ M82

40709789482_fa9d6666be_b.jpg

Just a FYI - Glenn Randall has a new book out on taking night-sky photos - it's really good, though a bit pricey ($31 for ebook), the print version is coming out soon.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
P Summer night in Yellowstone Backpacking 4
P Yellowstone, one night by a lake Backpacking 19
B 1-2 Night Sierra Trip Help Trip Planning 3
Rockskipper Night Hiking General Discussion 19
Udink Bag Night Challenge 2022 General Discussion 57
balzaccom Author's night--come join me! General Discussion 2
angeedraper Canyonlands - Needles 2 Night Backpacking (April 29-May1) Backpacking 0
Udink Bag Night Challenge 2021 General Discussion 119
Perry Teal Lake Lollipop Over Night Trip Backpacking 21
WasatchWill A Night at Notch Lake Backpacking 10
andyjaggy Suggestions for 3 day 2 night trip in March or April. Trip Planning 2
M Non-technical 1-2 night backpacking w dogs and kids - Escalante-ish area in April? Trip Planning 14
IntrepidXJ Bag Night Challenge 2020 General Discussion 99
tropicalwanderer What to do: Grizzly in camp at night General Discussion 22
forest dweller Seeking advice for a 5 or 6 night Banff or Jasper backpacking trip for a married couple with different ideas of what awesome is!!! Trip Planning 7
R 6 Day 5 Night hike Kintla Lake to Bowman Lake early August advice Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
WasatchWill A Night on Y Mountain Backpacking 7
Ugly Another Friday Night... White Winter Sports 7
Ugly Friday Night at Norway Flats Backpacking 4
C 3 night at Havasu Falls Part 4 Backpacking 3
Artemus Bag Night Challenge Results Summary General Discussion 0
Artemus Bag Night Challenge 2019 General Discussion 225
WasatchWill A Night on Sand Creek Hiking & Camping 14
DrNed Ideas For 1 Night Backpacking In Utah Desert? Trip Planning 10
Ugly Oh Catherine, A Quick Night, Beautiful Dawn Backpacking 2
Tystevens Dog friendly 1-2 night trip within a couple hours of I70 in Utah or Colorado... Trip Planning 4
WasatchWill A Night on the Wedge Hiking & Camping 12
Ugly Wednesday Night's Red Pine Winter Sports 2
Jackson Bag Night Challenge 2018 General Discussion 454
Wanderlust073 3 or 4 night trip ideas - CO, WY Trip Planning 8
E Paintbrush/Cascade 3 day/2 night trip Trip Planning 8
Perry Suggestions for 3-day/2-night Uinta's Route Trip Planning 10
Stephanie Backpacking suggestions? 1 night Trip Planning 2
WasatchWill A night at Nevada's Valley of Fire State Park Hiking & Camping 7
T Advice Needed for 5 night Backpack route in Southern Utah Trip Planning 2
S Uintas 2 Night trip Trip Planning 9
IntrepidXJ Arches National Park Night Closure Trip Planning 2
Artemus Bag Night Challenge 2017 General Discussion 301
J Newbie - hoping for some advice on one night backpack in utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
N 3 Day 2 Night in Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
J One night backpacking trip with swimming Trip Planning 11
Mike Jones 2-3 NIght Back country Yosemite ideas? Trip Planning 3
Artemus Bag Night Challenge 2016 General Discussion 263
Joey Invite Beer Night, Friday, January 8th Meet Up (Members Only) 20
Joey Night of the Grizzlies documentary General Discussion 3
Joey Invite Beer Night in Salt Lake City, Friday December 11th. Meet Up (Members Only) 44
ZubenElGenubi Three Day/Two Night Trip: Ansel Adams Wilderness Trip Planning 5
tozo Night Photography Exhibit in SLC Photography 0
hamtron5000 Sunday Night in Dominguez Canyon Hiking & Camping 2