Newfoundland Mountains

DAA

Last weekend I went on a two night trip to the Newfies with some of the guys from expeditionutah. We had eight rigs total starting out. Cut over 100 miles of new tracks in the old snow, nobody had been out there very recently. Great time, great folks, great scenery, great weather, great food, great whiskey, great cigars, good camping. Also did my first ever snowshoeing on this trip, about 3 miles roundtrip from camp up to the stone cabing pictured below. Lots of fun!

Just a few pics from the trip.

20130216_Newfs_ExpUT-132W.jpg

20130216_Newfs_ExpUT-149W.jpg

20130216_Newfs_ExpUT-171_W.jpg

20130216_Newfs_ExpUT-196_W.jpg

20130216_Newfs_ExpUT-291W.jpg

20130216_Newfs_ExpUT-317W.jpg

20130216_Newfs_ExpUT-320W.jpg

- DAA

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Awesome! Nice to see snippets of a different world. Thanks for sharing!

Funny though...you list everything as being "great" except for the camping, which falls under the category of just "good". Pretty chilly nights to blame? :)

No, not the temperatures, it was plenty warm. Just the layout of camp, not very level - although it only took a few minutes to shape some snow before setting up my tent so that my cot was fairly level. Got pretty muddy around the campfire too. It was nice, don't get me wrong, but as far as actual camp sites go, yeah, good, not great.

- DAA

So are these the mountains across the bay from Stansbury Island? Insanely beautiful pics, BTW. That featured one is mind blowing.

Nick, no I think you are talking about the Lakeside range. The Newfies are about another 25 miles further west from there. It is possible to drive to the Newfies from the northern tip of the Lakesides, but to do so requires driving on the railroad right of way and is considered trespassing. And it is enforced, I know a couple guys that have been ticketed for going that way. The "legal" way of access to the Newfies is by coming down from the north, through the Hogup range, which is how we got there. Going by that route makes them pretty remote, not many people visit them at any time, but I think essentially nobody ever goes out there this time of year. Except us of course :D.

- DAA

beautiful! i love the featured image, too!

How vulnerable was the ground to rutting in the mud due to tire tracks? Were you able to keep a light footprint? Fantastic photography. I imagine the RR plows the causeway road?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
swmalone Looking for Info On How to Access Newfoundland Mountains Trip Planning 1
JackBurns Newfoundland Mountains April 2012 Hiking & Camping 5
BobFink Goschute Mountains, NV , Pisgah Peak, Hawk Watch Migration Site Everything Else 2
westy San Juan mountains, Colorado Hiking & Camping 8
M Backpacking 50 miles in the Uinta Mountains for 5 days with ~50 pound pack Backpacking 4
kansas good place to watch sunrise in the La Sal mountains Trip Planning 0
NorthwestWanderer First time in the High Uintas | Red Castle SNEAK Loop | I give these mountains 5 out of 5 stars Backpacking 7
westy Wallowa Mountains, Oregon Trip Planning 3
John Goering Pioneer Mountains, Montana <50" UTV trip Off Road 3
Kerrie at Thru We Go Packraft Trip in the Sierra Nevada Mountains Trip Reports 3
John Goering Boulder Lakes, Tobacco Root Mountains Off Road 0
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains South Meadow Creek Off Road 1
C Utah Mountains in Late May Trip Planning 12
S Mentasta Mountains, Wrangell St. Elias National Park and Preserve- family backpack Backpacking 1
Noun Sequitur Magdalena Mountains, Mesa Trail Loop Hiking & Camping 3
Mountain Wanderer Four Lakes Basin in the Southern Cabinet Mountains - Montana Backpacking 12
Artemus Wind River Mountains Conditions 2021 Trip Planning 17
J Death Valley NP Black Mountains and beyond Hiking Dec 19-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
scatman Grassy Benchmark - Grassy Mountains - April 24, 2021 Hiking & Camping 18
scatman Peak 6551 - Lakeside Mountains - April 17, 2021 Hiking & Camping 7
norwegianxplorer In the shadow of the Henry Mountains, Utah Backpacking 2
Mountain Wanderer Cedar Lakes Loop in Montana's Cabinet Mountains Wilderness Backpacking 4
Janice Porcupine Mountains in Michigan's Upper Peninsula - August 2-7 Backpacking 15
balzaccom Ruby Mountains, Nevada Hiking & Camping 2
fossana 2fer in the Tushars (Tushar Mountains, UT) Hiking & Camping 4
TeamJenkins17 Bighorn Mountains Trip Planning 2
T Grizzly bears in Wind River Mountains Noobs: Introduce yourself! 12
fossana Bat Mountain traverse (Funeral Mountains) Hiking & Camping 5
westy Meadow Valley Mountains Backpacking 7
westy Meadow Valley Mountains Hiking & Camping 2
scatman Tabby's Peak, Cedar Mountains - November 19, 2019 Hiking & Camping 10
westy Delamar Mountains. Again. Hiking & Camping 0
westy Delamar Mountains Hiking & Camping 4
Artemus Wind River Mountains Snowpack 2019/2020 Trip Planning 12
fossana Delano Peak the even longer way (Tushar Mountains, UT) Hiking & Camping 14
fossana Ruby Crest Trail (Ruby Mountains Wilderness) Backpacking 7
fossana Browns Point > Summit > Whipple loop (Pine Valley Mountains Wilderness, UT) Hiking & Camping 1
misSOULa Montana's Bitterroot Mountains: Big Creek Lakes and Ranger Point Backpacking 2
fossana Delano Peak the long way (Tushar Mountains, UT) Hiking & Camping 14
Parma Idaho's White Cloud Mountains - Boulder Chain Lakes - Chamberlain Basin Backpacking 8
N Wallowa Mountains and Seven Devils wilderness September Trip Planning 3
westy Clover Mountains Hiking & Camping 1
fossana Moapa Peak (Mormon Mountains Wilderness, NV) Hiking & Camping 5
MikeM Ski Mountaineering the Highland Mountains, MT Winter Sports 3
westy Tushar Mountains Trip Planning 2
westy El Dorado Mountains Hiking & Camping 11
fossana Bear Canyon/Sabino Canyon Loop (Santa Catalina Mountains, AZ) Hiking & Camping 3
John Goering Albro Lake, Tobacco root Mountains Off Road 1
misSOULa Montana's Bitterroot Mountains: Gem lake and Trapper Peak Backpacking 1
Bob Wind River Mountains Trip Planning 2