Newbe OR Noobs WHAT EVER!

Goldman

Hello everyone, new to this site so bare with me. At work right now trying to finish a job got bored so started planning solo trip to Coyote Gulch. I've hiked and backpack mostly around Az. drove through southern Utah early 80s and LOVED the natural beauty well retire their if they let me.
Goldman

Need important info on backpacking Coyote Gulch late April planning to enter through Jacob Hamblin trailhead don't have to much experience hiking cross country. Well i need a topo map of area or easy with just compass & head north 2miles, then carefully go down the gulch.
Goldman

I wouldn't recommend entering via the Jacob Hamblin Arch route if you are not experienced with slickrock hiking (due to the navigation required and the decent/ascent). I'd suggest entering from the TH at the end of the Fortymile Ridge Road and go in/out via the Crack-in-the-Wall.

I wouldn't recommend entering via the Jacob Hamblin Arch route if you are not experienced with slickrock hiking (due to the navigation required and the decent/ascent). I'd suggest entering from the TH at the end of the Fortymile Ridge Road and go in/out via the Crack-in-the-Wall.
Thanks Jammer for info, whats the big deal hiking on slick rock compared to rocky steep terrain which I've hiked down to Ryder
canyon south of Less ferry, also don't have 4wheel drive to get into the Crack trailhead. wondering to settle for entering
red well or hurricane wash trailhead like to read whats your opinion.
Thanks Goldman

Thanks Jammer for info, whats the big deal hiking on slick rock compared to rocky steep terrain which I've hiked down to Ryder
canyon south of Less ferry, also don't have 4wheel drive to get into the Crack trailhead. wondering to settle for entering
red well or hurricane wash trailhead like to read whats your opinion.
Thanks Goldman

I think Red Well or Hurricane Wash are good options. The first part of the hike is NO fun, but at least you wouldn't have to drive out the longer road. BTW -- the Fortymile Road is usually 2WD friendly -- only at times does it get muddy (or sandy after dry spells.) Chk with Visitor Center for conditions. Via Red Well you could check out Sleepy Hollow side canyon which is nice.

Friction walking on steep slickrock is an acquired skill. It's hard to explain, but with experience comes that "feel" one has for knowing how steep is too steep and how fast to move. Once difference vs other steep terrain -- there is not much to stop you if you fall from rolling/bouncing all the way to the bottom!