New Cooking Pot Needed.

I use the GSI Outdoors - Pinnacle Soloist. I know I probably should upgrade to some titanium for weight reasons, but my "need/want" list is so long that cooking gear falls on the side since mine works. Most of the time I do not do the MH meals though because it is so much easier to combine your own ingredients at home for a simple backcountry meal. Cheaper too!

I have been eyeing a Snow Peak model though... seems pretty good.

One thing I will say about the snow peak 900... I had one for a while and I find that "pan/lid" thing to be a huge pain. if you so much as think too hard it falls off. It's actually a big reason I switched to toaks. I have a toaks 900ml in addition to the 750 but don't use it too much. The toaks lids work a lot better for me.

The 900 lid thing sits around the base of the 750/700/whatever smaller pot quite nicely though. The 750 has its own lid which seems to work well. I boil water, drink coffee and eat oatmeal with them so as far as the bar being set at that lofty height they do the job.

I use a Toaks Light 650ml and a Snowpeak 900ml titanium pot (not sure what model). Love them both but i only boil water and make coffee.
So, George, you boil water only to make coffee or you only boil water for freeze dried and you make coffee or ??? So confused...

Haha i meant to say that i only boil water for freeze dry and coffee.
Comprendez. I spent a week of hard nights at 17k' in the Cordillera Real of Bolivia sharing a tent with two brothers-in-arms years ago. We were all sick from the touristas (contaminated food and water induced violent ejection) when we got there. We hucked our 70# rucks up to attempt a peak and were shut down by dangerous and dry conditions. We opened up a 4 person freeze dried, aluminized container of Mountain House or somesuch and attempted to eat it with no success. Looking at the label we totaled up 200 calories each. Each! After that 7 days of suffering, and for many years with similar outcomes, I look at that type of aluminized, foil container and get physically ill. It is still a problem for me. I'd rather a fresh cucumber any day :)

I was on the hunt for a new cooking pot about 4 years ago as well. I ended up with the Toaks 900 (wide). I've been very happy with it. Titanium probably isn't the best for "cooking". I usually just use it for heating and boiling water. It fits my stove and fuel canister nicely. Back in my research, I actually wanted one of the Evernew ones...but they were out of stock and tough to find. Here's the old thread where we discussed some of the pots back then.

Good luck, let us know what you end up with! =)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
scatman What's Cooking? General Discussion 330
W "Cooking clothes" in grizzly country General Discussion 10
Outdoors24 Your car camping cooking setup General Discussion 39
Dave B. Cooking for a large group of Scouts Trip Planning 5
Dan What's your favorite recipe for cooking backcountry fish? General Discussion 15
S WTB: Older style MSR Titan 2 Liter Titanium Pot Gear Market: Buy, Sell, Trade 0
trasmuson3 Sea to Summit X Pot Gear 12
Mike K Backpacking Pot/Kettle/Mug Gear 20
gloo pot for open flames Gear 2
uintafly Power Pot General Discussion 1
Don Backpacking pot charges USB while you cook. General Discussion 6
J Info needed: Bown's Canyon, Long Canyon Trip Planning 8
Perry A Bit Off Topic - Prayers Needed General Discussion 69
Titans Pharaoh Lake Wilderness- some much needed Vitamin W Hiking & Camping 5
pstm13 HELP NEEDED- Idaho in Early June for 2-3 Days Trip Planning 6
Upgrayedd Sawtooths Beta needed Trip Planning 2
LarryBoy A week in Zion... Advice needed! Trip Planning 7
KevinBoyer New Water Filter Needed...Suggestions?? Gear 48
OCArch Suggestion Needed- 4 days in Southern Utah (Escalante?) in Mid-October Trip Planning 11
H suggestion needed: 9-day solo Winds near Elkhart Park Trip Planning 5
T Advice Needed for 5 night Backpack route in Southern Utah Trip Planning 2
Brian Skibbe 200 mile Yellowstone loop in June. Route advice needed. Trip Planning 15
Archbishop I want bag a few peaks. Advice needed. Trip Planning 33
trampalong Mylar and Mylar Bivy Advice Needed Gear 18
Uncle_Dim Wasatch Front Quick Trip Advice Needed Trip Planning 8
W Shuttle Needed from Vernal UT to Leidy Peak - August 6th General Discussion 5
markj Models Needed for Monument Valley Trip Trip Planning 4
mtthwlw Protect the Southwest. Action is needed before November 16. General Discussion 0
A New guy here needed assistance! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
fiber Hanksville Shuttle Needed: April 18 from Burr Point to West Rock Canyon Trip Planning 0
steve Maze help needed: Route into Water Canyon from Chimney Rock? Trip Planning 9
mtthwlw 25 mile backpacking trip ideas needed Trip Planning 8
uintahiker Recipe Resource Needed Questions, Suggestions & Support 1
weston Uinta car camping- few spots picked out, help needed! Trip Planning 0
C Volunteer Fishing Instructors Needed in Layton Utah General Discussion 1
A Labyrinth Time Needed Trip Planning 7
Bob Beta needed Grand Gulch area Trip Planning 6
I Last minute advice needed! Trip Planning 6
Tyler Fat Man's Misery teammates needed next weekend Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Michael Help needed!! General Discussion 7
Yvonne Uintas recommendations needed Trip Planning 57
baltocharlie rental car needed General Discussion 10
J Capture Clip / Black Rapid Advice Needed Gear 8