New chair from Mountainsmith

WasatchWill

Ready For More
Has anyone seen this new Slingback chair Mountainsmith is rolling out?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6X944J/?tag=backcountrypo-20

It uses your trekking poles, if you carry them as a support. I think I'm going to get me one to try out and still probably use my little sit pad with it for a bit of extra cushioning. I've tried something similar with my little sit pad and trying to use my pack as a back rest propped up by my poles, but I was never able to master it. This Slingback looks to be a lot simpler at only 5 ounces more.

Here's Backpacker's editor choice review with a video showing it off:

http://www.backpacker.com/gear/mountainsmith-slingback-chair

Oh snap! And I was thinking about getting a Sierra Designs High Route 1FL tent that uses trekking poles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oh snap! And I was thinking about getting a Sierra Designs High Route 1FL tent that uses tracking poles.

I'm planning on ordering me up a Tarptent Notch soon which also uses trekking poles (unless you get the optional accessory poles they offer with it) and I was thinking if I got the Slingback, I'd just let the tent lay flat when I'm using the chair and then just slide the poles back under the tent to prop it back up when it's time to get in.

Compare to this one http://www.litesmith.com/qwikback-ul-chair/

Never tried either one, but would be interesting in seeing real reviews of either one

Wow! I didn't know that existed either. A bit steep on the price, but that is tempting for half the weight and the fact that it would save me from having to pull my trekking poles out from the Tarptent I plan to get soon. I wish there was a way for me to try out both and see if there's a big difference between comfort and stability. I'm sure the Slingback offers a little more surface area support for the back, but as a slender guy under 6 feet tall, that Litesmith might be plenty sufficient. Hmmm...

I think I've gotten tired of sitting on logs and rocks, so this chair looks like a pretty good option. I usually carry trekking poles when I'm backpacking, especially when I'm carrying my trekking-pole dependent TarpTent, so this is pretty much a no-brainer. Thanks for putting this up here!

You're going to love your TarpTent, by the way.

I saw this on best gear list and bought it. It came this week along with a ton of other goodies (moma's been shopping!) I LOVE IT! Trying to come up with some light poles so I can take it bikepacking. For regular backpacking and if you take treking poles it works fabulously.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm copying much of this over from a reply to @blueeyes on here recent bikepack trip....

I was going to get one of the Mountainsmith Slingbacks as I brought attention to in the OP, but they've been out of stock everywhere I've looked online. Then this thread led me to that lighter Litesmith Quikback chair noted above by @wsp_scott. While the Quikback is half the weight of the Slingback, it is also over twice the cost so that then inspired me to make my own. Here's a pic of me testing it out in my house. When the Slingbacks are available again, I still may get one just so that when I take my older children out for one-on-one trips, they have have something to sit back on as well, because this did cost me a little more to make, about $30 with the carbon fiber poles I ordered from Zpacks costing $20 alone. What I made is about 2 ounces lighter though, coming in at 3.1 ounces. I have a hair bungee holding the poles together and I pair it all with my little sit pad from Dutchware.

upload_2017-4-1_16-53-17.png

upload_2017-4-1_16-53-36.png

Add pad, and it comes out at 3.8 oz.

upload_2017-4-1_16-53-59.png

That looks real nice and the weight is fantastic. You can't beat the price either.

I've been using a Helinox Ground chair for both backpacking and dayhiking too during luxury, gourmet lunches, super duper comfortable and light at 1.4 lbs but not near as light as yours and it costs a lot more money though we did get some pretty good deals on ours.

I'm copying much of this over from a reply to @blueeyes on here recent bikepack trip....

I was going to get one of the Mountainsmith Slingbacks as I brought attention to in the OP, but they've been out of stock everywhere I've looked online. Then this thread led me to that lighter Litesmith Quikback chair noted above by @wsp_scott. While the Quikback is half the weight of the Slingback, it is also over twice the cost so that then inspired me to make my own. Here's a pic of me testing it out in my house. When the Slingbacks are available again, I still may get one just so that when I take my older children out for one-on-one trips, they have have something to sit back on as well, because this did cost me a little more to make, about $30 with the carbon fiber poles I ordered from Zpacks costing $20 alone. What I made is about 2 ounces lighter though, coming in at 3.1 ounces. I have a hair bungee holding the poles together and I pair it all with my little sit pad from Dutchware.

View attachment 53820

View attachment 53821

View attachment 53822

That's awesome @WasatchWill! I might try my hand at one. What's the material you used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's awesome @WasatchWill! I might try my hand at one. What's the material you used?

I just picked up a yard of standard ripstop nylon that Joanns has back in their Utility fabric section, and then a roll of polyester ribbon for trim that I folded over. I think it was 5/6 inches wide or something like that. For the reinforcement piece in the upper where the poles insert, that came from some old fabric I had bought at Walmart a long time ago. It is a thick fabric made of vinyl or something like that. Joanns had something similar by their rip-stop nylon that was black.

View attachment 53820

View attachment 53821

View attachment 53822

That is awesome, I'm glad I could help provide some inspiration. How comfortable is it to sit in/on? Comfortable with a kid on your lap? I was worried that it would press in between the shoulder blades.

P.S. this makes me wish I could sew :)

That is awesome, I'm glad I could help provide some inspiration. How comfortable is it to sit in/on? Comfortable with a kid on your lap? I was worried that it would press in between the shoulder blades.

P.S. this makes me wish I could sew :)
It's really not bad at all. Much better than no back support. I think I'm going to enjoy it. I still have to admit though, Helinox style chairs are still more comfortable, but this is a fine compromise between weight and comfort.

I ordered one of Massdrop's Mountainsmith slingback chairs. I want to look at how they construct it. If I'd noticed your design first, I probably wouldn't have ordered the commercial one. I would like to see about making a rain cover that has the pockets on it, and maybe a little flap to lengthen the seat. I used to use a rain cover all the time, and when I stopped and sat on a log, I would take off the rain cover and put it on the log as a barrier between myself and ticks. My pack cover was easy enough to put on and take off, and I could do it quickly, and so it served as a double duty item. Then, on a very windy day in Rocky Mountain National Park, the pack cover disappeared (toured Oklahoma?). At about the same time, I decided to lighten things, so just didn't get another pack cover. I now look at this design, and think that between the design that Ripstopbytheroll has for pack covers, and the pocket on the backside of this chair, I think I could create a dual purpose item. I'll let you know.