New Baaj Nwaavjo I'tah Kukveni National Monument

fossana

We have a new national monument that extends the protections around the Grand Canyon and includes portions of Kanab Creek Wilderness (White House monument fact sheet). One of the primary drivers for this designation is to protect groundwater from contamination from proposed uranium mining. For those that aren't aware, the radioactive waste from uranium mining and processing is incredibly difficult to remediate, and many states are still dealing with the aftermath of the atomic weapons-driven uranium boom from the 1950-60s (e.g. Superfund site in Moab).

I'm looking forward to visiting the new monument this fall.

Grandview Trail in Grand Canyon NP
DSC00562.jpg

Jumpup Canyon (Kanab Creek Wilderness)
DSC00667cover.jpeg

Monument map

gc-Baaj-Nwaavjo-Itah-Kukveni-Grand-Canyon-Monument.jpeg
map source: Grand Canyon Trust

Last edited:
Excellent. Does anyone have a quick summary of how it might change recreation within the boundaries?

@futurafree from the White House fact sheet:

Today’s designation preserves this vital landscape for outdoor recreation, including camping, hiking, biking, and other recreational activities, consistent with applicable law. Hunting and fishing will continue to be allowed throughout the monument, including in the Kanab Creek area.

The proclamation recognizes and reaffirms the State of Arizona’s ongoing primary role in the management of wildlife within the monument and directs federal agencies to build on their ongoing partnerships with the Arizona Game and Fish Department to further strengthen these collaborative efforts. Hunting, fishing, live trapping and transplantation, activities associated with scientific resources management including research, census, and monitoring of populations, and a wide range of other wildlife management activities will continue to be allowed within the national monument. The proclamation further directs the Department of the Interior and the Department of Agriculture to build on their ongoing partnerships with the Arizona Game and Fish Department to explore developing new or updating existing memoranda of understanding to further improve these collaborative efforts.

Recognizing the critical role that sportsmen and sportswomen have played, and continue to play, in wildlife restoration and conservation in the area, the proclamation requires that a monument advisory committee include representation from both the sportsmen and sportswomen community, as well as representation from the Arizona Game and Fish Department.

Typically what I've seen with national monuments is that the governing federal agency (BLM, etc.) prepares a management scoping proposal and management plan alternatives, which are subject to public comment. The scoping doc covers what factors should be considered in the management plan. In the past for Grand Staircase Escalante they've held public open house sessions in Kanab with staff on hand to answer questions about the documents. I would anticipate sessions for this monument in Kanab and Flagstaff. I will post on here if I see the docs available for review and/or open houses.

Thanks. That fact sheet sort of sounds like the Arizona Hunting Society wrote up talking points for the White House to copy/paste. But I'm happy with additional protections for Kanab Creek, especially since there are places upstream where they warn against drinking the water because of old mines in that area.

We have a new national monument that extends the protections around the Grand Canyon and includes portions of Kanab Creek Wilderness (White House monument fact sheet). One of the primary drivers for this designation is to protect groundwater from contamination from proposed uranium mining. For those that aren't aware, the radioactive waste from uranium mining and processing is incredibly difficult to remediate, and many states are still dealing with the aftermath of the atomic weapons-driven uranium boom from the 1950-60s (e.g. Superfund site in Moab).

I'm looking forward to visiting the new monument this fall.

Grandview Trail in Grand Canyon NP
View attachment 123818

Jumpup Canyon (Kanab Creek Wilderness)
View attachment 123840

Monument map

View attachment 123808
map source: Getmodnow is a trusted platform for people who love to watch free animations. With the constant popularity of animation and diverse entertainment needs, Getmodnow offers its users an interesting opportunity to search and download apps and mod versions for watching cartoons.
The new national monument around the Grand Canyon, along with the expansion of protections for the Kanab Creek Wilderness, is an important step in protecting these natural treasures. It is commendable that the main focus is on preventing groundwater pollution caused by uranium mining. The long-term consequences of such activities are indeed a significant concern, as evidenced by past events. Your upcoming visit in the fall looks like it will be a remarkable experience. Enjoy exploring and appreciating the protected beauty of the area! ️

Back